Suggestions sought for police dome light install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
I have a 2016 Outdoorsman crew cab. I often find myself sitting in the truck at night reading a book or magazine while waiting for the kids at various activities. The stock interior lights are poor and I have not upgraded to LEDs yet. For reading, it's better if the light source comes from behind the front seats, so making the map lights brighter won't help that. The map lights also turn off after a short time with the engine off. What would be perfect is to install a police style LED dome light like this https://www.galls.com/soundoff-gene...dzKMFXbsJhIbh6CC-XQHTgXAY-ToBzgcaAoRdEALw_wcB .

I searched and can't find any similar project or interior photos of a police spec Ram with the light installed. I watched a youtube video from a member about removing the headliner. It looks like there is a rectangular foam pad directly on top of the headliner where I would want to install the light; just behind the front seat headrests. I'm not sure if that pad touches the roof bracing or is there for another reason. I was hoping to cut a hole in the headliner without removing it, then fish the wiring to the driver a-pillar. I would be looking for constant power so it could be on with the keys out. These dome lights are so bright, there is no chance of forgetting it's on at night.

Another cool feature is the red light, so the kids in the back could find a dropped object on the highway without blinding me. I am leery of cutting a six inch hole in the headliner when a replacement headliner is $700. I figure if I can do it right, it will not look too bad and I plan to keep the truck another nine years or so. Any suggestions on an install regarding mounting and power connection are welcome.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can't help much with the install but thats the exact light I have in my squad car (2016 Ford SUV). Works very well.

I don't believe its going to be a full 6" hole in the headliner. I say order it..and once you see what it looks like out of the box it would give you an idea how you need to mount it.

Mine was installed when I got my squad so I can't tell you much on how it looks under the light.

The switch is right on the light (as you see) so there is no need to have a separate switch. Just find a always hot fuse and put a jumper on it. Just an idea.

Good luck..post up a few pictures once you get it installed.

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
I also have first hand experience with the light, but in a 2017 Tahoe. That's how I know it would be perfect in my Ram. I found this video of the light mounting in a Charger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhtigCvac0 . The hole definitely isn't round there, but I'm not sure if the universal fit light has different mounting from the Charger specific light. I'm just afraid that the roof bracing above the headliner will interfere. The switch needs to be easily reached from the front seats. There is a much more expensive ($130) light made by Whelen with similar features. It requires a 7/8" hole ine the middle for the wires and four small screws around the perimeter for attachment. I'm not sure if the headliner material would support course thread screws to hold the light up. I'm sure the assembly isn't very heavy since it's just plastic and LEDs.

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
The township I live in recently got a Ram 1500 crew cab police truck. I went and checked it out on my way to Thanksgiving dinner. The dome light is further forward than I want above the center console. That said, there seems like an inch of upward play in my headliner where I want to put it on the hump, so it might work. I'd like to run a separate fused power wire to an always hot source. I can't tie into existing dome light power since they are not always hot.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Buy a kindle with the the back light,