State says my lift is too tall...almost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went to get my state inspection done today, and the mechanic said my rear bumper measurement just barely passed. I only have a 6" lift and 37's. Well i guess i might as well forget about an additional body lift.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drop it as well, then after inspection raise it back up.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird you have inspections for height? They don't inspect anything here. I was pulled over for a "lifted jeep" once. But it was basically a bs reason to pull over and check for booze because it was at 1am following a football game

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I agree, drop air pressure LOL

Reactions: U&A

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Find adifferent shop for inspections. Some are strict to everything and others ....not so much

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree i can put stock tires on so it will pass, but a state cop will pull you over. Its a he k of a fine. And if they pull you over a second time, your screwed. They are asseholes in pa. I had to make tubular steel fender flares for my jeep that fully covered my 37x13.50 mud grapplers.

IMG_1939.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There you go... short of moving, you have three choices. You can either make the mod pass existing law somehow, (like your fender flares), fight to change the law, or hope-you-don't-get-caught-pay-to-play.

What's the purpose of going higher than 6' and 37's for an on-road truck? Does the body lift really serve a purpose or just appearances? If it was TRULY an off-road capability question, the bumper height wouldn't be an issue because the truck would be a purpose-built off-roader rather than a jack-of-all trades-master-of-none.

I'd either quit lifting while i was still legal, or lower the bumpers after the lift (likely destroying the look of the lift).

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, at best, it sounds like that may have been a considerate warning from the inspector to not waste your cash on going higher.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I lived in PA and had lifted trucks (square body chevys) we would do some creative things to get the bumper height down

We used to weld 2 bumpers together on top of each other, or make a pipe bumper under the factory bumper. My buddy used to just put a big "hoop" hanging down made out of 3 inch tubing.

I know that law sounds dumb and unnecessary , but it actually is a good idea for the safety of anyone in any car you might hit in a crash. I have seen the damage when a lifted trucks bumper hits a car at the roof line.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, at best, it sounds like that may have been a considerate warning from the inspector to not waste your cash on going higher.

I wanted a bigger gap between the tire and flare, but its not worth the trouble. Gonna add bilsteins to level it, and im done. Im not a fan of giving police a reason to pull you over.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well if you did the body lift and didn’t put in the bumper relocation brackets on the bumper it would still be the same height it is now, Depending what size tires you put on after the body lift tho. The bumper gap would just look stupid unless you just did it for inspections. PA just sucks lol

rdefayette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel C code
Went to get my state inspection done today, and the mechanic said my rear bumper measurement just barely passed. I only have a 6" lift and 37's. Well i guess i might as well forget about an additional body lift.

Doesn't matter with a body lift. A body lift only lifts the body not the frame. The bumpers are bolted/attached to the frame. :) Bumper height won't change with a body lift.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I say if you go high enough they'll just run into the tires. Might be a softer impact.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
What is the PA height ?

Just had mine inspected with 6" lift 1.5" body and 37" tires ?

They didn't say anything to me ?