Synthetic oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The FSS was developed with Mercedes over 20 years ago. It didn't make it into many US Chrysler vehicles other than those that were manufactured in partner with Mercedes, like the Chrysler Crossfire. Mercedes stopped using it in the mid 2000s as well.

FCA vehicles use an algorithm based on engine and environmental conditions. There is no "digital oil quality dielectric sensor" in Rams for sure.

Interesting Letter to then-Daimler Chrysler CEO outlining some industry and Chrysler-centric oil [sludge] issues, including the FSS, from 14 years ago. Also for those interested, that site is a great resource for finding out if your make/model car has any open or closed lemon law info.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This might be a really dumb question, but is there any reason not to change oil sooner than recommended?

When you kill a Moose do you take the back strip and leave the rest? No there is no downside to changing it earlier but it is a real waste. I'm not exactly liberal in any way, but there is such a thing as being reasonable with resources. I can't see any situation where a synthetic oil wont give you perfect service for 5k miles in a Ram, even if you tow heavy. I also don't think that would be considered wasteful if you are on the heavy duty schedule. But the old 3k mile oil change, that is like killing a Moose and taking the back strip and feeding the crows with the rest imo.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just as a note. I changed my oil ( to redline:33:) at a 3,000 oci and never reset the OLM. Meow When I approached 3,000 ...MORE miles on the OLM (6,000 total on the OLM and 3,000 on the new redline oil) the oil life was at like 5% meow.

Meow I reset it and it jumped up to 100% and dropped down to about 80% in a few days.

I say these things are fairly accurate meow but not fool proof. .....

3BDBE87D-A329-49E3-B386-4E59D950D3EB.jpeg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as a note. I changed my oil ( to redline:33:) at a 3,000 oci and never reset the OLM. Meow When I approached 3,000 ...MORE miles on the OLM (6,000 total on the OLM and 3,000 on the new redline oil) the oil life was at like 5% meow.

Meow I reset it and it jumped up to 100% and dropped down to about 80% in a few days.

I say these things are fairly accurate meow but not fool proof. .....

View attachment 122664
I swear to God I'll pistol whip the next guy who says "Shenanigans."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobil 1 Extended Performance says up to 15k miles or 1 year.

I am trying to understand what you are saying. Are you saying some oils that claim they can go 10k miles cannot? Or that they all can, but there are ones that perform better? If the former, I will become nervous to trust any that didn't have third party testing done that I can read by trusted labs.
Part of what you're missing is that we're talking about Hemi's. In their test engines, under monitored conditions and regulated loads I'm sure that M1, Amsoil, and others that claim 1 year or X amount miles would live up to the hype. Hemi's are hard on oil to begin with, then you add mods, turbos, superchargers, turn up the boost, and or nitros, just makes it that much worse. Best bet is to run a good sythetic, monitor how it's doing in you're engine, and go from there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ramtruck16

Ramtruck16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info, i just like to make sure i use quality oil and i think synthetic will help make this hemi run smoother and last longer, especially if i tow with it, i think every bit helps.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at 800 miles. Perhaps a bit unnecessary, but like to get all that break in metal out of there, and start of synthetic early.

And 14.97 for 5 qts after the rebate is hard to beat on synthetic!!!

@ walmart.