Stock Goodyear Wrangler sr-a snow traction question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
275/60 20 the stock 20 inch Goodyear tires I hear are not that great in snow does anyone have an opinion on this?

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
My experience so far-->5in or less of snow! My Stockers in 4 Auto did fine... All highway and interstate! NO OFF Road... I had No issues... I do have {4} 65 lb sand bags in the back next to the tailgate... They seem to hold their own on ice...{No Issues} But I drive with a 4lb bag of common sense!

As for driving in the heavy rain or water logged interstate or highways? No issues! Just driving with any sense at all will allow these stock goodyears to do their job fairly well...

I am looking at switching to a complete set of more aggressive All Season Tires after these stockers are done... Maybe a bit wider foot print is in the works...

Last edited:
OP
OP
bri6679

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My experience so far-->5in or less of snow! My Stockers in 4 Auto did fine... All highway and interstate! NO OFF Road... I had No issues... I do have {4} 65 lb sand bags in the back next to the tailgate...

I am looking at switching to a complete set of All Terrains after these stockers are done...
Ok cool ...I've always had a BF Goodrich all terrains on my jeeps and avalanche and liked them but that was on 15 inch and 17 inch rims never on 20 inch

Reactions: SyN

DrewTZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed that they serve the purpose. Not much snow so far in Minnesota, but haven't had an issues to this point. Do have 240 lbs in sand tubes in the back, I believe that helps.

Still can't wait to get new ones!

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can't speak for the 20" size, but I had stock SRA's (17") on my 2011. This past winter they had tread left, but I find GoodYear tires harden up more every passing year making them slicker even on wet roads, nevermind snow. Nearly any tire with a reasonable tread depth and perhaps some siping ability will prove worthy if driven appropriately for the weather conditions. I put on Michelin MS2 tires last fall and it is a HUGE difference in winter traction, even more so as this Ram doesn't have the rear LSD.

Keep in mind, if you were to replace the OEM tires with the same tires, the tires may either feel better, or worse, as manufacturers often make deals with say, GoodYear, to provide a tire with a variation in tread compound(s) or chemical composition to make it perform better, or worse, than if you purchased the same tire at another tire dealer. Again, the differences are minimal, but more often than not, OEM's can even 'order' tires with lower tread depth/wear as well. It's all in their marketing plan to keep you going back to the dealer.

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
I hope they are good...I have a Wrangler I am trading in for a 16 Ram Sport...pretty much loaded...my Wrangler I have 33 Duratracs and they are super in snow and rain...I hope this Ram can perform just as good in the snow, but I have my doubts...can anyone chime in on the Wrangler VS Ram? Thx

OP
OP
bri6679

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well there's a big snow storm supposedly coming in my area this weekend I'm going to try it out hopefully I'm not disappointed

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I replaced the stock tires after hydroplaning at 70mph in a light rain. I am not a huge Goodyear fan anyways. I did not want to even give them a chance to see any snow.

I bought Toyo Open Country AT2 tires. They have been amazing and I have no regrets taking brand new tires off the truck for more new tires.

hsousa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope they are good...I have a Wrangler I am trading in for a 16 Ram Sport...pretty much loaded...my Wrangler I have 33 Duratracs and they are super in snow and rain...I hope this Ram can perform just as good in the snow, but I have my doubts...can anyone chime in on the Wrangler VS Ram? Thx
My ram does great with Duratracs.

The stock rubber is pretty bad in rain, didn't let them see snow.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

With the same tires on them it would be similar. A wrangler with duratracs vs a stock Goodyear on a ram, the wrangler wins. You'll be fine with the stock sra's but they aren't anywhere near the duratracs. Also half the price of duratracs.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The SRA tires are worthless in rain or snow. I replaced mine at 11k miles with BFG KO2s, no regrets. In my opinion, the factory Goodyear tires are fine for dry pavement, nothing else.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran my SR-As through 2 winters and they did fairly well in snow. I was somewhat impressed with how they went through 6" of snow on unplowed roads. Rain was a whole different story.

If the road was wet the truck just didn't feel planted and if there was any standing water at all they hydroplaned like crazy. As my truck hit 15000, they were more than half worn which is completely pathetic, and they started hydroplaning more and more.

Finally bought some Cooper AT3s and am very happy with them. HUGE difference in the rain. Can't wait for it to actually snow here so I can try them out in the snow

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine have 23,000 on them now. Rain has always been an issue or slighty damp surfaces. In 2wd I can kick the rear end out.

zeus2120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 or V8
I replaced the stock tires after hydroplaning at 70mph in a light rain. I am not a huge Goodyear fan anyways. I did not want to even give them a chance to see any snow.

I bought Toyo Open Country AT2 tires. They have been amazing and I have no regrets taking brand new tires off the truck for more new tires.

How have your MPGs been since the tire swap?

As for my experience with the stock Goodyears -- I have brand new SR-As that the dealer put on before I bought my truck. So far in the snow they are ok--but on wet roads I hate them. I spin the tires on light throttle and can't stand it, but I'm not sure how to justify $800 in new tires when they're brand new.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have posted before but I am not sure why some owners are having such big issues in the wet with the OEM tires. We went from OKC to Little Rock in a torrential downpour (after years of drought the Okla/Texas area got hit with tons of rain in May 2015) with hundreds of cars on the side of the Interstate. I followed a semi for at least an hour and had exactly zero issues. Once he turned off I was on my own and you guessed it, no issues. Oh and I never did engage the 4x4 feature.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be some are coming from driving cars. Not long, light in the rear pickups with a motor and gearing to move it's self and tow.
I do dislike SR-A's for me but disagree that they crap. My needs-( usage of pickup) make them a poor choice for me. Heck many of those with big off road tire's are really a poor choice for their use to. But look "cool"to the owners.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have posted before but I am not sure why some owners are having such big issues in the wet with the OEM tires. We went from OKC to Little Rock in a torrential downpour (after years of drought the Okla/Texas area got hit with tons of rain in May 2015) with hundreds of cars on the side of the Interstate. I followed a semi for at least an hour and had exactly zero issues. Once he turned off I was on my own and you guessed it, no issues. Oh and I never did engage the 4x4 feature.

Agree.........but maybe I use a 10 lb bag of common sense when driving in bad weather.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_0167_zps79a426d4.jpg They were o.k. when new.I replaced them with a bigger A/T tire @10k miles.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Tire threads are almost like oil and battery threads, half are gonna say a particular brand/model is crap and the other half are gonna say it is fine.

True till it hurts. A lot of variables that apply. I bought my 14 Sport QC Hemi with 13K miles on it in early December with the std tires. Shortly afterwards we had several heavy rains. No LSD so one rear tire spun on acceleration in the rain. Put it in 4WD Auto and like a new truck. No issues. We have now graduated to complete winter with snow, slippery roads and even ice at times. In 4WD Auto it performs quite well and is stable to drive. In one-wheel drive no so much but eventhough I know there are better tires out there, I'm satisfied with the OEM Goodyears. I'll buy a better tire when I need to but that's way down the road.

If you just don't like the OEM's talk to the Ram dealer and also the local Goodyear dealer about trading them right off the new truck.

Any other way will get pricey quick.