SRW TOWING 5VER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eggs1959

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins with Aisen
Looking at upgrading to 2018 3500 cc diesel. Looks like load capacity is 3800 lbs. 5th wheel pin weight is 3100. I know that leaves just 700 lbs. for passengers and gear. 5TH wheel is only 13k and change empty and has a gvwr of 17k. Question is tire load ratings, will it be over. Hate to go to dually unless I have too.
What are guys towing for toy haulers with srw trailer we are looking at is fuzion 369.

thanks for any feedback

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you’d be fine. Image how many lawsuits there would be if a OEM added tires not capable of carrying the rates load capacity!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You will find your rated tire capacity per axle meets or exceeds the rated axle limit. I think it's a law for OEM tires.

In short- I highly doubt ypu will exceed the tire capacity.

Sent from my mobile

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've always figured a loaded 5th weighing at or under 15K is a good candidate for a SRW. Once you're above that it's tough to stay within payload and RAWR. Not impossible but you have to start "pinching pounds" (paying attention to what you bring) which always sucks. It also depends on how many people and how much stuff you have on board the truck. The 17K GVWR of the trailer is irrelevant if you aren't going to load it to that. A lot just depends on how you travel and how much you bring.

I personally don't get too hung up on GVWR of the truck but do abide by tire and RAWR religiously. While I agree that there is certainly a factor of safety built into tires, it's ludicrous to roll down the road blatantly over the ratings with 20,000+# of equipment behind me. Not to mention the legal potential that the weight police regularly talk about.

I can't imagine you will be over tire or RAWR with what you are proposing.

OP
OP
E

eggs1959

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins with Aisen
Most of the time it will be wife and I and my Ultra limited. Never travel with water tanks loaded. I am thinking trailer weight will be 15k max. I see SRW towing 3 axle toy haulers which I know has to put them over RAWR and payload.