Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I probably should’ve mentioned this before.. my truck has not been running Red Line continously. The oil change prior to this, I had put in the same oil that my brother run in the Durango - Total Quartz 9000 5W30.
Quite possibly, my engine has become noisier because of that. I did run about 10,000kms on that oil before switching to the Motul 300V.

Anyways.. Don't think I'd be driving the truck for a while. Had a pretty sizable Fender bender. I got distracted with trying look at Google maps and "rammed" into the car in front. Wrote the thing off.
My truck on the other hand, well... see for yourself.
Fortunately, full cover for the insurance will help.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.11.47 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.11.47 (1).jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.11.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.11.47.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.11.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.11.48.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 10

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I probably should’ve mentioned this before.. my truck has not been running Red Line continously. The oil change prior to this, I had put in the same oil that my brother run in the Durango - Total Quartz 9000 5W30.
Quite possibly, my engine has become noisier because of that. I did run about 10,000kms on that oil before switching to the Motul 300V.

Anyways.. Don't think I'd be driving the truck for a while. Had a pretty sizable Fender bender. I got distracted with trying look at Google maps and "rammed" into the car in front. Wrote the thing off.
My truck on the other hand, well... see for yourself.
Fortunately, full cover for the insurance will help.
that sh it will buff right out:)

bummer man. If you had my bumper, you would have killed the guy, lol. Since it was you fault, mise well get another sport bumper.

did bags go off?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This thing is such a beast, I would have never bought it had I known. My bad, I bought one of these for a jeep, love it, arb. Nice and light but tough and reinnforced. This thing is a freaking godzilla, just too heavy, stupid weight. But yeah, if this was on your truck at worst you would have bent one of those bars a little. That piping is outrageous man, look at a chain link face bar and double it, that is what I have up there.

8347395005_420db4dc52_c.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This one is incredible, it is every bit as protective as the other one but about 1/2 the weight. Do your research if you will buy a bumper, for comparison the other bumper was fab fours. Your truck is too nice for a built bumper imo, but you can have one built to spec usually the same cost, allthough the rarely look at good or is as functional.

Attachments

• 5802185288_c9893e7fc5_c.jpg
    5802185288_c9893e7fc5_c.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This one is incredible, it is every bit as protective as the other one but about 1/2 the weight. Do your research if you will buy a bumper, for comparison the other bumper was fab fours. Your truck is too nice for a built bumper imo, but you can have one built to spec usually the same cost, allthough the rarely look at good or is as functional.

View attachment 472633
To answer your question, no the airbags didn't go off. For the size of the impact, you think that it should've.
I've seen the ARB bumpers. They are an amazing piece of kit. On the Jeep, it looks amazing. However whenever I see an ARB bumper on a pickup or SUV, I'm not too keen on the side profile. It just reminds me of one of the characters on Beavis and Butthead.
I like the ones put on the Patriot Games Ram 1500s. However I believe those are just custom.

Anyways, we can discuss about off road bumpers on another thread.

Coming back to the topic of the engine oil, I will say that the engine did sound a quieter. Perhaps it just my imagination but when the A/C is off and the radio is off and I'm just listening to the sound of the engine, it just sounds like the car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that sh it will buff right out:)
Are you sure? There is a crack on the windscreen. Not sure if the body has been deformed.
The crash was pretty bad. I totaled the other car. I'm just worried about the chassis being bent and the body begin deformed and stuff.
It really bothering me considering the lengths I go to in order to keep this thing as pristine as possible.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://youtu.be/IKdhgKUZhPA

In the interest of knowledge (honestly I really want to learn), I think that it would be a good idea to explain where this video above, went wrong in explaining engine oil ratings vs the videos below.

API Motor Oil Ratings - Summit

A quick guide to car engine oil

Amsoil - Understanding Oil Viscosity Ratings

Engine Oil Grades

After seeing these videos, I'm beginning to understand.. However I'm not quite certain how we know which one should we run in our engines depending on the temperatures. So oil that is good for hot weather should be 10W-30? And cold weather should be 0W-20 or 0W30?

Also, I'm not sure the videos explain oil stability and how do we understand which grades are more stable than others.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is what applies to other applications and what slaps us in the face. So when you have a 4 ****** toyota you can look through all of the flavors of ice cream and chat about it and buy the vanilla because it doesnt matter. But, if you run that vanilla in a hemi = clackity clackity clackity tickity tockity tok, and then you will curse the day.

Stable is a relative term, even unstable oils can be more protective then more stable oils. Example 5w20 is very stable, but 0w40 isn't, but even at the end of the interval the 0w40 will have higher cSt visc.

Silby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't really know. Honestly, I'm not confident on that.

So you think that Motul 300V 5W40 should be a good choice in keeping the HEMI tick away?
At this point, having experienced the HEMI tick, I'm interested in finding an oil that will prevent the tick from happening again, and prevent the tick from ever happening on a new vehicle.
Right now, as far as I know, only Redline 5W30 is the one that gives me that.

Unless there are users who have been using something like Amsoil or something else for years (without any additives) and never had the dreaded tick.

OK.. What direction is that?
I use Z Max in all 3 of my vehicles, and Walmart Supertech full synthetic. 2014 hemi Ram,2013 Chrysler 300 and 1992 Nissan SE-v6 with 239k and they are all quiet. I change at 5k except for the Nissan,which I do at 3k because it is my trapping truck.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought a new (new to me) truck recently.
After getting the truck, I did a complete fluid change and switched the truck over to Redline 5W30.
The service history revealed that the local dealer had used Mopar 5W20 for most of its life and after the 5 year mark, the previous owner had given it an oil change at various places with various oils being used (5W20 & 5W30). There was an extremely faint ticking sound that the mechanic was able to make out. Of course we knew the solution so there was no worry there.

Now the engine sounds so smooth and throaty. The truck has a Mopar intake and Borla exhaust.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-30 at 20.25.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-30 at 20.25.23.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 9

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bought a new (new to me) truck recently.
After getting the truck, I did a complete fluid change and switched the truck over to Redline 5W30.
The service history revealed that the local dealer had used Mopar 5W20 for most of its life and after the 5 year mark, the previous owner had given it an oil change at various places with various oils being used (5W20 & 5W30). There was an extremely faint ticking sound that the mechanic was able to make out. Of course we knew the solution so there was no worry there.

Now the engine sounds so smooth and throaty. The truck has a Mopar intake and Borla exhaust.
love the truck, begging to be murdered out.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2019 Ram Classic hemi. I have a large stash of Royal Purple, both 5w20 and 5w30 grades. I’m leaning toward the 5w30 after reading this forum entries. But, of course, 5w20 is recommended (but not required??)

Best suggestions from the group???

BTW, I’ll be using Royal Purple filters.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I just bought a 2019 Ram Classic hemi. I have a large stash of Royal Purple, both 5w20 and 5w30 grades. I’m leaning toward the 5w30 after reading this forum entries. But, of course, 5w20 is recommended (but not required??)

Best suggestions from the group???

BTW, I’ll be using Royal Purple filters.
I would lean towards the 5W-30 but also would not have any problem doing a 50/50 mix with the 5W-20 to use up what I have.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting….I would not have thought of mixing different weights. Wouldn’t the viscosity differences prohibit a complete blending of the two grades??

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Interesting….I would not have thought of mixing different weights. Wouldn’t the viscosity differences prohibit a complete blending of the two grades??

There is a viscosity range that each grade will fall in. Mixing, you will either had a heavy 20 weight grade or a light 30 weight grade oil. There is no such thing as a "25W" grade or similar when mixing different weight grade oils, just a range each will fall in.

Since they are the same manufacturer, highly probable the chemistry make up of each oil will be similar if not the same minus the viscosity modifiers that make up the particular weight grade of each. If different manufacturers and/or a different tiered oil within the same maker, I would not recommend mixing for long term use.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve read a few places that 5w20 is more stable than 5w30. Apparently this is required due to the thinner 20w. Hence, I think that something other than viscosity would be different between 5w20 and 5w30, possibly keeping the oils being compatible when mixed. Thoughts????