Switch-Pros install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think for me, the spod would be a better option, since I need multiple relays.. It comes with 6 fused relays and the switch pod for the cab at $500..

If I got the switch pros pod $383 (if I get the same deal).. I would still need to get the spod "source" at around $400.

So thats right at $700 .. For $750 at spod I get that setup with a digital touch screen switch pod. Lol.. The options...

Not thread jacking, just thinking...

IMO

I looked at the sPod, but wasn't going to spend $750 to get the touch screen. Its too big to fit any A pillar mount unless you fab one from scratch. The regular sPod still requires regular switches and I just didn't like the mounting options. Are you gonna be pulling big amps that you need the relays? Most LED lights don't draw much.

I was also concerned about the room to mount stuff under the hood. The sPod controller is fairly large, especially in comparison to the Switch-Pros. You could also look into the Bussman relay boxes if you need the relays. I have one that I got through a guy on one of the off road forums, but I know there are some on eBay around the same price. I paid around $115 and it has 5 30 amp relays and 5 15 amp fused leads. I changed my mind after I bought it and got the Switch-Pros, but I could certainly add it in if I needed the capacity.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't see a switchpros control box.. Maybe I should look again.. if thats the case, seems like a better price than spod, and I like your switch pod better.

So far I have a 200W light bar, and adding 4 more round lights at 80W each. So I think it would be a good idea to have those on relays.

IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Switch-Pros controller is only going to work with their switches. Nice thing is it's only 3" x 6" x 1/2", so it's easy to mount. The bottom picture in my first post shows it mounted.

The 200w light bar is no problem since it's only drawing 16.6 amps, but trying to switch all 4 round lights is gonna pull 30 amps. Right at the limit of the high amp switch.

You could always split the rounds into pairs and use two switches or just use a single relay for those.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do the switches function if the panel loses power?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Kind of makes a auxiliary battery connect switch pointless doesn't it?

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kind of makes a auxiliary battery connect switch pointless doesn't it?

That label is just on there as a place holder. I don't have 8 things wired up , but in order to keep the back lighting from being a nuisance you sort of need to put a label on each switch. I just picked a few that I would either use later or didn't mind chucking when I do hook something up for that switch. I suppose I could have just used black electrical tape to cover them...

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I understand. My point is that the problem with Switch Pro and SPOD is they only work if the chassis battery has power. If you need to jump from your auxiliary battery using the bridging switch you can't wire through your $400 and $750 switch banks. It's a shame, I want a Switch Pro but, like you, won't use all of the switches and don't want a hard wired switch next to the panel. The auxiliary battery is specifically an interest to me because of the winch on my truck.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think if you connect power to the switch from both batteries you could then use the panel to switch between them. Maybe someone that's a little more familiar with dual battery setups could pipe up...

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good idea. I'll give them a call and see if they have a solution. I'm sure this is something they've thought of.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
Very nice. Good ideas.