Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi. My name is Sean, and I have a starting problem. A bout a month ago my 96 1500 5.9l 4x4 starting getting tough to start. It was acting like it did when the fuel pump died so I installed a new fuel pump. It did not come with a new rollover/check valve, so I pulled the one from the old pump and moved it over to the new pump, and buttoned everything back up. That did not fix the problem. I have since changed the plugs and wires. Still nothing. Up until this past week if I tried to start the truck 5 times (yes, exactly 5 90% of the time) it would start up. the past week it has been increasingly difficult to start and this morning it did not start. It will crank it just wont start. I drove it yesterday. It took 13 attempts of cranking it, letting off the starter for a few seconds, and cranking it some more. It could be a fluke, but the 2 times I started it yesterday, it started to fire up and then died. I could have let off the ignition to soon, I wouldn't rule it out but I doubt it. Once it starts it runs fine. If anyone has any tips that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
What happens when you give it gas? Does it stay running? Could be an IAC thats going out, its a common issue for the trucks.

OP
OP
D

Darby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once it starts everything seems normal. No changes when I give it throttle. Yesterday I replaced the ECT. I found the old one disconnected and the plug totally disintegrated. I was getting a p0118 code. that's why I replaced the ECT. Replacing it did nothing. By the time I get done with this I will have an all new 96 Ram.

OP
OP
D

Darby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I got into it a little farther. I pulled the throttle body and checked out the IAC, it was fairly dirty and cleaning it off with a rag sprayed with carb cleaner did a lot by the looks of the rag but not much looking at the part, so I got a new one, installed it. No luck. The truck is still wants the key cycled/cranked 7+ times.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Today I got into it a little farther. I pulled the throttle body and checked out the IAC, it was fairly dirty and cleaning it off with a rag sprayed with carb cleaner did a lot by the looks of the rag but not much looking at the part, so I got a new one, installed it. No luck. The truck is still wants the key cycled/cranked 7+ times.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? it would quickly rule out the fuel system.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Check your compression as well as fuel pressure like stated above.