Steering wheel/horn cover removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi folks,
I am about to remove my complete dash on the weekend to get it upholstered with leather-completely:). I wanna match the color of the horn cover/lid (i don't really know how that part is called. I hope you know what i am talking about-the thing u r hitting when u r annoyed by someone else on the road;-))

The question is: can that thing be popped off without blowing up the airbag or what needs to be done?

Any help/advice is highly appreciated:)!

Last edited:

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Disconnect negative battery. Focus on clip in the "10"clock & "2" clock position behind wheel. Remove all plastic shrouds surrounding wheel. Next turn wheel to right look behind with flashlight. U will see a hole & metal clip. With long flathead screwdriver stick in & pry up. I believe retainer is on airbag & clip is in wheel housing. Once u get those 2 clips everything else is self explanatory.

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok. It seems that the airbag is attached to the cover. I only need the cover/the plastic cap. Can this be removed alone? Actually don't wanna uninstall the complete airbag:-/

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the steering wheel on '11 ram when i had it. I don't think the cover cam come off the airbag from what I can remember. Also bskl76's instructions are pretty good. To add, use a mirror to see the clips you need to release. After popping the cover off do not pull back very far. You need the vehicle running so you can turn the wheel to the different positions to release the clips. Anyway, after releasing them, and not pulling back, now go disconnect the battery. I usually turn the key and leave it there for a couple of minutes to make sure the capacitor to fire the airbag is daring before disconnecting.