Sunroof Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I noticed that my sunroof wasn't closing flush with the roof and was letting a little water in during rains so I decided to do a little research. What I found was directions on how to recalibrate a jeep sunroof which were the same as the calibration instructions for a SRT and since I could not find the directions on how to calibrate the sunroof in my 2010 Dodge Ram I figured what the hell, it has to be better than letting my headliner get water stains. The instructions say to push the "vent" button and once the sunroof opens to full tilt, release and then hold the "vent" button for 5 seconds. I did this and after five seconds I noticed that the motor clicked into place as if it were calibrating. Problem solved, right? No way! After I did this, when I pushed the button to close the sunroof it would go almost all the way closed and then act as if there was something preventing it from closing completely and it would open back up to about the half way mark. A little more research leads me to believe that it is stuck in the "pinch detection mode". The only way to get the sunroof closed completely now is to press and hold the close button for about 10 seconds and then it will close completely. My question is, is there any way to reset the sunroof or take it out of the pinch detection mode? By the way, after calibration steps were followed by pressing and holding the vent button, the sunroof now sits flush or in fact even a little higher than flush with the roof. Please Help. It's spring and I needs mah sunroof!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm not near a computer to access service information but some water drips getting past the sunroof gasket is normal, that's why there are sunroof drain tubes.

OP
OP
Ramsfan78

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You could look when the sunroof is closed and see it is not sitting flush and as for the water getting in, it has stained my headliner. Drain tubes are clear btw.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your sunroof gasket could be worn causing more than normal water to be getting it. As for it not sitting flush when close there are 4 adjustment screws, 2 on each side. Those are used to adjust the glass if it's not flush. The screws are behind the accordion looking plastic covers.

The recalibration should only really be done if there's issues with it opening/closing.

OP
OP
Ramsfan78

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Since the calibration, it closes flush but now sometimes kicks back open half way when it hits the wind deflector. Doesn't do it all the time. Just sometimes

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just looked at the service information for your truck and the calibration procedure is slightly different compared to how you performed it. Wouldn't hurt to try it again.

This is from the service information.

1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
2. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass panel has moved to the full vent position and the motor movement has stopped for at least 1 second.
3. Press the close switch on the power sunroof switch and hold for a moment (at least 100ms) and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full close position.
4. Verify proper system operation.

Trav_1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your sunroof gasket could be worn causing more than normal water to be getting it. As for it not sitting flush when close there are 4 adjustment screws, 2 on each side. Those are used to adjust the glass if it's not flush. The screws are behind the accordion looking plastic covers.

The recalibration should only really be done if there's issues with it opening/closing.
Hi there, my sunroof glass doesn't quite sit flush at the back with the roof. It's sunk down just a bit on the one side in the back. I'm guessing it needs to be adjusted with these screws you are talking about. My question is how does one access these screws to adjust the glass. Please help.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hi there, my sunroof glass doesn't quite sit flush at the back with the roof. It's sunk down just a bit on the one side in the back. I'm guessing it needs to be adjusted with these screws you are talking about. My question is how does one access these screws to adjust the glass. Please help.

There are 2 screws per side, they are under plastic accordion looking covers. One on the driver side and one on the passenger side of the sunroof. If you sit in one of the front seats and look up at the glass, they cover part of the hinge mechanism on rather side. They just pop off if you pull on them.

Zimman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram and the back edge of the sun roof sits lower than the body, do I need to recalibrate it and would the process be similar to the 2010?

06Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram and the back edge of the sun roof sits lower than the body, do I need to recalibrate it and would the process be similar to the 2010?

I had the same issue with the back of the sunroof not seating all the way, allowing all the water to flow inside at both my grab handles near the doors. I performed the following recommendation to no avail. It would still stop lower than the body.
1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
2. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass panel has moved to the full vent position and the motor movement has stopped for at least 1 second.
3. Press the close switch on the power sunroof switch and hold for a moment (at least 100ms) and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full close position.
4. Verify proper system operation.

I tried the first recommendation to hold the vent button down, except I held mine down for about 15 seconds and I heard the motor move after it was already in the open position. I closed the sunroof and it is now in the correct closed position with the back of the sunroof flush with the body. I cycled it a few more times using both the vent and fully retracted and it will close correctly now.

rammoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. Maybe it'll stop that opening up half way thing again b

I'm having the same damn issue with it kicking back when you try to close. Did this fix the issue? If not what finaly fixed it?

Stbear007007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine
Since the calibration, it closes flush but now sometimes kicks back open half way when it hits the wind deflector. Doesn't do it all the time. Just sometimes
My 2015 rams being doing the same thing for 7 years now but getting to the point I'm afraid it's not going to close for me 9neday whike I'm out or at work. I have to push close 4 or 5 times than it usually closes. It's like an edl or obstacle detect fault. Ya dealership couldn't figure it for 5 years under warranty and gave up...now that there's no more warranty lol