Sticky lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rectoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning. I have a 1996 5.9 15004X4 with HD everything with 356,000 miles that I abuse as a work vehicle in my mobile marine mechanic business. There is a large difference between outboards and vehicles which is why I'm here. The engine has had only two thermostats replaced, qualifying my statement that it has never been apart. I change the oil & filter every 3000 miles. In-and around town gas mileage has been 15.2-16.1, highway loaded (55MPH) is 19.0 and highway unloaded (65mph) 22+mpg. All records kept for IRS!! Cold oil pressure is 70#, highway hot 55#, idle w/AC on, 105F outside, 38#. There are no knocks, no bangs. Recently I have started hearing a "thuck-thuck-thuck" noise coming from around the area of #6 & #8 rockers. It never happens when the engine is cold, never starts until there's an extended idle or most often when oil is warm, won't go away if I accelerate, but might if I shut down and restart. Or not. I might not hear it after an oil change, or might. There is no consistency to WHEN I'll hear it, just that I WILL, every day. I can hear it better in the cab than out. It is not an exhaust leak. The location is not exposed.The noise is NOT a knock, but more the sound of a plastic-head Snap On hammer tapping hard on a vice. It sounds about half-engine speed, leading me to think a lifter is beginning to collapse erratically, but there is no change in engine operation when it sounds off. As you can see by the above, I treat my transportation to steak while I eat burgers. It runs nicely, consistently (the kiss of death). Because there are no leaks, no internal problems(yet) the tech where I've taken my trucks the last 2 million miles hesitates to do anything other than say"Yup, there's a noise. Turn the radio up." At 73 I don't walk as much as I used to and would like to get this noise out of the engine or my head before I HAVE to walk. If I were to use Marvel Mystery Oil, Rislone, or Seafoam in the oil as directed, with the thought that there's a piece of trash stuck in a lifter, what % correct is my thinking? What % chance of success would you offer? Do you think I have a little man running through my head and there's something else to consider? Remember, it's 2 more cold months before boaters get off their wallets. Sorry about the length, just wanted to get as much as I could before you. Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
R

rectoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I empty the truck, as when I go to Thousand Islands to get a boat. I have not modified anything on the engine--no duals, K&N,, etc. I use Seafoam in the fuel once a month, change oil & filter 3000 miles, accelerate easily to highway speed and engage cruise, stay in the right lane, let people pass me. A short highway run--<50 miles will yield about 18MPG. A good long run, >150miles, is where the high economy comes from. Years ago, when hightest leaded gas got over $.75/gal (1965-66?) I paid attention to the details that got me mileage and used the savings on my dates! Prior to this truck I had a '76 and an '86 Ford 150 4X4. I could have put them on a rollback with the engines out of them and never gotten more than 16MPG. I have been extremely fortunate with this Dodge. It doesn't owe me--I owe it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're feeling brave, my suggestion would be to run a flushing oil change in it.
When it's time for a change, put in 4 qt of cheap oil and a cheap filter, and 1 qt of ATF. Run that for about 500mi or so, then change it again with your normal stuff you use.
In theory, it'll break up any junk that might have accumulated in the engine and send it to the filter, BUT, being as you've taken care of this truck as well as you have, I would definitely question if it would even work. I would be suspecting that said lifters are just plain tired after nearly 400k mi.

OP
OP
R

rectoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I was hoping that I'd hear they were either collapsed or not, not maybe. I was also hoping to win PCH's "$5000 a week for life," the Lotto, and be named Hugh Hefner's successor. Sigh....

life ring.png

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I would certainly suspect the seals in the lifters are getting tired, or the valve cover gasket is starting to break down. Was the CCV hose on the front or back of that years valve cover?

I'd start with easy things first. Just like Dodge Dude said, try cleaning it out with oil first (I hope you're using at least a synthetic blend high mileage in something this old and long lived). Just some house brand Walmart oil is fine, mixed with a quart of cheap ATF and run it for what sounds like one trip to you. Man you drive a lot. A couple hundred highway miles should be the minimum to run it. Then drain her out and go back to your normal oil and interval.

If that doesn't fix it, i'd replace the valve cover gasket, you can get a set for $20 for the really nice ones, and see if that quiets it down. Might also listen to the CCV hose from that side of the engine and see if its coming from that.

If all of that still doesn't fix it, it might be time to replace those lifters. Its an easy job, two days max if you take a lot of breaks and have to fight with broken intake bolts.

OP
OP
R

rectoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so very much for the input! Scrape the snow off tomorrow and have at it! I'll keep you psted. Again, thanks.