Stock airbox ram air mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yes they do have those pieces, and they have open ends on some filters so you can connect the tube directly to it, and also have velocity tunnels for intake end. I had wanted to do this to my old Yukon for years but worried about rain.
Why do some ram air hood companies waste time with making ducting into their hoods to draw the water away from the intake if it's not a problem?
I've seen bikes with open filters too but all had covers for them and I assumed it was for rain protection.
Pretty cool though Eagle.
Just my 2 cents, I'll have to see about doing this as well I guess, but maybe also drawing from the hood.
Anybody know of a way to connect to the 360 throttle body to try a dual intake setup? Spectre actually has a dual plenum but I think it was too small to fit.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Yeah, Spectre makes all kinds of stuff. Clamps, tubing, filters, pcv valves. Love there stuff. And there reasonable prices.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
That's what I thought too Slow, but you could mount it to the lower grill inserts in the bumper, yes Blown they aren't too expensive and also being available not having to order them, most of the places will let you take a piece out to check fit before you buy.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You say Spectre? Yeah I love my Spectre intake.

20140817_152930.jpg
Blown GP Q is that an elite engineering oil catch can I see in your picture ? If so how long have you had it and do you like it ?

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@BlownGP

where did you get that orange intake tube? I have searched and cant seem to find it... im thinking that I may have to order any color I can find and then get a color match spraybomb to paint the tube.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@BlownGP

where did you get that orange intake tube? I have searched and cant seem to find it... im thinking that I may have to order any color I can find and then get a color match spraybomb to paint the tube.

I asked him the same thing. He had to paint it to get the color. Probably what I'll do when it's time. :)

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Must be some other mod, as the intake location in this thread is behind the grille,,,

Didn't realize this one is behind the grill. The mounting I'm referring to is down behind the bumper. Usually where the tow hooks mount, or the center grill portion on the bumper. That's more than likely where I'll put mine.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good mod bro, just reinstalled my factory setup along with a K&N filter, had a vararam installed and 87 mm throttle body, also reinstalled my factory throttle body. I'm trying to figure out why my truck is running slower since my hemifever 93 octane hr tune. My truck has never ran this slow 15.48 at 93 mph, I sold my bullydog hemi plus to purchase the trinity 1000 and hemifever custom tune. I was running 13.5 at 98 mph with my bullydog running the 93 octane tune. People are asking are the numbers from the track or using the trinity, what does it matter, the trinity comes with the drag strip setup installed, it measures your 1/4 mile times via distance. If it isn't accurate why even bother offering it with the programmer? My 2012 R/T ran 14.4 at 95 mph driven off the show room floor, stock. With the bullydog, vararam, 180 stat, 87mm throttle body, sonnaxx line preasure booster, sprint throttle control, 4:10 gears, bbk shorties ,and at the time I had a si/do borla exhaust I was averaging 13.5 at 98 mph. I purchased the trinity 1000 and tried the canned tunes but never could get the truck to run right, so I purchased the hemifever tune, the only changes I made was to the exhaust and some weight reduction, magnaflow 2.5 inch true dual muffler with built in x-pipe, dropped the factory spare saving around 90 pounds, went with 3 cans of fixa flat and a plug set, dropped the tow hitch and bumper for a roll pan, another 50-60 pounds reduction. There is know way I should be running 15.48 at 93 mph, they say if you have your vehicle dyno tested use the same one every time, well I'm using the same programmer so even if the numbers may be different at the track, the programmer should also adjust to the increases in hp/tq after installed aftermarket products and having a custom tune installed. Sorry for venting, but I hate spending my hard earned money on something and not at least improving what I had, so I'm removing some of the bolt on parts to see if there will be any changes and if my time will get better or worse, will keep you all informed.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Good mod bro, just reinstalled my factory setup along with a K&N filter, had a vararam installed and 87 mm throttle body, also reinstalled my factory throttle body. I'm trying to figure out why my truck is running slower since my hemifever 93 octane hr tune. My truck has never ran this slow 15.48 at 93 mph, I sold my bullydog hemi plus to purchase the trinity 1000 and hemifever custom tune. I was running 13.5 at 98 mph with my bullydog running the 93 octane tune. People are asking are the numbers from the track or using the trinity, what does it matter, the trinity comes with the drag strip setup installed, it measures your 1/4 mile times via distance. If it isn't accurate why even bother offering it with the programmer? My 2012 R/T ran 14.4 at 95 mph driven off the show room floor, stock. With the bullydog, vararam, 180 stat, 87mm throttle body, sonnaxx line preasure booster, sprint throttle control, 4:10 gears, bbk shorties ,and at the time I had a si/do borla exhaust I was averaging 13.5 at 98 mph. I purchased the trinity 1000 and tried the canned tunes but never could get the truck to run right, so I purchased the hemifever tune, the only changes I made was to the exhaust and some weight reduction, magnaflow 2.5 inch true dual muffler with built in x-pipe, dropped the factory spare saving around 90 pounds, went with 3 cans of fixa flat and a plug set, dropped the tow hitch and bumper for a roll pan, another 50-60 pounds reduction. There is know way I should be running 15.48 at 93 mph, they say if you have your vehicle dyno tested use the same one every time, well I'm using the same programmer so even if the numbers may be different at the track, the programmer should also adjust to the increases in hp/tq after installed aftermarket products and having a custom tune installed. Sorry for venting, but I hate spending my hard earned money on something and not at least improving what I had, so I'm removing some of the bolt on parts to see if there will be any changes and if my time will get better or worse, will keep you all informed.

You need to get the truck on the track. The tuner 1/4 mile readings are very inaccurate...especially if you are trying to compare a time form your Bullydog tuner to the times on your Trinity tuner. Its also the heat of summer right now, so every truck is running about .5 slower I the 1/4 mile right now than they were in January.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand the difference between the times at the track and from the programmer, but I have friends in my city that I have always dominated give me a run for my money now. As for heat, it's always hot in Louisiana lol. Last night I did 2 runs after work, the temperature was 3 degrees higher than when I ran the 15.88 1/4 mile (85 degrees), same highway, same side of the road. My first run was a 14.88 at 95 mph, second run was a 14.62 at 97.6 mph so even with the use of the programmer there were changes. I have always gave you a call when I had questions, I respect your knowledge, that's why I purchase my aftermarket parts from you, but something is not right, I know my truck, with all the performance parts I have installed there is know way stock express regular cabs and quads should be keeping up or out running me, if that's the case I should have saved all my money. I put my truck on a scale and it ways 4987 pounds with the 22''wheels, come on help me out man?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I understand the difference between the times at the track and from the programmer, but I have friends in my city that I have always dominated give me a run for my money now. As for heat, it's always hot in Louisiana lol. Last night I did 2 runs after work, the temperature was 3 degrees higher than when I ran the 15.88 1/4 mile (85 degrees), same highway, same side of the road. My first run was a 14.88 at 95 mph, second run was a 14.62 at 97.6 mph so even with the use of the programmer there were changes. I have always gave you a call when I had questions, I respect your knowledge, that's why I purchase my aftermarket parts from you, but something is not right, I know my truck, with all the performance parts I have installed there is know way stock express regular cabs and quads should be keeping up or out running me, if that's the case I should have saved all my money. I put my truck on a scale and it ways 4987 pounds with the 22''wheels, come on help me out man?
I don't ever look at track times listed by tuners because of how inaccurate they are and how easy they are to manipulate. So disregarding those times, I spoke to Sean about your logs, and with stock tuning your datalog showed a 0-60 time of 7.6 seconds. With his tuning the log you sent him in February showed a 0-60 time of 6.0 seconds. There is clearly a massive gain there over stock.

What I would do is send Sean another Datalog so that he can make sure the tune is still properly loaded in the tuner. He has some new updates now as well, so I'm sure he will want to send you an updated tune anyways.

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7

I wouldnt believe times from a programmer but the trap speed should be a little more honest.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on doing a similar mod but will cut a hole in the bottom of my box and run the tube to the center of the lower valance. That way I will have 2 sources for air. The 2012 trucks won't allow you the entrance from by the a/c condenser so I have to run the tube under everything, wish me luck, I will post the results with pics when I'm done.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes post pics.

I almost did something like this before I got my s&b.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to revive an old thread.... does anybody have pictures of where and how they relocated the overfill bottle?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm thinking about doing this too. Did you have an original write up you used?

I know there is one out the web, but I like this forum and it's easier to find things. ;)

Look in the DIY section on here & you will find 2 or 3 write ups on this. I did it on my 2500 with the 6.4 & it was really tight getting that hose to fit through all of the obstacles. Again you are not going to see any big gains by doing this but I believe it helps some. And for no more money & time that it costs you really can't go wrong. Mine was added to the bottom of the box so it is still pulling air from the stock inlet as well. No problems what so ever with bugs or weather & I have had it on for almost 2 years now.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to revive an old thread.... does anybody have pictures of where and how they relocated the overfill bottle?

I didn't have to but maybe the 17 is different? I just went straight down out of the box, over the frame, and attached to the bumper. I was going to cut a hole in the bumper to get more of a ram air effect then decided it would probably make no difference and I'd have a hole in my bumper. So left it just attached down there

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't have to but maybe the 17 is different? I just went straight down out of the box, over the frame, and attached to the bumper. I was going to cut a hole in the bumper to get more of a ram air effect then decided it would probably make no difference and I'd have a hole in my bumper. So left it just attached down there

I'm thinking of going this route as well for now. In one of the posts, a member put a "scoop" so to speak behind the grill, right where the overflow coolant bottle is located. I like that idea, but I'm not sure where I'd move the bottle to. Of course, I haven't spent much time looking under the hood either. When I was looking the other day, it was cold and windy and I didn't want to spend much time outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk