Steering adjustment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apologies if posted in wrong section. Steering concern happening. So I had about 2 inches of play at the wheel. I adjusted the hex nut at the top of the steering box 1 turn. It took almost all of the play out down to about 1/3 inch of play left not crazy tight but not loose. It made the wheel harder to turn but didn't seem to bind or anything and it didn't make it that harder to turn and it wasn't really harder to return it to center and it did return to center. I never looked to see if the wheel centered on it's own without physical help right after I did this and I hear that's a good way to tell if you overtightened the adjuster. A few days and about 110 miles later some of my play is back but not as bad as before the adjustment about 1/2 inch of play and the wheel is easier to turn again. Is this from overtightening and the box wearing out or just it wore in a little after the adjustment? Should I back off the adjustment about 1/4 of a turn to prevent it from getting worse?

Just a side note I have a skyjacker dual steering stabilizer on the truck and I took one of the stabilizers off cause the u-bolt on the mount broke and it allowed it to slide and twist and hit everything so I took it off until I could get a new ubolt to prevent it from hitting everything. I didn't notice the looser steering again until I took it off really..... could this also be what loosened it up just a bit??

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
steering stabilizer only dampens steering feel and removes vibration. Basically it hides defective parts. That and i think they look gaudy are why i refuse to run one. Factory is more than sufficient and i beat on my truck pretty good.

Before you go about trying to find where you have play at, verify. Though you may feel "play" in the wheel, you may have forgotten to watch the tires when doing this or the rest of the steering linkage. Have somebody watch the tires while you wiggle the wheel. If zero movement watch the steering shaft. No movement watch the pitman arm. Follow this trend

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye