Superchips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhnxRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So I have been thinking about getting the superchips flashpaq for a while now but did not know if it was worth it or not. Then reading up on the forums of their site they said that with the 5.9 liter dodge that it is the vehicle that they have seen the most gains out of than any other vehicle. Some people reporting that they gained up to 50 more horsepower. So I went out and bought one and am just running it on the fuel saver right now because i have 87 in my tank right now and I need to have 91 in order to up the performance of it. I was just wondering if anyone else has this and knows what the best way to program it is to where I can get the best performance out of it but at the same time the best gas mileage?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Honestly....you shouldv'e spent your money elsewhere. I hope you didn't buy it new because have spent lass money for more gain with a SCT.
I can't speak for the other folks that have superchips...but 50 hp is a lot from a piggy back tuner.

I do know at least 1 person that has run 87 octane with a 91 tune on a superchips.

BTW I'm NOT bashing you...but I would have checked out some other Dodge/ Ram forums (including this one) before buying. Every tuners' website promises extraordinary gains...most which can't be documented, or are done so in very controled environments. The variations of programming within the stock PCM itself may or may not give you what you expect from a tuner.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
SCT , FTW

The things Sean at Hemifever tuning can do to a 5.9 ... mmm mmm mmm

I was never impressed with mt SC on my other trucks .

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Cant beat a custom tune form hemifever but I liked my superchips on both my 5.9gas and 5.7. The 360ci is really detuned from the factory, more so than most any others. That is why they get such a gain just from the tuner. I ran the 91tune and love it. But like I said the SC is great but it cant beat a custom tune even more so when you add other mods to your truck(cam).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
SCT , FTW

The things Sean at Hemifever tuning can do to a 5.9 ... mmm mmm mmm

I was never impressed with mt SC on my other trucks .

X 2 on that. While the canned tunes may not be really effective, Sean can bring out the best on these.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Superchips makes a great tuner for the guys that dont want to spend alot of money on custom tuning, and as long as you dont plan on adding a bigger cam, there really isnt a need for more than the canned tunes that Superchips has to offer...especially if you take advantage of the trans tuning. Sean is great at what he does, but for a guy that just wants a little boost in performance on his lightly modded truck, a custom tune isnt really worth the money.

To the OP, you are not going to gain 50hp with a tuner on a gas truck. On the performance tune, you should see 18-23hp at the wheels and about the same gains in tq. The fuel mileage is going to be better on the performance tune as well. As far as loading the new tune, just run your current tank as low as possible, fill it up with 91 or 93, then reset your tune to the 91 octane tune, and give it hell.

**EDIT** I just realized this was the 2nd gen section. I am not real familiar with the 2nd gens, so I dont know if they react as well to Superchips as the hemi trucks. What I posted above was in reference to the 5.7 Hemi.

Last edited:

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have generally seen 18 hp with Superchips on the dyno. My only guess as to 50 hp gains is maybe from pulling off the tv cable and making a 3rd gear pull starting about 1500 rpms. There I can maybe see it, but it's where you won't see it in normal driving.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Superchips makes a great tuner for the guys that dont want to spend alot of money on custom tuning, and as long as you dont plan on adding a bigger cam, there really isnt a need for more than the canned tunes that Superchips has to offer...especially if you take advantage of the trans tuning. Sean is great at what he does, but for a guy that just wants a little boost in performance on his lightly modded truck, a custom tune isnt really worth the money.

To the OP, you are not going to gain 50hp with a tuner on a gas truck. On the performance tune, you should see 18-23hp at the wheels and about the same gains in tq. The fuel mileage is going to be better on the performance tune as well. As far as loading the new tune, just run your current tank as low as possible, fill it up with 91 or 93, then reset your tune to the 91 octane tune, and give it hell.

**EDIT** I just realized this was the 2nd gen section. I am not real familiar with the 2nd gens, so I dont know if they react as well to Superchips as the hemi trucks. What I posted above was in reference to the 5.7 Hemi.

The 5.9 is hobbled by torque management, death flashes and other low end torque losses. A SC does nothing for this because it piggy backs the stock tune and isn't designed to. It also doesn't chanage or can't reprogram the tranny.

Sean's tunings remove the death flashes and torque management that really makes the low end impressive. I can now spin my tires from a dead stop! Sean has also reset my OD so it comes in at a lower speed and hope this will help my mileage. The motor doesn't lug like it used to either. I have seen mileage increases of almost 2 mpg.

Last edited:

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i have used the hypertech max energy, jet chip stage 2, superchips 3815, and now sct. and the sct is the best. but i did like the superchips. it would be 2nd on my list. hypertech gave me a couple more mpgs. it would be 3rd. and i wouldnt waste your money on the jet chip. barely could tell a difference. i did all of these on the performance setting. never tried the lower settings. i am always looking for more power.lol