Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2016 with 7k miles on it, a few times i do get that lifter tick upon 1st start up of a day.
I dont even think its broken in yet!
It was my buddy from works lease return, i dont put many miles on either.
Should i try 0w30 or 5w30? I only put 2k on it since march when i bought it, no idea what the dealer put in.

First you need to find out if it is lifter tick or exhaust tick. If it is lifter tick, then you can try a lubrication strategy, look at the thread in my sig about quieting hemi tick. 5w30 redline seams to be the best chance at killing ticks, but high molybdenum oils have a good shot, and high moly additives have some success. Try some different things and oil filters as well, see my oil filter thread as well. the large RP filter seams to be good as well, part number 20-820.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Read my oil filter thread in my sig.

As for oil, many choices are good, if you look at the forum as a hole Pennzoil is number one, so yes it is not crap anymore since shell bought them, especially PUP which is srt oil and very low wear numbers. Second most used oil is m1 despite not having spec, the best deal with costco deal in oil another great choice. Then you have amsoil number 3, new formula boosts moly another good choice. The 4th you have redline, if you have hemi tick or any raspy noise the only choice, great long term wear numbers. Then you have some honorable mention oils, qsud great deal and new formula has high moly. If you want really cheap PYB great choice as well. That should narrow down a bit, those are the top oils on the forum, read the poll thread. Newer oil is rotella gas and truck, very high moly as well, along with shaeffers.

Another consideration is weight, almost 1/2 the forum uses 30 weight or higher.

Dang...

Great post mike!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If it were me I'd run 5w30, I don't see how gas could be part of this hemi tick deal. But running uppercylinder lubes can quiet engines in general with next to no risk. The only possible risk is a clogged fuel filter, extremely rare even but sometimes a UCL will dislodge something. Redline s1 or tcw3 are two popular ones, lucas ucl or mmo as well for budget options.

Actually,

In regards to gas additives. TCW3 is the cheapest if you find the killer deals on amazon.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First you need to find out if it is lifter tick or exhaust tick. If it is lifter tick, then you can try a lubrication strategy, look at the thread in my sig about quieting hemi tick. 5w30 redline seams to be the best chance at killing ticks, but high molybdenum oils have a good shot, and high moly additives have some success. Try some different things and oil filters as well, see my oil filter thread as well. the large RP filter seams to be good as well, part number 20-820.

Thanks for the info. Ill have to search exhaust tick! It only does it for a few seconds at startup but not everyday. I've only had it since march so have no idea what cold months will do.

SCr1pT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put Amsoil in my RAM & DART. But when it comes to my 29 hotrod, I use Royal Purple

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as Mobil1 is offering rebates I'll get the M1 Advanced. If no rebate Pennzoil UP.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Giving Schaeffer's 5W-20 a shot. At 25k on my 18, started getting a start up tick after being parked for a few days at a time (Airport). Has PUP in it currently for last oil change. For now assumed it to be the lifter tick and we'll see if the higher Moly, etc, alleviates it.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Giving Schaeffer's 5W-20 a shot. At 25k on my 18, started getting a start up tick after being parked for a few days at a time (Airport). Has PUP in it currently for last oil change. For now assumed it to be the lifter tick and we'll see if the higher Moly, etc, alleviates it.

Let me know how it goes. I've got a noisy '18. Running through all the 5w20 oils to see if I can find one that works before switching to 5w30. Amazon has a great price on this stuff if you commit to a 5-gallon bucket.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a noisy '18. Running through all the 5w20 oils to see if I can find one that works before switching to 5w30.

Hope you find that 20W that helps your noisy '18, but man...give RL 5W30 a try and save some trial-and-error time. Bet you'll hear your Hemi saying "Thank you". :favorites13:

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use 6 quarts 5w20 Pennzoil platinum and one quart lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Im thinking next oil change might try 5w30

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those in hemi owners in canada, canadiantire has some pretty record low prices on Pennzoil synthetic oils.

The ultraplatinum is 26.99 and platinum is 22.79. Add the 10$/jug rebate and we're talking 5L of oil for under 20bucks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I use 6 quarts 5w20 Pennzoil platinum and one quart lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Im thinking next oil change might try 5w30

Have you ever looked at lucas stabilizer?

Here's tech info from lucas.

cSt is the oil viscosity at operating temperature, 5w20 cSt is viscosity 8, 5w30 cSt is viscoisty 12, gear fluid cSt viscosity is in the 20's. So you are literally dumping an oil product in your sump that is twice as thick as gear fluid, lucas viscosity 45. The only legit use for this stuff is if you have damaged rings and you are burning oil.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

cSt is the oil viscosity at operating temperature, 5w20 cSt is viscosity 8, 5w30 cSt is viscoisty 12, gear fluid cSt viscosity is in the 20's. So you are literally dumping an oil product in your sump that is twice as thick as gear fluid, lucas viscosity 45. The only legit use for this stuff is if you have damaged rings and you are burning oil.

100% spot on.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I was going to say something if you didn’t! Lucas is trash products top to bottom. I fell for them once too.

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have had great luck over the years with it a couple vehicles reaching super high mileage and i think your talking about the regular lucas stabilzer the synthetic is not thick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have had great luck over the years with it a couple vehicles reaching super high mileage and i think your talking about the regular lucas stabilzer the synthetic is not thick.

Click on the highlighted link, it is the synthetic one. The regular one is twice as thick! On link read cSt, that is how thick it is at engine operating temp. It is ab oil thickner and twice as thick as gear fluid, and regular stabilizer is 4 times as thick as gear fluid cSt. It may smooth out an engine, but at what cost? There are other ways to skin that cat.