Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Click on the highlighted link, it is the synthetic one. The regular one is twice as thick! On link read cSt, that is how thick it is at engine operating temp. It is ab oil thickner and twice as thick as gear fluid, and regular stabilizer is 4 times as thick as gear fluid cSt. It may smooth out an engine, but at what cost? There are other ways to skin that cat.
Wow! I didn't think it was that thick either. Now the regular stabilizer yeah... that stuff comes out like honey.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is what I was doing with my 6.4! After reading this, I might stop that $hit right away!

Wait, if I understand correctly than You were using 20w oil in a 6.4...?

Ill be frank.
That make ZERO sense man. Im not even going to ask why. There is no good reason sir.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wait, if I understand correctly than You were using 20w oil in a 6.4...?

Ill be frank.
That make ZERO sense man. Im not even going to ask why. There is no good reason sir.

I think he was talking about lucas.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Have my 6.4 cold start and high operating temp noise behind us. Oil changes are now 6 PUP 5-40 and 1 Lucas synthetic stabilizer. RP oil filter. I "suspect" the 5-40 killed the dry start noise and the Lucas is stopping the high temp oil break down. No science or engineering claimed, just worked on this engine. Fitz

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I'm not suggesting don't use lucas, but I would suggest trying many things before going that aggressive. I do believe no tick is better then tick, and if you have to go there then that would be ok. One thing someone could do it just use a thick oil like 20/50 or 15w40, that is likely what you did. You might want to get a uoa. The bottom line, when you use lucas as a strategy then you are using viscosity as your strategy. There are ways to skin that cat a better way without diluting your oil's additive package. There is no secret sauce in lucas, it is just a thick oil base, that is their trick.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Yeah, I'm not suggesting don't use lucas, but I would suggest trying many things before going that aggressive. I do believe no tick is better then tick, and if you have to go there then that would be ok. One thing someone could do it just use a thick oil like 20/50 or 15w40, that is likely what you did. You might want to get a uoa. The bottom line, when you use lucas as a strategy then you are using viscosity as your strategy. There are ways to skin that cat a better way without diluting your oil's additive package. There is no secret sauce in lucas, it is just a thick oil base, that is their trick.
That is interesting and your point, as I understand it, is be careful not to get that oil flow to thick. I can see your point. I think on next change I will stay with the 5-40 but go with maybe Mollly lube or possibility ProLong. Do-not like the chlorine though. That said, the Lucas synthetic additive is no more thick than the PUP 5-40.; Pour rate is nearly identical.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm due for an oil change.
2016 Laramie 1500 with 99K miles.
Recommendations on these three:

Pennzoil Platinum vs.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum vs.
Pennzoil Platinum High Milage

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm due for an oil change.
2016 Laramie 1500 with 99K miles.
Recommendations on these three:

Pennzoil Platinum vs.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum vs.
Pennzoil Platinum High Milage

All three are great choices, I think PUP pricing is so close it is worth it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is interesting and your point, as I understand it, is be careful not to get that oil flow to thick. I can see your point. I think on next change I will stay with the 5-40 but go with maybe Mollly lube or possibility ProLong. Do-not like the chlorine though. That said, the Lucas synthetic additive is no more thick than the PUP 5-40.; Pour rate is nearly identical.

What's molly lube? As long as you understand the risks use what strategy you choose, it's your truck. Let us know what works for you and what doesn't.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
What's molly lube? As long as you understand the risks use what strategy you choose, it's your truck. Let us know what works for you and what doesn't.
Meant to say the Lubriderm product we have talked about here. So far,,, 6 5-40 PUP and 1 Lucas synthetic additive is getting me a no noise cold start and no noise at full operating temp. That said we are in winter and will need to see what the oil does when summer heat and full operating temp come together. The Lucas synthetic "according to my race friends" is effective at preventing oil breakdown at our high operating temps. As you and others have pointed out,,,these engines/lubrication are being stressed with high operating temps to meet government clean air standards. Happy New year and thank you for looking over our shoulders last year. Fitz

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Meant to say the Lubriderm product we have talked about here. So far,,, 6 5-40 PUP and 1 Lucas synthetic additive is getting me a no noise cold start and no noise at full operating temp. That said we are in winter and will need to see what the oil does when summer heat and full operating temp come together. The Lucas synthetic "according to my race friends" is effective at preventing oil breakdown at our high operating temps. As you and others have pointed out,,,these engines/lubrication are being stressed with high operating temps to meet government clean air standards. Happy New year and thank you for looking over our shoulders last year. Fitz

Did you note your oil pressure before and after pouring in the Lucas additive?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Did you note your oil pressure before and after pouring in the Lucas additive?

I did and to that point. Since I went from factory 0-40 Penz (what ever) to the different oils I have been trying. Each, raised the idle and operating temp PSI by 1-4 lbs. The 5-40 and Lucas changed it by 5 lbs cold and 3 lbs hot. I know we have talked about the balancing act for our 6.4 engines. Some tolerances are said to be tight while others are a flow issue. I "suspect" the cold start quick rattle that is now gone was caused by over night drain down with no adherence quailty.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If everything is running fine on both I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not a huge Valvoline guy simply because their oils have 0 moly but hey if your wifes Pentastar is happy on it, run it. For the truck, I would lean towards QSUD. Readily available and priced well. Also still contains 130 ppm of moly.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree about the QSUD. I have used it in my 2004 Ram since new. The price is right and I can change it more frequently without emptying my wallet.
No Hemi tick with 97,000 miles. Engine runs great. No need for expensive oil just change it and use a quality filter.