Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would never consider adding any additive to Rl anything. Foolish for the reason's you stated. But, when my replacement truck comes in, I only have two MS choices. I will use PUP 0-40. Need to consider if one of the Liq Molly additives can make sense. My other vehicles are getting good results as expected on RL 5-30 and 10-40. Can not find Biogard. Keep getting a pool and spa additive when searching.
I think this is what you're looking for:

Lubegard 30901 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant, 15 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DKJWEG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9fFJBb49V6E7G

Did I miss something? Why are you getting a replacement truck??

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Years ago there was a guy that had a vw dune buggy running around town that had a sign on it " This Vehicle Runs on Water". He drove it around for a couple of years, was in several parades. Well, rumor has it he had a meeting with some guys that wanted to buy the patent. I say rumor because he disappeared, all hush hush, just gone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think this is the guy that ran out of the restaurant shouting "they poisoned me. " He died.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Years ago there was a guy that had a vw dune buggy running around town that had a sign on it " This Vehicle Runs on Water". He drove it around for a couple of years, was in several parades. Well, rumor has it he had a meeting with some guys that wanted to buy the patent. I say rumor because he disappeared, all hush hush, just gone.

Government likes us buying oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Damn man, well at least they're making good on it...
Will be more than pissed if replacement truck is not right. Ram that I trust claims that all of the 2500 6.4 out of Saltillio after 4/2018 have not had an exhaust leak issue. But you are right, FCA stepped up and did the right thing. They didn't like the monoxide sensor that we put on the dash.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just thinking all these brick and mortar stores saying they can't compete with Amazon or other mail order/ internet is a bunch of crap. They just aren't interested in keeping up with newer products. We've got a ton of STP, Lucas, hyperlube, and various other chemicals on the shelf that basically don't move at all. We used to have water wetter on the shelf, couldn't keep it on the shelf, sold it almost as soon as it came in, but now we don't stock it anymore. We can get it, but it's not on the shelf. Lubeguard, we have the transmission additive and LSD additive but not the engine additive. For the most part of you want the good stuff you have to order it from somewhere.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I was just thinking all these brick and mortar stores saying they can't compete with Amazon or other mail order/ internet is a bunch of crap. They just aren't interested in keeping up with newer products. We've got a ton of STP, Lucas, hyperlube, and various other chemicals on the shelf that basically don't move at all. We used to have water wetter on the shelf, couldn't keep it on the shelf, sold it almost as soon as it came in, but now we don't stock it anymore. We can get it, but it's not on the shelf. Lubeguard, we have the transmission additive and LSD additive but not the engine additive. For the most part of you want the good stuff you have to order it from somewhere.

That is a great point. Our NAPA store won't stock, but can order out of warehouse. The counter guys even say they are getting request and they run to the warehouse 6 times day. Whole jobber, fleet retail business is a mess right now. Missed business daily.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Let's evaluate biotechs claims versus voa for discussion. First the claims...

• Reduces oil and fuel consumption!
  • Optimizes engine horsepower and performance
  • Protects and extends oil life by 30%
  • Improves fuel economy by reducing friction in your engine
  • Reduces wear on metal components, thus increasing part life
  • Improves anti-friction and anti-wear properties of ALL major oil brands to meet requirements of ALL vehicles, including older and high performance models
  • Eliminates lifter and other objectionable noise on startup, especially in cold weather
  • Ensures smoother running engines
  • Reduces hot engine oil temperatures
  • Gives improvement in friction and wear performance over major brands of motor oil
  • Blends with ALL motor oils currently produced, including API; SJ, SJ/EC, CG- 4, CH-4, SE, SF, SG, SI, CC, CD, CE, SL, SD, SM, CF and SN motor oils
  • Helps reduce smoking by restoring flexibility to valve stem seals for improved sealing, also providing outstanding upper cylinder lubricity as it frees up sticking rings
  • Inhibits oxidation and extends engine oil life (see TFOUT test results below)
Now the voa...

Molybdenum / 1891
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9

What they say about the base and formula that wouldn't show up in traditional voa...

LUBEGARD® ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT contains Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology, the lubrication system of the future. Specifically formulated to minimize friction and wear, also to keep the oil cooler in today’s more complicated engines.

All modern engine oils contain a highly refined petroleum or synthetic base oil which is fortified with additives to meet motor oil performance specifications. Even so, dated specifications may not represent the level of performance needed by a new engine design. A new oil may not contain sufficient additives such as ANTI-WEAR agents or ANTI-CORROSION compounds even though it passes all the tests. Furthermore, these protective compounds are depleted when the oil is in service.

The solution to this protection gap is LUBEGARD ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT which supplements and enhances the effectiveness of the additive system already present in the oil. LUBEGARD replaces the depleted or insufficient additives and adds LXE® wear protectors and friction reducers which are unavailable in any oil. Minimum friction means maximum mileage; minimum wear means maximum service. In addition, LUBEGARD increases the thermal and oxidative stability of motor oil to prevent creation of sludge and deposits.

There is a need for improved oil additives for protection and mileage in view of the rapid technological changes in modern engine design. LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

They also use an atsm to prove one of thier claims. from their website

item7_chart1.jpg

Then they also did the Falex Pin and Vee Block test which we have discussed before. Esters and moly formulas exceed in this test, we've seen that with redline's numbers over the roof when compared to other oils. So my point on this was they chose the right test to show what their product can do. The formula is similar to redline's, like we said poor mans redline.

What I don't like they didn't give the values on the pin and vee block test, but the outcomes seam to be reasonable. And they were careful to avoid making their claims except with pin and vee block versus synthetic oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When I take in everything, it doesn't seam to me they are making outrageous claims. With that calcium and phos, definitely an oil extender, especially if added to conventional oil. The formula looks good, the claims are not crazy, remember we are trying to figure out answers to hemi tick, this product seams to be in the safe zone with many satisfied consumers. This product wont or likely wont stabilize shear, so maybe the 30% statement is short sided, it will combat acid longer and protect the zinc plate longer, but likely wont do anything to protect from the loss of viscosity from vii's in use, so I wouldn't have made that claim. But shear is not really a big worry imo, especially for guys running 5w30, but remember 5w20 anything is a very shear friendly weight of oil.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Let's evaluate biotechs claims versus voa for discussion. First the claims...

• Reduces oil and fuel consumption!
  • Optimizes engine horsepower and performance
  • Protects and extends oil life by 30%
  • Improves fuel economy by reducing friction in your engine
  • Reduces wear on metal components, thus increasing part life
  • Improves anti-friction and anti-wear properties of ALL major oil brands to meet requirements of ALL vehicles, including older and high performance models
  • Eliminates lifter and other objectionable noise on startup, especially in cold weather
  • Ensures smoother running engines
  • Reduces hot engine oil temperatures
  • Gives improvement in friction and wear performance over major brands of motor oil
  • Blends with ALL motor oils currently produced, including API; SJ, SJ/EC, CG- 4, CH-4, SE, SF, SG, SI, CC, CD, CE, SL, SD, SM, CF and SN motor oils
  • Helps reduce smoking by restoring flexibility to valve stem seals for improved sealing, also providing outstanding upper cylinder lubricity as it frees up sticking rings
  • Inhibits oxidation and extends engine oil life (see TFOUT test results below)
Now the voa...

Molybdenum / 1891
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9

What they say about the base and formula that wouldn't show up in traditional voa...

LUBEGARD® ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT contains Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology, the lubrication system of the future. Specifically formulated to minimize friction and wear, also to keep the oil cooler in today’s more complicated engines.

All modern engine oils contain a highly refined petroleum or synthetic base oil which is fortified with additives to meet motor oil performance specifications. Even so, dated specifications may not represent the level of performance needed by a new engine design. A new oil may not contain sufficient additives such as ANTI-WEAR agents or ANTI-CORROSION compounds even though it passes all the tests. Furthermore, these protective compounds are depleted when the oil is in service.

The solution to this protection gap is LUBEGARD ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT which supplements and enhances the effectiveness of the additive system already present in the oil. LUBEGARD replaces the depleted or insufficient additives and adds LXE® wear protectors and friction reducers which are unavailable in any oil. Minimum friction means maximum mileage; minimum wear means maximum service. In addition, LUBEGARD increases the thermal and oxidative stability of motor oil to prevent creation of sludge and deposits.

There is a need for improved oil additives for protection and mileage in view of the rapid technological changes in modern engine design. LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

They also use an atsm to prove one of thier claims. from their website

item7_chart1.jpg

Then they also did the Falex Pin and Vee Block test which we have discussed before. Esters and moly formulas exceed in this test, we've seen that with redline's numbers over the roof when compared to other oils. So my point on this was they chose the right test to show what their product can do. The formula is similar to redline's, like we said poor mans redline.

What I don't like they didn't give the values on the pin and vee block test, but the outcomes seam to be reasonable. And they were careful to avoid making their claims except with pin and vee block versus synthetic oil.
But I remember your warning on "wax" additives. Are you thinking that this additive with PUP 0-40 could make practical sense in a low mileage engine.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

That is a common theme. Old grease monkey mechanic wives tales from the 1950's through the 1980's would claim about some guy inventing a carburetor that would get 100+ MPG and the big oil companies would buy up the patents and squash the product. The problem is the patents if they ever existed, still would be public domain and searchable today but nobody ever has shown one to prove the original supposition claim.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
But I remember your warning on "wax" additives. Are you thinking that this additive with PUP 0-40 could make practical sense in a low mileage engine.

So the best lubricant ever was whale oil, I actually got my hands on some in the 80's and severely regret not buying more when I had the chance. I had a whiney power steering and I was hoping to add something to quiet it, and a small bottle of this stuff did just that. That car was smooth until I joined the Army and my friend bought my car.

So what Lubeguard has always tried to do is replicate whale oil, I imagine it comes from shell fish but admittedly do not know. Some shell fish were the closest thing to whale oil, but certainly is a harder thing to extract then simply killing a whale and taking thousands of gallons of oil simply by heating it. You can read about lubeguards waxy ester here, not the same thing as left over wax from the lack of refinement of conventional oil.

And I'm not sure even conventional oils have that much wax anymore, seams like they must have figured out stuff as we go. Wax is a desirable thing to have in blocks and worth money, I'm sure refiners continue their effort to extract what they can for market from the barrel of crude. Some of my opinions come from 20 years ago stuff I read on white papers that were probably old themselves. My info is as old as a dinosaur, yaw'll should be listening to someone else. My only trick was to use something from the old boutique oil wars that just so happen to work in hemi's. With the new specs if you follow specs it will hardly matter what oil you use if it is API. No need for a Burla.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a NAPA wholesaler discount, through our truck shop..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
as yall know i have had a slight hemi tick despite taking extremely good care of my one year old truck now that i put 40k miles on in that time. oil changes have been done for the first year via dealerhsip using pp5w20. last friday i changed the oil myself (oil change plan ran out), and i used M1's top synth 7 quarts 5w30 this time not 5w20 with a fram ultra oil filter and liquid moly additive. immediate difference in start up noise but still a slight tick. drove to the mountains and back (400 miles) and now the tick is gone. drove it twice and the hemi is silent.. im thrilled. smoother as well, and my oil temp usually sits at 218 and now it sits at 210-212. overly joyed. whoohooo

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as yall know i have had a slight hemi tick despite taking extremely good care of my one year old truck now that i put 40k miles on in that time. oil changes have been done for the first year via dealerhsip using pp5w20. last friday i changed the oil myself (oil change plan ran out), and i used M1's top synth 7 quarts 5w30 this time not 5w20 with a fram ultra oil filter and liquid moly additive. immediate difference in start up noise but still a slight tick. drove to the mountains and back (400 miles) and now the tick is gone. drove it twice and the hemi is silent.. im thrilled. smoother as well, and my oil temp usually sits at 218 and now it sits at 210-212. overly joyed. whoohooo

What part # Fram Ultra?

And which Mobil1? EP?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf