Stalling out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I have been on every forum trying to find help but to no avail. Here is the problem, Truck will just shut off while driving ,pull over ,it may start back up or it might just crank but not turn all the way over, might have to sit five minutes or 30. Sometimes if I bang around it will start. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, o2 sensors, cat, fuel pump, coil. It smells strongly of gas when this happens also. When it dies its not like when you are running out of gas its like it just shuts off. I have seen alot of other people describe a problem like this but no answers. I have wiggled pcm wires and every wire I can reach . Does anyone have any suggestions? Can a pcm be tested before buying one? I am at the end of ideas here.

OP
OP

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WTF kind of answer is that ? Yeah I will climb under the hood while driving and video tape it. Is that what kind of forum this is ? What a troll.

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
No that isn't what kind of forum this is. There are alot of helpful folks here, just kick back and relax a minute and I am sure you will get some helpful advice here.

OP
OP

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, thank you I will. I'm just so frustrated with this problem. I'm a lady and trying to work on my truck the best I can , and that just seemed like a really silly answer.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
What he meant was in the truck, while driving, if you could get a clip of it stalling out. That way we could see, or try to hear anything out of the ordinary.

- Does it feel like it is starting to loose power or choking up before it dies?
- All lights, radio etc stay on or trun off when it shuts off?
- Have you had the battery tested? Alternator tested? If it is losing power and just shuts off it might be a weak battery or alternator not working correctly.
- When was the last time you had the oil changed? Plugs replaced?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Holy cow, calm down! I was trying to type on the tapatalk forum viewer on my phone, and I got a message, so it got sent before I could type more.

If your trying to ask for help, then acting like that will get you gone fast.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Sounds like the spark is getting knocked out and the cylinders are flooding. Thats why it has to sit to try and clear themselves out. You can prob get a cheap spark tester to check it during a failer to see if your getting ignition.

Race1Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What he meant was in the truck, while driving, if you could get a clip of it stalling out. That way we could see, or try to hear anything out of the ordinary.

- Does it feel like it is starting to loose power or choking up before it dies?
- All lights, radio etc stay on or trun off when it shuts off?
- Have you had the battery tested? Alternator tested? If it is losing power and just shuts off it might be a weak battery or alternator not working correctly.
- When was the last time you had the oil changed? Plugs replaced?

Exactly, How many miles are on the truck and when is the last time you had the fuel filter changed (it's in the tank).

Here's an example: Mine did something similar. Conditions- While driving down the freeway, or after a quick burst of speed it would lose power and die. If I let it sit a bit it would start up again and drive normal.

For me the problem was the fuel filter being clogged, or a weak fuel pump... you change them together so who knows. Solved my problem or fuel starvation after continued use, or a quick burst.

Joe

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't go buying a pcm just yet, as that might not be the problem. Like Ryan said if the lights go dim at all while the truck dies, it might indicate a battery or altenator problem. And if by "banging around" you mean wiggling wires and tapping on stuff, then you might be moving a ground or wire that's loose, and it's making contact and letting the vehicle start.

Last edited:
OP
OP

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appolgize for snapping I thought you were trying to be funny. But when it dies it is like someone has just turned the key off , no sputtering or anything like when you run out of gas. It has 149k on it , it has had new plugs about 2 years ago. What would cause it to lose spark and flood the cylinders?

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
No worries, I understand the frustration.

Without being there to physically see how the vehicle acts, this might be a tough one to diagnose.

I think the no coughing a sputtering will pretty much illiminate any type of fuel problem. If a filter was getting clogged or it was losing fuel pressure, it would definately cough and sputter.

Also if you smelling fuel, it sounds like maybe the electrical system is shutting off, and leaving the unburnt fuel. So I'd start there. Have your altenator and battery checked. It's a free service at any autoparts store like O'reilly's or advanced, so it wont cost you anything. Also, check all the wiring connections from the altenator to the battery and all the grounds. Lets try to illiminate those possibilities first. Lets us know what you find.

OP
OP

64stacey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for being understanding ! I am going to try to get it to auto parts tomorrow and have them check battery and alt. Will let you all know .
Thanks again

Race1Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No worries, I understand the frustration.

Without being there to physically see how the vehicle acts, this might be a tough one to diagnose.

I think the no coughing a sputtering will pretty much illiminate any type of fuel problem. If a filter was getting clogged or it was losing fuel pressure, it would definately cough and sputter.

Also if you smelling fuel, it sounds like maybe the electrical system is shutting off, and leaving the unburnt fuel. So I'd start there. Have your altenator and battery checked. It's a free service at any autoparts store like O'reilly's or advanced, so it wont cost you anything. Also, check all the wiring connections from the altenator to the battery and all the grounds. Lets try to illiminate those possibilities first. Lets us know what you find.

If you smell gas then it's not the problem but in my case mine didn't sputter and cough. it was so wierd because it felt like it was just losing power. press harder on the gas and still getting less power, start going slower and slower until I had to pull over and then it would die. Because it didn't sputter it threw me for a loop at first too so don't completely rule this out, unless you have replaced them. At 143k miles if you hadn't I would definitely look here too.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
What about the radio and other electronics?? If you have the radio on and the truck dies does the radio die with it?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have had my share of electrical gremlins. lol Its a good place to start.

I'm going to say it is probably a loose ground wire somewhere.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Not exactly, when my battery died it would still keep the gauges illuminated and radio lit up. If it it's electrical it sound like there it's enough juice to start it but not enough to keep it running. My money it's on the alternator

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
This is true. But I'm thinking more along battery ground coming loose going down the road.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Pretty sure you can run the truck without the battery connected once it is started .