Steering Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Well, i got a 100 dollar track bar from advance, and me and my neighbor got it installed on the truck yesterday. i backed out of his driveway and could feel that steering was a little tighter right away. but as i drove it, all the freeplay was still there with no change at all. should i try adjusting the screw on top of the steering box again? i did adjust it a few months back, but i should i adjust it more or just replace the box? if i replace it, im gonna get a rebuilt factory one from advance prob..

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
well, as im drivin down the road, i can move the wheel from center to either the left or right about a quarter of a turn without the front wheels respondin at all. theres alot of free play in it that i want to get out. its a pain to drive the truck like this when youre constantly fightin with the wheel to keep it on the road lol

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
most 2nd gens have this problem. I am going to try that product on that link I posted, it seems to make sense and his video is pretty informative.

I have also heard the hellbent steel steering stabilizer makes a pretty good difference.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The last thing I would do is buy another junk steering box from an auto parts store. You'll be lucky to get a year out of it.
Redhead steering boxes are an alternative, but I've heard the quality has been spotty lately. But at least they attempt to fix the issues a stock box (the design has been around since the 60's) has. They are not much more than the rebuilt.

If money isn't an issue I'd go with a Borgenson box and steering shaft. Yeah it's 700 bucks, but it's a brand new part built to outlast your truck.

But before we blame the box...mine has 141k on it and it is fine...or tighten down the allen screw...driving the gears together and causing them to wear faster...be sure that either your shaft bushing isn't shot or that you didn't miss a worn component in your front end. Recheck your tie rods and ball joints, and have someone watch your steering shaft and pitman arm as you turn the wheel.
If your shaft busing is worn, it will clunk and there will be some lateral play in the wheel.

I don't recommend steering braces unless they've modded. I've seen the sector shaft broken off because the frame didn't move and the twist was applied to the shaft. Obviously this is extreme situations, but it has happened.

I've never needed any of that.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
no, my truck doesnt have a leveling kit. the guy i bought it from said it had a tuff country 5" suspension lift, but after lookin through their kits for my truck, they only have a 4.5" so im thinkin thats what it has. but other than that, thats the only suspension mod it has that i know of.

As for the front end, im not sure what to replace next. my steering wheel itself only has freeplay when turnin it...there is no lateral play in it. But from under the hood, i can move the shaft slightly as described in that video, but i can also turn the shaft itself from left to right by hand with ease. I also do get that little clunk from the shaft too when turning. But bc of the fact that i can spin the shaft without the front wheels turnin, that leads me to believe that the box is shot. at least thats what im leanin toward more. im not sure though lol

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
From the symptoms you describe you need to replace the shaft bushing first then go from there.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Well, today i got underneath the truck and tightened up that allen key on top of the steering box. i tired this once before for about 3 or 4 turns i think it was. but today i did another prob 4 or 5 turns and after drivin it around the block a bit, its not as bad as it was. theres still some play in it, but i can at least control the truck way better now so i think im just gonna leave it for now and maybe do that bushing..or the box soon lol

96ram 99f150 and 75f100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
96 ram 1500 318 4x4.

i got a bad wobble when i hit 50 mph, got to looking and ended up replaceing all tie rod ends and dampner. both wheels are balanced and in good condition. but noticed the gear box shaft that the pitman arm attaches to is broke and has dropped far enough that the pitman arm is resting on the sway bar. gonna replace the gear box! but could there be anything else causeing it to wobble or might it all be in the gear box?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
96 ram 1500 318 4x4.

i got a bad wobble when i hit 50 mph, got to looking and ended up replaceing all tie rod ends and dampner. both wheels are balanced and in good condition. but noticed the gear box shaft that the pitman arm attaches to is broke and has dropped far enough that the pitman arm is resting on the sway bar. gonna replace the gear box! but could there be anything else causeing it to wobble or might it all be in the gear box?
I would def replace that box, and you might as well do the pitman arm too while youre at it. Other than that, im not too sure what else you could replace on it considerin you did the tie rods and everything. Did you get the truck realigned recently after doin all the work?

96ram 99f150 and 75f100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
found another problem when i went to get an alignment after installing the gearbox! the Rh steering knuckle is bent and twisted! cannot find a part number or replacement anywhere! lost and out of options!