Steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2014 express and I have Rebel wheel on the way. Is there anything I need to know before swapping the wheel? I know the heated and cooling features won't work but I am assuming the volume controls will be plug and play. Any info on this would be great.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Pretty direct swap,everything should plug right in; you'll just have the extra connector thats used for the heat that wont plug in.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pretty direct swap,everything should plug right in; you'll just have the extra connector thats used for the heat that wont plug in.
Thanks. I just can't wait to get the wheel and my upgraded cluster installed.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Yes, should be pretty straightforward. I used the camera on my phone to see the clips on the airbag. A flat screwdriver will pop them off and then it’s just pulling the wheel essentially. Good luck!

zatiny8sv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
How did you guys route the blue heated wheel wire? Mine is currently sitting on the top of the wheel, of of course if I connected it as is, I won't be able to turn the wheel.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you guys route the blue heated wheel wire? Mine is currently sitting on the top of the wheel, of of course if I connected it as is, I won't be able to turn the wheel.
You would need a heated wheel clockspring in order to connect the blue connector. All of the columns are pre wired for the heated wheel so you will have the connector there sitting in a dummy slot to keep it out of the way. If you are installing a wheel that happens to be a heated wheel and you (aren't) doing the full conversion for heated seats and wheel then just leave the blue connector in the little slot it fits in and install you wheel just like your old wheel and leave the extra connector in the wheel itself for the heated option empty. If you are doing the full conversion for heated seats and wheel you will need to purchase the correct clockspring. It will have a place for the blue connector to plug in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

zatiny8sv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I’ve already swapped in heated/cooled seats and they’re working great.

When I plug the blue connector directly into the white connector in the wheel, it works great — only problem is the wire gets in the way when I turn the wheel.

So even though I’ve done the heated seat swap, I need the new clock spring for the purposes of routing the wire, eh? No way to get some sort of harness to work with my existing clockspring?

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
i got a heated wheel from the junk yard well whole column and got wheel removed.if i use the clock spring from old column but the air bag plugs are toast (melted) from air bag going off.also dont i need something else to make the heat for wheel o ya the switch lol

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve already swapped in heated/cooled seats and they’re working great.

When I plug the blue connector directly into the white connector in the wheel, it works great — only problem is the wire gets in the way when I turn the wheel.

So even though I’ve done the heated seat swap, I need the new clock spring for the purposes of routing the wire, eh? No way to get some sort of harness to work with my existing clockspring?
No, you need the clockspring in order for it to work correctly.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got a heated wheel from the junk yard well whole column and got wheel removed.if i use the clock spring from old column but the air bag plugs are toast (melted) from air bag going off.also dont i need something else to make the heat for wheel o ya the switch lol
If you have already installed the heated seats and wiring (if your truck doesn't have it) plus enabled the codes then yes you could install the clockspring and wheel and it should work. The heated steering wheel is controlled through the heated seat module. If you don't have heated seats it won't work.

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have already installed the heated seats and wiring (if your truck doesn't have it) plus enabled the codes then yes you could install the clockspring and wheel and it should work. The heated steering wheel is controlled through the heated seat module. If you don't have heated seats it won't work.

so i need heated seats to make a heated wheel work ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so i need heated seats to make a heated wheel work ?
Yes. You need heated seats, the correct wiring if you don't have it plus you need to enable the correct codes in the BCM. If your truck is a Bighorn or higher trim level or a Regular Cab it should have the correct wiring. If your truck is an SLT, Express or Tradesman you would need to add it.