Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I notice you are in Nebraska, and so am I. While we are cold weather in winter, we are 95 degrees and 90% humidity from May to September, so I have been reluctant to go to 0W30 year round. Hoping Burla can offer his opinion knowing that we go from 10 degrees to 95+ for many months here in Nebraska.

So look at viscosity index's, in some brands 5w30 might be thicker at operating temp, but 0w30 is almost as thick, plus because of modern oil specs they have better base oils. So it is a fallacy to think 0w30 wont be as thick at the end of an interval just because of winter rating. Those base oils give those oils "naturally" occurring cold performance, whereas other oils use more vii's which are useless or harmfull to an extent at the end of an oci.

So if your 0w30 has dexos, medcedes, and/or Porsche specs, they are stay in grande specs, so oil blenders make those 0 winter rated oils their best oil. I personally believe 0w30 may be the best oil for the hemi period, in hot or cold weather. This holds true across most brands of oil, now we know there are notable exceptions such as redline 5w30, but those exceptions are for hot performance not cold. We had rams with hemi tick knock cold with 5w30 and not 0w30, plus 0w30 had good enough hot performance to keep tick away in summer. Ram forum has proven 0w30 is a better options in snow states for the cold then 5w30 redline. Look up cSt or ask me when you pick an oil, and then I can point out what I am saying. PUP is another notable disappointment, as they don't even go with a 0w30.

If you get cold piston slap, then even 0w20 is a legit strategy. Again, people think 0w20 is super thin compared to 5w20, this is a complete misunderstanding of those oil weights. The only issue with 0w30, is trying to find it, lol. It usually is a great oil, and you may have to pay extra for the base oils.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
if I didn't live in such a warm place, I would use 0w30 redline year round. If I had cold piston slap, I would even go straight to 0w20 for winter.

mamoore9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I notice you are in Nebraska, and so am I. While we are cold weather in winter, we are 95 degrees and 90% humidity from May to September, so I have been reluctant to go to 0W30 year round. Hoping Burla can offer his opinion knowing that we go from 10 degrees to 95+ for many months here in Nebraska.
Yeah our climate is an odd one for sure. Thats why i considered doing 2 different oils; one in the winter, one in the summer

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Yeah our climate is an odd one for sure. Thats why i considered doing 2 different oils; one in the winter, one in the summer

I just went from a blend (PUP) to Amsoil SS and went with 5w20 for the winter. We can hit -8 from time to time. I'll probably run 5w30 in the summer.

doubleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So look at viscosity index's, in some brands 5w30 might be thicker at operating temp, but 0w30 is almost as thick, plus because of modern oil specs they have better base oils. So it is a fallacy to think 0w30 wont be as thick at the end of an interval just because of winter rating. Those base oils give those oils "naturally" occurring cold performance, whereas other oils use more vii's which are useless or harmfull to an extent at the end of an oci.

So if your 0w30 has dexos, medcedes, and/or Porsche specs, they are stay in grande specs, so oil blenders make those 0 winter rated oils their best oil. I personally believe 0w30 may be the best oil for the hemi period, in hot or cold weather. This holds true across most brands of oil, now we know there are notable exceptions such as redline 5w30, but those exceptions are for hot performance not cold. We had rams with hemi tick knock cold with 5w30 and not 0w30, plus 0w30 had good enough hot performance to keep tick away in summer. Ram forum has proven 0w30 is a better options in snow states for the cold then 5w30 redline. Look up cSt or ask me when you pick an oil, and then I can point out what I am saying. PUP is another notable disappointment, as they don't even go with a 0w30.

If you get cold piston slap, then even 0w20 is a legit strategy. Again, people think 0w20 is super thin compared to 5w20, this is a complete misunderstanding of those oil weights. The only issue with 0w30, is trying to find it, lol. It usually is a great oil, and you may have to pay extra for the base oils.
I am using QSUD 5w30.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am using QSUD 5w30.

So if you look at chart below, your temps are well within it's operating range. So run that 5w30 with confidence. Here is the thing, what is not mentioned in the chart is even at 10f the 5w30 will be noticeable thicker then 0w30, very likely double as thick or close. I haven't run the exact numbers, it will vary slightly across brand so no real way to get an exact number, but your 5w30 will be thicker then 0w30 by a lot same brand.

So here is the long winded point, if you get cold piston slap, then consider 0w30, as explained 0w30 and 0 winter rated oils in general have become the best formulas available on the market, which is always why they cost more across any shelf brand. You get what you pay for.

We have guys on ram forum such as hemi395 and others, go from 5w30 to 0w30 because of cold piston slap only to have the 0w30 lessen that piston slap. We also have guys going from heavier oil to lighter oil, such as 40 weight to 30 weight, as well. Bottom line, let the engine tell you what to run, you don't have to live with cold piston slap until you tried 0w20 and it is still there, at that point you have done everything you can do. And as previously mentioned, 0w20 can and most of the time is hardier then 5w20. Stay in grade specs have demanded better base oils in these 0 winter rated oils.

Engine-Oil-Viscosity-Chart.png

JAM Land

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About to change the oil for the first time on my 2019 with 19k miles on it. Should I use 5W-20 like the manual suggests or preemptively switch to 5W-30? I don't have any tick symptoms; the engine sounds healthy and I want to keep that way.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
About to change the oil for the first time on my 2019 with 19k miles on it. Should I use 5W-20 like the manual suggests or preemptively switch to 5W-30? I don't have any tick symptoms; the engine sounds healthy and I want to keep that way.

If you decide to use Pennzoil platinum, which is a good choice, I'd go with 5w30 because it's particularly thin. The same can be said for most off the shelf synthetics.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
In Houston, Tx which oil is recommended for the 5.7 for daily driver? I have a 2019 classic.

Last time I used full synthetic 5w20 Oriellys brand oil.

I've only heard it tick one time when I started the truck for like 2 seconds.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Both 2012
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins 6.7
I run shell rotella T6 0w40 in my '12 2500 6.7L TD
And Pennzoil platinum 5w20 full synthetic in my '12 1500 5.7 Hemi

Pennzoil is recommended by my dealership to help the hemi prevent the sticky lifters in the higher mileage trucks.
If you switch i guarantee you will notice a difference....
Hemi has 255500km 157700 ish miles
One owner truck

I'll keep you posted on the 6.7 TD as we just bought it in Nov(2020) at 110000km.

2012-07-24 20.22.17.jpg

20201103_042505.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
First choice would be Red Line, 5W-20 adequate, 5W-30 if you plan to do lots of towing.

Second choice is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 5W-30, as others noted the 5W-20 is light.

The_R_chaney_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI V8
Hey everybody, I'm new ram truck owner, 2016 Bighorn 5.7 hemi 1500.. I'm, wondering if 0w-20 advance fuel economy mobil1 oil is ok to run in my engine besides
the recomended 5w-20

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey everybody, I'm new ram truck owner, 2016 Bighorn 5.7 hemi 1500.. I'm, wondering if 0w-20 advance fuel economy mobil1 oil is ok to run in my engine besides
the recomended 5w-20

yes, it is dexos which means high quality, oddly enough even carries our spec. Viscosity is close to 9 which is the best you can be in a 20 weight, and good pour point hints at some great stay in grade base oils, probably verified in sds dunno. Bottom line not only can you but it is a great option if specs sheet means anything. For people searching for 0 winter rated oils only, you can't go wrong with m1 offerings, still the gold standard. It is the second most used oil on the forum, you are good.

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445 8.8

Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97 -51

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I have a question. Does everything and the general consensus of this thread hold true for other engines and platforms? IE brand quality and such? I want to put nothing but the best on all of my rides. Though, currently, that's only my Suzuki DL650, I'll have another Ram again in the future and probably something else, too. A Challenger/Charger or Viper if I'm lucky.

And, crap, I forgot, what was the consensus on oil filters? Like, aside from the Royal Purple ones, what else fills out the top 3 or 5?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a question. Does everything and the general consensus of this thread hold true for other engines and platforms? IE brand quality and such? I want to put nothing but the best on all of my rides. Though, currently, that's only my Suzuki DL650, I'll have another Ram again in the future and probably something else, too. A Challenger/Charger or Viper if I'm lucky.

And, crap, I forgot, what was the consensus on oil filters? Like, aside from the Royal Purple ones, what else fills out the top 3 or 5?

Oil Filter thread

There are other resources like oil filter data.com. Look for filters that are spun microglass and use a bypass.

As far as oil, with the newest spec and last spec oil formulas are coming together, there is very little separating the "top" otc oils and the cheap synthetic oils. You want a good viscosity 9 for twenty weight -12ish for 30 weight, and viscosity index 160ish, usually easy to find on a stat sheet. Then you can look for moly levels to separate yourself from the field, it seams to be the one additive that has not equaled itself out on the stat sheets, maybe boron as well. If you have a di turbo, you want low CA and high Mag.

But generally imo NO, what is good for hemi's isn't necessarily good for other engines. It seams to me you want high additives and possible higher viscosity in a hemi but in other engines you may not benefit as much so you might opt to gum up your cats faster and save some dollars as high additive formulas usually cost. Many manus attempt to make specific formulas for specific engines, or at least they used to, dexos specs and others have been so stringent there seams to be less specialized formulas these days. It seams like someone like you would benefit from going the uoa route, set your mind at ease on what oil is actually working the best in your vehicle.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Oil Filter thread

There are other resources like oil filter data.com. Look for filters that are spun microglass and use a bypass.

As far as oil, with the newest spec and last spec oil formulas are coming together, there is very little separating the "top" otc oils and the cheap synthetic oils. You want a good viscosity 9 for twenty weight -12ish for 30 weight, and viscosity index 160ish, usually easy to find on a stat sheet. Then you can look for moly levels to separate yourself from the field, it seams to be the one additive that has not equaled itself out on the stat sheets, maybe boron as well. If you have a di turbo, you want low CA and high Mag.

But generally imo NO, what is good for hemi's isn't necessarily good for other engines. It seams to me you want high additives and possible higher viscosity in a hemi but in other engines you may not benefit as much so you might opt to gum up your cats faster and save some dollars as high additive formulas usually cost. Many manus attempt to make specific formulas for specific engines, or at least they used to, dexos specs and others have been so stringent there seams to be less specialized formulas these days. It seams like someone like you would benefit from going the uoa route, set your mind at ease on what oil is actually working the best in your vehicle.

+1
Burla knows his chit - trust him. Hemi's need band-aid oil to overcome weak valvetrain lubrication, is the bottom line here.