steering wheel heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We actually have low temps this winter and I really like my heated steering wheel, but it seems to be all over the place, nice and warm at first then spotty after a while. Never seems to stay really warm I usually turn it off after a bit, how's yours?

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Mines the same as yours. Sometimes feels hot other times I can barely tell it's on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply, it's kind of a let down, feels great at first.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine works great. When it's 30 below I can still touch it. Also helps warm my frozen fingers. I turn it off once the cab warms up.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine works great too, almost too great in fact. I turn it off after hands have warmed, generally around five minutes.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine seems to get warmer at first and then cool down a little as well. I was hoping it would get a little hotter but it's still a nice feature. Mine definitely gets warm enough to help warm up ice cold hands.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like they are hit or miss, I got the miss, small complaint as the rest of the truck is really great.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny I stumbled across this. Mine the other day seemed to almost shut off after about 20 mins (ran on autostart 15 mins) then I just got down the road, and it went cold almost shut off type temp. Now.. it was -36 here, so maybe it gave up? But then the other day after work, ran on autostart for about 10 mins and was hot for the 15 mins I wanted to use it. Minor complaint but my old 34yr old hands get cold wayyy to easy, and a feature that came with the truck I never thought I'd use, is amazing!

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Funny I stumbled across this. Mine the other day seemed to almost shut off after about 20 mins (ran on autostart 15 mins) then I just got down the road, and it went cold almost shut off type temp. Now.. it was -36 here, so maybe it gave up? But then the other day after work, ran on autostart for about 10 mins and was hot for the 15 mins I wanted to use it. Minor complaint but my old 34yr old hands get cold wayyy to easy, and a feature that came with the truck I never thought I'd use, is amazing!

Per the manual;

Once the heated steering wheel has been turned on, it will operate for an average of 80 minutes before automatically shutting off.
This time may vary based on the temperature of the surrounding environment or the heated steering wheel may not turn on when it is already warm.

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Per the manual;

Once the heated steering wheel has been turned on, it will operate for an average of 80 minutes before automatically shutting off.
This time may vary based on the temperature of the surrounding environment or the heated steering wheel may not turn on when it is already warm.
Well mine seems to last about 15 mins, then feels luke warm at best.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea mine gets super hot for a while then seems like it fades out but you can still feel it tho. I love it, never thought it would be such a great feature.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine works great but I usually shut it off once it warms my hands a bit.

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was actually commenting about this to my son the other day. I figured this was just a great feature that worked with the auto climate control. It's nice and warm when you first start your truck and it's cold in the cabin, but once the cabin warms up, the steering wheel cools down, because it's not really needed anymore. I actually like that it does that, because a hot steering wheel in a warm cabin would make my hands sweat while driving. It's my opinion that this is a feature and there's nothing wrong.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the heated seats are the same way. They turn on automatically if the temp is below 40 and are on high, but after driving for a while and the temp of the cabin rises, the heated seats drop down to low by themselves.

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was actually commenting about this to my son the other day. I figured this was just a great feature that worked with the auto climate control. It's nice and warm when you first start your truck and it's cold in the cabin, but once the cabin warms up, the steering wheel cools down, because it's not really needed anymore. I actually like that it does that, because a hot steering wheel in a warm cabin would make my hands sweat while driving. It's my opinion that this is a feature and there's nothing wrong.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the heated seats are the same way. They turn on automatically if the temp is below 40 and are on high, but after driving for a while and the temp of the cabin rises, the heated seats drop down to low by themselves.
Thanks, your post pretty much put this into perspective for me, guess I was looking for this option to be something it's not, it works until the cab warms up.

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does not heat in the area around the seam that is all around the center of the leather wheel cover. The cold area extends out toward the driver about a 1/2 inch.
My '16 Charger with the heated wheel gets hot all over and is actually a lot warmer than the Ram.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Per the manual;

Excellent.. I never knew there was a manual.. Lol.

*EDIT* - I do know there is a manual and I've never read or looked into one for a vehicle, I just use stuff as I need it, and hope it works out. I'm a simple person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45