Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys,
A little help here. I've been a diesel guy (98.5 Dodge Ram 2500) for the last 22 years. 3 gallons of dino Rotella 15w40 and a Fleetguard filter. Now I am a Hemi guy (2014 1500 Big horn). It looks like Redline 5w20 (P/N 15205) is the go to for keeping the Hemi tick at bay. Anything else I need to know? I've read about a million pages of oil ideas and thoughts. It all becomes muddied after an hour or three.
Thanks,
KenR 955

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Guys,
A little help here. I've been a diesel guy (98.5 Dodge Ram 2500) for the last 22 years. 3 gallons of dino Rotella 15w40 and a Fleetguard filter. Now I am a Hemi guy (2014 1500 Big horn). It looks like Redline 5w20 (P/N 15205) is the go to for keeping the Hemi tick at bay. Anything else I need to know? I've read about a million pages of oil ideas and thoughts. It all becomes muddied after an hour or three.
Thanks,
KenR 955

2014 just got hemi tick? Did you rule out exhaust bolts? So if there are high miles as i over 75k, then redline is much less likely to help, but imo still worth a shot. However, 5w20 aint it, 5w30 redline would give you the best shot at killing the tick. I'd go get a royal purple 20-820 to match that redline, spun microglass is the way to go, read oil filter thread.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla,
I will keep reading, for sure! 96k on this truck. Dealer fixed the exhaust leak before I bought it. It makes some noise on startup, it seems to go away in about 30-90 seconds. Coming from a 24 valve Cummins, EVERYTHING is quieter than that!
5W30 huh? many say yes, just as many say no. I learned to drive back in the 20w50--10w40 era and so much has changed and I've not kept up. I just dump in what the manual says to, but these Hemi engines seem fickle about oil weight.

Thanks for the help,
KenR 955

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is up to you, but the work from 100's of ram forum members 5w30 redline is the best at killing hemi tick, 0w30 if you live in snow state almost as good. At nearly 100k miles your tolerances and much wide, thus why every high mileage oil goes up in viscosity. The people that wrote the manual are the same people who haven't done anything about hemi tick, it took many ram forum members plus a decade to come up with the answers. good luck with whatever you try, 5w20 redline did kill my tick, but I followed the forum who most went with 5w30 on this issue. Now 8 years on 5w30 redline and mostly nothing but butter smooth running.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
changed oil today and had a heck of a time finding Pennzoil ultra platinum in 0-40. Finally found some at an oil distributer center. none of the usual places carried it. funny thing is the guy at O'rielys told me pennzoil was junk. I told him Mopar recommended it in their Hemi 6.4's and he said that was BS.

Last edited:

DReinke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been interested in the Castrol Edge since they have been promoting the EP capabilities of the fluid. I contacted Castrol and here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE 5W-20 U.S. oil meeting ILSAC GF-6 / API SP specifications and being GM dexos1 Gen 2 approved contains a typical range of 780-900 ppm of Zinc and 700-800 ppm of Phosphorus.

The level of Molybdenum in Castrol EDGE 5W-20 U.S. oil meeting ILSAC GF-6 / API SP and being GM dexos1 Gen 2 approved is on the order of 80 ppm. The moly is combined with other anti-wear and anti-friction components including our patented titanium additive to deliver a high performing full synthetic motor oil.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Based on this information , I've used Castrol Edge 5w-20 in my last fluid change. So far the engine is quiet and seems to be happy with the fluid.

What does everyone think about the chemical values Castrol provided?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi all,

How's everyone doing in the oil thread?

A question... My work van 2019 6k miles Nissan Nv200 got a 5-30 Quaker state full synthetic oil change today... As it was easiest place for me to bring it to :)

Whats the verdict of Quaker full synthetic for the little v4 of Nissan Nv200?

Thank you! :)

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'm surprised the little 4 banger calls for 5-30.

My wife's Patriot 4 cyl calls for 5-20.

Quaker State seems to be okay nowadays from the experts.

I recently became an Amsoil guy.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi all,

How's everyone doing in the oil thread?

A question... My work van 2019 6k miles Nissan Nv200 got a 5-30 Quaker state full synthetic oil change today... As it was easiest place for me to bring it to :)

Whats the verdict of Quaker full synthetic for the little v4 of Nissan Nv200?

Thank you! :)

whaddup Kap,
High Moly a clone to truck and gas most likely. Great oil.

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have used Amsoil SS 5W-20 in my 2016 5.7 since emptying my FF at 3,000 miles with OCI of 8-10K miles. I now have 85,000 miles on the truck. I don't have the tick but after recently replacing my headers with JBA shorty's I now hear what could be a tick. Not sure if it is the "tick" or just valve train noise. After reading the synthetic oil thread novel on this site, I have decided to switch to Redline 5W-30 mainly because I live in Central TX and want a heavier weight oil and the number of users who have reported good results. Have never had a UOA done. However, I just ordered a Blackstone kit and will send in a sample on the next change. I ordered 2 gallons of Redline 5W-30 from Amazon and will receive them tomorrow. Question: I still have 7 quarts of SS 5W-20 (purchased for next OC) and would like to use it up. I also would like to get some Redline in my engine asap. Has anyone mixed Redline 5W-30 with Amsoil SS 5W-20? If so, what ratio would you recommended?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In my opinion, you run redline and see if it kills the tick, that amsoil will last many many years in the bottle. They are compatible, but tick killing is such an important thing that personally I would do what works. Now, if redline can't kill the tick, mix away. Also, give redline at least a thousand miles before declaring your tick gone or not, it is the science of EP additives.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We need one of these threads for 6.7 cummins preferred oil!

Yeah there really should be, they really did a number on diesel engine oils. They removed a lot of the additives that helped those engines last forever. I know redline "might" have the best base oils for diesel oil, I highlight might, but I believe their formula doesn't have much moly, which is a huge let down. I wonder if Amsoil might be the better choice, to be honest I haven't looked.

If I was to look at most desirable HD oil I would want one with synthetic base stock, the most additive levels, moly level and highest viscosity index, cold crank numbers very important if truck is used in cold state. I know that to ck-4 the titan's of HD oils formulas do not look so good. In fact Ford wouldn't even allow them in their trucks for the longest time. So if I had a cummins, I would research it a bit, and be surprised maybe even walmart oil would compare well. One thing for sure, I'd look at a shorter interval then oil the previous specs supported.

mamoore9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wanted to see if one of the oil gurus can clear up something for me. I'm due for an oil change here soon and wanted to swap over to RL. I live in a colder climate. Is the direction to go for 0w30 in the winter and then 5w30 in the summer? Plan to go for the RP 20-820 also.

I'm at 30k miles on my '18. Only ever heard tick/piston slap at a startup when it was cold, but I want to hold onto this truck for the long-haul and want to keep it lubricated well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wanted to see if one of the oil gurus can clear up something for me. I'm due for an oil change here soon and wanted to swap over to RL. I live in a colder climate. Is the direction to go for 0w30 in the winter and then 5w30 in the summer? Plan to go for the RP 20-820 also.

I'm at 30k miles on my '18. Only ever heard tick/piston slap at a startup when it was cold, but I want to hold onto this truck for the long-haul and want to keep it lubricated well.

I like the strategy of running 0w30 even year round in cold states. If I was going to use 5w30 during summer months I would do so only if the engine was ticking on 0w30, and so far this hasn't been the case in most vehicles. To be honest 5w30 is hemi honey, but maybe 0w30 is hemi butter, we don't have enough guys running it year round to make that statement, but so far I don't know anyone yet who said 0w30 wasn't as smooth as 5w30 redline.

Oddly enough, from my own experience I know 10w30 is actually worst then 0w30 or 5w30 as a tick killer. So far 0w30 seams to be on par with 5w30. Also, you still have a move to make if you have cold piston slap after 0w30, which is 0w20 redline. Whatever works at killing the tick is what we should be using, and thanks to Corey aka hemi395, and Justin and Kyle and other ram members we kinda have some ideas how different redlines are working in the cold. The ***** about it is some guys will have to spend money on an expensive oil finding the sweet spot, so hopefully you can follow what worked for other guys and perhaps that will be the golden ticket for your truck.

mamoore9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like the strategy of running 0w30 even year round in cold states. If I was going to use 5w30 during summer months I would do so only if the engine was ticking on 0w30, and so far this hasn't been the case in most vehicles. To be honest 5w30 is hemi honey, but maybe 0w30 is hemi butter, we don't have enough guys running it year round to make that statement, but so far I don't know anyone yet who said 0w30 wasn't as smooth as 5w30 redline.

Oddly enough, from my own experience I know 10w30 is actually worst then 0w30 or 5w30 as a tick killer. So far 0w30 seams to be on par with 5w30. Also, you still have a move to make if you have cold piston slap after 0w30, which is 0w20 redline. Whatever works at killing the tick is what we should be using, and thanks to Corey aka hemi395, and Justin and Kyle and other ram members we kinda have some ideas how different redlines are working in the cold. The ***** about it is some guys will have to spend money on an expensive oil finding the sweet spot, so hopefully you can follow what worked for other guys and perhaps that will be the golden ticket for your truck.

Thanks for the help. I'll give 0w30 a shot

doubleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help. I'll give 0w30 a shot
I notice you are in Nebraska, and so am I. While we are cold weather in winter, we are 95 degrees and 90% humidity from May to September, so I have been reluctant to go to 0W30 year round. Hoping Burla can offer his opinion knowing that we go from 10 degrees to 95+ for many months here in Nebraska.