Sway Bar Disconnects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to drive kinda far to legally drive up a rock in CA.. If you even touch a curb or a blade of grass someone will have a heart attack..

This friday I should be going out for some fun and Im going to disconnect them.

IMO
Pretty sure disconnecting sway bars in California causes cancer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be interested in seeing the difference

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So here you go... One pic connected, one disconnected. Not a huge difference, but enough to keep the rear wheel on the ground in the same spot.

(If you look at the lower control arms you can see the difference)

Connected37ab390c558dd22a2c51f7812f5046fe.jpg
Disconnected
326cee2b4e5012e773cfeda3ad1040d0.jpg

IMO

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took mine off earlier this week..definitely rides better. Notice a little roll but nothing too crazy. Not sure if I'll stay this way or not though.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure if you have Bils cranked up it will help mitigate some of the sway and/or roll compared to say, a truck with stock stuts........the preload should help a bit.

I ran SAW's on my Tacoma and I disconnected the swaybar, the stiffer coils definatley helped keep things under control................I did reconnect the sway bar as I started over extending the cv's just enough they were snapping too easily.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can definitely tell the difference in driving.. Mine will be like this until I pick up a new end link tomorrow.

Maybe I didn't tighten it down enough, or I was on uneven ground.. But my bottom nut came off a couple days ago and the ball joint boot busted. Probably came into contact with the lca.

IMO

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a major difference in my book. Looks great!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
did you try pulling onto the higher part of the rock? would have liked to see the new flex on that

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think this would be an issue with the Rams?

IMO

Well that's a loaded question............but, yes, it could be. However, I don't think I'd worry too much, just be cognisant when the front end is flexed out, especially when the wheels are turned.

Now to be fair, I did have a Loc-Rite up front in the Tacoma and let me tell ya, that thing was a BEAST for a full bodied, IFS rig, lockers front and rear will do that for ya!

Now for the ram, having an open diff will work in your favor and if you have the 44-44 on demand case, that would probably help abit as the shock load transfer should be a little less but that logic may go out the window if you are mashing the gas to "keep" the case locked up...........

And it's not like you can't snap a cv on a stock ram with the sway bar connected..................just be smart about it and hey, at the end of the day a cv isn't hard to replace. I kept a spare in the Tacoma and could swap one out in under 30 minutes on the trail (yes, I snapped a few and had a little practice, as did some of my fellow Taco wheelers)

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hey austin, i found something that might be interesting to you.

So I was just looking at an offroad parts site and i saw how a lot of the sway bar disconnects are designed. Then it dawned on me, rcx actually has a similar design!
All you would need to find is the quick disconnect pins.

6in Suspension Lift Kit for 12-16 Dodge 4wd 1500 Ram | Rough Country Suspension Systems® - look at the sway bar links in the picture.

step 48 in the instructions http://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/92132400B.pdf

we would just need to either find or make a pin for both top and bottom, and a clip for them.

:favorites13:

Ill be emailing rcx to see if i can get a price on those parts.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So the rough country lift comes with a whole new lengthened link... The superlift kit comes with an extension?

I wonder what the actual length is, because there are products already on the market with that same design.

Bet these would work if theyre the right length..
http://www.jcwhitney.com/p3069980/sku-1144625.jcwx?TID=gglpla&gclid=CKKy_rqywcwCFU9cfgodCAYFrg

IMO

yeah those are the same design as the rcx. Im guessing the rcx will be the proper length.
If they aren't too expensive ill order a set.

But yeah surprisingly all the other kits use extension pieces but rcx has a full length.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i always took them off but never had a truck this big so not sure its a good idea with these heavier trucks.