Steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 ram 2500 outdoorsman with a 5.7 hemi. I'm thinking this is power steering fluid but not sure. Need some help and possibly how to fix/diagnose. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8201.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8202.jpg
    IMG_8202.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8203.jpg
    IMG_8203.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
ramoutdoorsman

ramoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bad is that to change?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How bad is that to change?

I personally would look into getting a remanufactured box, and swap it. You will need a pitman arm puller and a good impact to get the pitman arm off.

If you get a remanufactured box, you will have minimal downtime (with a core charge until you bring in your box).

Advanced Auto has a limited lifetime warranty (not sure what that means) box for just under $300 with a $160 core charge:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ic-27-5203/10314477-P?searchTerm=steering+box

I've changed boxes before on a jeep:
1)Remove steering arm to pitman arm, then pitman arm

1a) Put pressure on the pitman arm with the puller, then tap the side of the pitman arm around the splines with a hammer. Then add more presser, and hammer again. Repeat this over and over until it pops off.

2) Remove hoses (drain all fluid that comes out) you can do this befer the pitman arm if you want

3) Swap boxes (when you pick up the reman box, you will realize how heavy these boxes are, so be very careful it doesn't fall on anything you care about). You will have to remove the steering column from the box. I am not sure there are clock springs on these trucks, but DONT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL WHILE YOU HAVE THE BOX REMOVED... VERY IMPORTANT OR YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THIS BY REMOVING YOUR STEERING WHEEL...

4) Attach hoses, attach steering arm and pitman arm (Strong impact)

5) Bleed the system, jack up the vehicle, with the engine off and key in (unlock the steering column) turn from lock to lock 20-30 times while topping off the reservoir (pays to have a helper). Once the bubbling stops in the reservoir and the level is stable, you are good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramoutdoorsman

ramoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot, I'll look into that.

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine weeps like that too. I have a '11. I topped up the res 2 years ago and it hasn't dropped at all. I'm very aware of the way it looks and crank my steering side to side simply to see if I can feel something wrong when I'm driving thru the acreage. Fluid levels have never dropped. But I have never cleaned it off either for fear that the grime and crud is keeping it sealed maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 2500
Just dealt with this on my 2012 2500, it's likely that the steering box sector shaft is pitted and allowing power steering fluid to leak out past the seal. Mine was leaking a good bit and I opted to order a Redhead Steering Gear box. It was expensive($500 + $300 core + $70 two-way shipping), but worth it for how much it tightened up the steering and the company's reputation. They did knock off $150 on my core refund due to the pitting on the sector shaft as they said it was unusable. They stated that they are seeing a lot of these failures on this generation steering box. If it's not too bad yet, it will be soon enough.

Attachments

• INV 92639.jpg
    INV 92639.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 15