Suicide Shimmy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have an 06 Dodge 2500 5.9L cummins and i've seen it before where these rams will go through a so called "suicide shimmy" where if you go over a rough patch on a bridge or something it'll vibrate and shimmy really bad. it's done this to me 4 times and i've had it looked at twice so far. the last time it was worked on was just 2 days ago and now we're calling them back to see. but if anyone has had this problem please tell me how it works and how to fix it. the last time it happened I was headed to town going 70 and i went over a bridge that I go over dozens of times a week and it's pretty rough. the second bump it starts to shimmy and i slowed down until it stopped. I then turned around and headed home. it's pretty scary and I need some advice or something. thank you.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Did the shop say that all your steering components were in good shape? If it were me.... I would start by changing the control arm bushing with poly bushings. I would also upgrade to a better steering stabilizer, and a heavy duty track bar system.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Usually it's called the death wobble. But I'll have to do a little research to help ya out.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Basically any front end component can cause it
It can be very scary, the best thing to do is to slow down but do not lock up your brakes

Some people are lucky enough to replace a single component to get rid of it and some guys spends thousands trying to track it down

Check tie rods, ball joints, steering stabilizer,track bar/sway bar/control arm bushings, etc for play
What kind of tires are you running? A lot of guys have had problems from the soft sidewall and side lugs of the BFG all terrains

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Check for recals on your truck. If you have the old Y style steering you NEED to up grade to the 08.5+ T style steering.

Running and lift/leveling kit? If so I recommended getting an adjustable Trac bar.

Bd steering box brace...$125 insurance. It's a brace that mounts to your frame and will solid up your power steering box

Dual steering stabilizers...another cheap insurance.

Make sure your alignment is ok

I've done all of this to my truck when I bought it and I've never had the death wobble. Even lifted on MT tires

Good luck bud

OP
OP
A

ASchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
Cummins 5.9
There's not much modified on the front end and the only thing it has is a ready lift leveling kit. I've had the bushings, steering stabilizer, ball joint ends, tyrod ends, and that hasn't fixed it. I think a trac stabilizer might do it but god only knows. I've heard of some people replacing bearings or changing them to a different spec. The wheels, tires and balance is all just fine.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Sounds like your trac bar then...that's been the most "commin" fix on SFA vehicles that have the death wobble.

With your leveling kit, throws your front axel off center...messing up all the angles of the front suspension.

OP
OP
A

ASchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well I bought this pickup at 40k miles with the leveling kit already on it and it first did this at 75k or so so I don't think it's the leveling kit. I'll call and ask about the trac bar though

OP
OP
A

ASchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I think this might be the problem... I'm on my phone so bear with me if there's a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 80

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That looks to be your sway bar and could be the cause
The easiest way to test is to disconnect the sway and go for a drive (be careful as the axle will be able to wonder a bit more then usual but will tell you if thats doing it)

My girlfriends sway bar looks the same as that without problems but they are also newer and like mentioned the littlest things can cause this

OP
OP
A

ASchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I go to pick my truck up tomorrow. hopefully they fixed it right this time. 3rd time's the charm?

EastNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any word on your truck? Mine is starting to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's an old thread, but thought I'd add my own experience to it...

Years back, I bought an F250 HD used and negotiated tires into the price. After experiencing several "death shimmies" pulling a loaded trailer, I pulled into an auto store parking lot, purchased and installed a steering stabilizer in the parking lot....in the rain.

Long story short, I lost a tire shortly after and the tire shop asked me why I was running light duty tires on such a heavy truck. Yep, the dealer had put the wrong load rating on. By that time, they were half worn, so I got to buy new shoes, and never again experienced the wobble.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
There's not much modified on the front end and the only thing it has is a ready lift leveling kit. I've had the bushings, steering stabilizer, ball joint ends, tyrod ends, and that hasn't fixed it. I think a trac stabilizer might do it but god only knows. I've heard of some people replacing bearings or changing them to a different spec. The wheels, tires and balance is all just fine.

If its a 4x4 check the u joints at each front wheel. After thousands and many different shops that is what mine ended up being.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
Track Bar bushings at 122,000. Steers great again, no more "wobble"

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '03 dually did the death wobble after I put my 6" lift on. I had a brain fart and left the 2" coil spacers on the front and put the new springs in. Above 30-40 mph and hit a bump and it'd get stupid. Drove it like that for one day because I had to go to work, pulled the spacers out the next day and never had an issue again.