Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was just looking to purchase a rp 20-820 filter from summit. No longer available??? Just messaged nick at got to see if he has some. Anyone have a clue? Royal purple website also not pulling up for me

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Was just looking to purchase a rp 20-820 filter from summit. No longer available??? Just messaged nick at got to see if he has some. Anyone have a clue? Royal purple website also not pulling up for me

i just bought one 2 weeks ago from pep boys. ordered online and got 20% off. came to around 13.5. u may want to get 2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I jus run what came.
Syn mobil one however i ONLY use a good syn filter
KnN, Royal P. Bout 12/13 dollars.
I think there is a cheaper one made by fram but still full syn.
Change bout every 7 unless i tow a lot then 5.
Now, i use nothing but amsoil tran fluid every 35.
Couldn't believe the shifting diff between the 2 oils. Stock/HD Amsoil.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I jus run what came.
Syn mobil one however i ONLY use a good syn filter
KnN, Royal P. Bout 12/13 dollars.
I think there is a cheaper one made by fram but still full syn.
Change bout every 7 unless i tow a lot then 5.
Now, i use nothing but amsoil tran fluid every 35.
Couldn't believe the shifting diff between the 2 oils. Stock/HD Amsoil.

35,000 OCI on the trans is way more proactive than most truck owners. Good on you sir. If you can, try and shorten it more. RFE’s are awfully particular about staying clean. It had been recommended by trany rebuild shops to do at least fluid changes every 10,000. I know its crazy sounding. But its true.

Im on a plan to do fluid every year and fliters every other.

Just trying to help sir.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
35,000 OCI on the trans is way more proactive than most truck owners. Good on you sir. If you can, try and shorten it more. RFE’s are awfully particular about staying clean. It had been recommended by trany rebuild shops to do at least fluid changes every 10,000. I know its crazy sounding. But its true.

Im on a plan to do fluid every year and fliters every other.

Just trying to help sir.

Wow no kiding? 10 thou?
**** i was bout to cry when i found out i should do it at 35. But i got a question maybe yiu can help wit.
Im almost due for that fluid change in 5 thou. It'll be the 3rd time. 2 times Pryor we used a flush then conditioner. Mind you this is just a flush, not a filter change. Should i go ahead and get filter swap also are is it needed beimg i flush and have bn relatively good about changing the stuff...

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Getting ready to replace my car's engine, soon, wanna know what the best off the shelf easily sourced oil and filter is based on the information we have at hand, here.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wow no kiding? 10 thou?
**** i was bout to cry when i found out i should do it at 35. But i got a question maybe yiu can help wit.
Im almost due for that fluid change in 5 thou. It'll be the 3rd time. 2 times Pryor we used a flush then conditioner. Mind you this is just a flush, not a filter change. Should i go ahead and get filter swap also are is it needed beimg i flush and have bn relatively good about changing the stuff...

Being the spin on filter is paper media..... i would change it. JMO. Some guys are comfortable with 30,000 on filters. Burla cut his open after 8 years but i can not remember the miles he had on it. Don’t even want to guess but I do remember him talking about how the paper media was extremely stiff and in poor shape. He puts very little miles on the truck as it’s just a work truck for him. Not necessary a DD.

Burla?

That said, id change it. On the same note. If you’ve been following the original synthetic oil thread we have been discussing for quite some time now (on and off) .... we have the ability to run high quality synthetic media engine oil filters in place of the paper OEM filter. If you’re interested in using something other than OEM we can talk about that but if you just want to use OEM filters which is perfectly acceptable I would change them every other year or so. Im mean, it is just paper filtering Oil that faces drastic temperature change every time you drive it.

There honestly is not much wrong with paper filters, they get the job done fairly well.....BUT they do not last very long AT ALL.

You using a “flush” additive? If you are doing something like that then absolutely change the filters.

Sorry I’ve got to cut it short got to get back to work.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mine was an anomoly due to long years, but there is nothing more you need to know then it's paper. If you read the filter thread and wanna run paper filter god bless ya, I'm too busy to go further, good luck with it. If you wanna fix that, we have figured it out. Get a metal thread adapter and wix 57055xp and knock the paint off and follow RLK's dyi thread. Get an upgraded pan, and do a fluid refresher once a year, gallon of c+, seams like a winning strategy. Don't want to get an upgrded pan, suck a gallon out with syn's pump.

Google-
ALEKO BST1017N 12V 8A DC Motor Fuel Oil Diesel Extractor Scavenge Suction Transfer Pump

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
5w30 in whatever is on the top of this poll, m1 or PP can't go wrong.
Cool, and the RP filters are on shelves, too, right? Less important since you only need them every/every other change, but it's still more convenient.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being the spin on filter is paper media..... i would change it. JMO. Some guys are comfortable with 30,000 on filters. Burla cut his open after 8 years but i can not remember the miles he had on it. Don’t even want to guess but I do remember him talking about how the paper media was extremely stiff and in poor shape. He puts very little miles on the truck as it’s just a work truck for him. Not necessary a DD.

Burla?

That said, id change it. On the same note. If you’ve been following the original synthetic oil thread we have been discussing for quite some time now (on and off) .... we have the ability to run high quality synthetic media engine oil filters in place of the paper OEM filter. If you’re interested in using something other than OEM we can talk about that but if you just want to use OEM filters which is perfectly acceptable I would change them every other year or so. Im mean, it is just paper filtering Oil that faces drastic temperature change every time you drive it.

There honestly is not much wrong with paper filters, they get the job done fairly well.....BUT they do not last very long AT ALL.

You using a “flush” additive? If you are doing something like that then absolutely change the filters.

Burla?

Not sure we on same page. I was talking about transmission. I was asking if the pan filter should be changed out. Iv been using a cleanser then an additive with new fluid every 30/35 thou.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not sure we on same page. I was talking about transmission. I was asking if the pan filter should be changed out. Iv been using a cleanser then an additive with new fluid every 30/35 thou.
Assuming you’re talking about and RFE transmission

If you’re using a cleaner in your transmission I would change the filters (plural) every time.

The transmission also has a spin on filter just like your engine. Has the sump filter like you’re talking about that has a felt, but also has a spin on.

We are talking about the same thing.

The felt filter will outlast the OEM paper filter guaranteed but if you’re in there changing the spin on paper filter then you might as well change the sump filter to.

Like Mike said the paper sucks ass. You’re welcome to run it but it’s not what we will do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming you’re talking about and RFE transmission

If you’re using a cleaner in your transmission I would change the filters (plural) every time.

The transmission also has a spin on filter just like your engine. Has the sump filter like you’re talking about that has a felt, but also has a spin on.

We are talking about the same thing.

The felt filter will outlast the OEM paper filter guaranteed but if you’re in there changing the spin on paper filter then you might as well change the sump filter to.

Like Mike said the paper sucks ass. You’re welcome to run it but it’s not what we will do.

Well I'll be dang, i had no idea about the spin on filter and the sump! Guess thats what got me confused. No one has ever said a word about that to me till now. Thing is, i been under that truck lots and times and seen nothing that resembles a spin on filter.
2012 ram 1500 4x4 6 speed ??
As far as it being RFE!
Not a clue..

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Lately I started using pup and pup synthetic oil filter. I do add a few oz of lubegard biotech to add moly, but do that in all my cars. I am a firm believer that a good oil pressure is what makes difference if people have hemi tick. My truck(13 5.7) has zero hemi tick and at 55k miles, my oil pressure is better than any I seen on here, low start 40s, around 58 just cruising on highway and gun it and goes 70+ psi.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'll be dang, i had no idea about the spin on filter and the sump! Guess thats what got me confused. No one has ever said a word about that to me till now. Thing is, i been under that truck lots and times and seen nothing that resembles a spin on filter.
As far as it being RFE!
Not a clue..

The spin-on filter is inside the transmission oil pan.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as it being RFE!
Not a clue..
Here's pics of the spin on and sump filter when I changed mine on my 65RFE 6 Speed Xsmn .
The spin on is right beside the dip stick & guide tube , hope this helps [emoji1303][emoji1303]6f3eaf46a349f8a06a496de97c75eba8.jpg8200b489cc7d21c194a47dc2bca24a0f.jpgc4d55d0200ea10eb9ec668f534726de1.jpg2778110ebb9237847f78bc0f41ecf692.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk