Sway Bar Disconnects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's quite a few threads on this throughout the internet, that all just kinda die out with no answer/solution.

Have one of you cracked the code yet?

If not to completely disconnect, at least an upgrade to allow more flex up front.. There's not much allowance as it is... But mostly all of the restriction is that front sway bar..
0bed10c94d3b2b443165459532465c5f.jpg

IMO

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i tried to find some, but other than custom you wont find any. Either take it off completely or just when you plan on offroading :superhack:

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the power wagon not have the electronic sway bar disconnect? Would it be feasible to pull the system from one of those truck and adapt it over?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i tried to find some, but other than custom you wont find any. Either take it off completely or just when you plan on offroading :superhack:
I dont mind custom, just need a good starting base I guess? Someone used the TJ kit and shortened it?

I just need to know where to start.
Does the power wagon not have the electronic sway bar disconnect? Would it be feasible to pull the system from one of those truck and adapt it over?

No thank you, would be around $3000.

IMO

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F that noise... I'll gladly take a wrench to them when need be.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually pulled my front sway bar off a while back. It rode a bit better and the lean wasn't too bad. I don't know of any disconnects though. Maybe look at other IFS trucks and see if they have close to the setup we have.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im going to..

Will get some good pictures and measurements today, then start on a solution.

IMO

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im going to..

Will get some good pictures and measurements today, then start on a solution.

IMO

Awesome. It will be cool to see how much more articulation it gives the front suspension. I pulled the rear sway bar on my Polaris ATV and it made a big difference in ride and articulation. You are leaving the rear bar on I assume?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually pulled my front sway bar off a while back. It rode a bit better and the lean wasn't too bad. I don't know of any disconnects though. Maybe look at other IFS trucks and see if they have close to the setup we have.

was the highway ride that different without the bar? How about on/off ramps? Id just take off the front one but im worried about getting some serious roll.

As for making a quick disconnect you could always get a custom bar fabbed up with a pin in the middle. That way they will move independently when the pin is out

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Awesome. It will be cool to see how much more articulation it gives the front suspension. I pulled the rear sway bar on my Polaris ATV and it made a big difference in ride and articulation. You are leaving the rear bar on I assume?
I will leave the rear on.. Hell, even with it connected, Im hitting the bump stops and scrubbing the fender wells.

IMO

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
was the highway ride that different without the bar? How about on/off ramps? Id just take off the front one but im worried about getting some serious roll.

As for making a quick disconnect you could always get a custom bar fabbed up with a pin in the middle. That way they will move independently when the pin is out

Highway ride wasn't much different. It was the rough as hell back roads where it made a difference. You definitely will feel more roll. I was still able to slide the back end around comfortably though. My truck was once lowered and had some wide street tires on it, so now being leveled with all terrains I don't really take turns to fast anymore.:roflsquared: One thing I did notice was the truck felt like it got pushed around more when it was windy on the highway. I have since put mine back on, but all it is is a few bolts. I suggest to try it anyway, you don't even have to take the wheels off.

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Removed mine in my old truck after I lifted it. No issues and it helped the ride. Just don't drive like a douche bag and you won't die. Gonna do the same on this truck I think.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's quite a few threads on this throughout the internet, that all just kinda die out with no answer/solution.

Have one of you cracked the code yet?

If not to completely disconnect, at least an upgrade to allow more flex up front.. There's not much allowance as it is... But mostly all of the restriction is that front sway bar..
0bed10c94d3b2b443165459532465c5f.jpg

IMO

So I've done no investigation here but would a quick disconnect kit work from a JK? I don't know the pin diameter off hand but you can just mount the extra brackets wherever is easiest to hold the links up and out of the way. I had the metal cloak version on my JK and they worked great. Just tap them on and off with a rubber mallet.

Synergy Jeep JK Front Sway Bar Quick Disconnect Pins and Mounting Brackets

Longer links might allow the bar to sit closer to its stock orientation but I would b a little concerned about making your shock the travel limiting factor in your front suspension.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can definitely tell a difference in the ride, it "sways" more lol.

I wouldn't leave them off permanently just because of all the interstate driving I do daily, and taking corners and dodging idiots out here happens very often.

But it does feel a hell of a lot better, and if I were back home, with nothing but back roads and 2 lane hwys... Id leave them off.

As far as the quick disconnect..you would pretty much have to have a pin on top and bottom.. Most of the other products are designed for a 90° top or bottom application.. So you disconnect, then swing it up and lock it. These cannot be "swung up" because its on a balljoint and not a swivel. (This is my understanding after examining it.)

As far as all the support being on the shock, I'd like to hear some more comments on that. Because if it is, then that doesn't seem good... But what about all the other vehicles that disconnect for offroading? What is supporting theirs? Or is that an ifs only thing?

IMO

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Waiting on comparison pictures......

Haha glad you liked it. It does a lot better on rough roads. Did you climb up on anything to see the difference?

I highly doubt that the 4wd front end uses the sway bar as a limiter. That seems pretty dumb of a manufacturer to do that.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have to drive kinda far to legally drive up a rock in CA.. If you even touch a curb or a blade of grass someone will have a heart attack..

This friday I should be going out for some fun and Im going to disconnect them.

IMO