Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I totally understand what your saying but my 10.5 aam has the same shape continued on top to back by pinion.
Pictures please ??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just can't wait , as I've been wanting to install the Mag-Hyteck diff cover ....only because I tow often ...and sometimes hevier than I should with my little 1500 ..I just ( Imo ) don't tow hevier than I should often enough to constitute a 2500

Just get an SLT or tradesman 2500 gasser. They are LESS than a lot of 1500’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got to say I disagree. The shape of the cover absolutely has to do with how well the fluid follows the gear. That differential is shaped that way so the fluid makes a big circle over and over again and the whole time the rear cover and entire diff shape for that matter is acting like a “guide” for the fluid.

It’s no different than air flow dynamics. I make a lot of stuff that relate to the same principle a work ever day for air and water.

IMO.......IMO......

The guy in this video series is right. And in the end if he does show a product they sell with that same shape.....I would buy it over everything else if I wanted an aftermarket cover.

I agree

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sigh. Glad I kept my stock diff cover[emoji20]
Glad I haven't changed mine yet !!!!

I'm thinking the end results will be the OEM cover is either the best option or VERY close to the best ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have mostly Shell and Mobil near me. I find Mobil runs slightly better in my truck out of the two. However while going across the country and stopping at many different truck stops, my truck seemed to like Sunoco the best. Less detonation and slightly better mileage. I run 91/93 everywhere because I'm tuned...
Interesting ....I have all flavors in my area ...I choose Shell due to them always being busy and I see the tankers there more often than others ...oh and that here and other forums I've read SHELL GAS test in the top 2% across the country ...

For now it's shell 89 for my ram .
I'm not tuned , totally stock .

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Locker excluded

I know fo example blackstone labs does not feel synthetic performs better than conventional when looking at wear numbers.

But with gear oil there is the group that believes conventional is better than synthetic and I have never understood. Anybody know why they may think this?

I can see thicker oil‘s climbing better and staying with gears better but that’s also negative effect in the cold climates and we know that thicker oil’s resist heat better but once they’re hot it’s much harder to dispense the heat. Thinner oils heat up much faster but dispense heat much faster.

So why do some think conventional gear oil is better ?

Thoughts?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^Agree. Ordered 2 15oz Lubegard. Logic tells me that it mayl help, maybe pump up the PUP 0-40 in the 6.4.
I've never been an additive type guy ...I truely believe the best option is to just use a product that has all the good stuff in it's original blend right out if the bottle or can .......
I will also say I'm not totally against an additive that makes a great product better .
I do use RMI -25 in my coolant ... I also use S1 In my SHELL GAS....well that's for other reasons but you get what I'm saying .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think the only time you'd have a problem with it in you're oil is if you had a large buildup of carbon that you had cleaned out. Staying on top of it with TT gas and a routine for periodic treatments you should never have that buildup. JMO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I do tend to agree , top tier gas is good but a quality additive once in a while ...every 1500 miles or so is not a bad thing , ESPECIALLY if you do not have an Oil Catch Can on a HEMI 5.7L .....LIKE BBB ???
just so everyone here knows .

BBB = Big Bad Burla [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Howaboutcha. My friend ?
No OCC ....what the hell man ...LOL [emoji16][emoji16]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I do tend to agree , top tier gas is good but a quality additive once in a while ...every 1500 miles or so is not a bad thing , ESPECIALLY if you do not have an Oil Catch Can on a HEMI 5.7L .....LIKE BBB ???
just so everyone here knows .

BBB = Big Bad Burla [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Howaboutcha. My friend ?
No OCC ....what the hell man ...LOL [emoji16][emoji16]

You ready for the BBB to come at you bro?

Iv tried this one before. DONT DO IT!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You ready for the BBB to come at you bro?

Iv tried this one before. DONT DO IT!

I have been on the wrong end of the gun with my friend BBB Before sir ....hell I guess I'm just hard headed [emoji1303]

He and I have just agreed to disagree in the past. , With that said I have lots of repect for him ...even though he is ugly and post videos of himself [emoji16]
If he was as good lookin as me he would have a YouTube channel worth millions $$$

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have been on the wrong end of the gun with my friend BBB Before sir ....hell I guess I'm just hard headed [emoji1303]

He and I have just agreed to disagree in the past. , With that said I have lots of repect for him ...even though he is ugly and post videos of himself [emoji16]
If he was as good lookin as me he would have a YouTube channel worth millions $$$

I love this guy.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

This is BBB right now... *****

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if PUP is going through a formula change. I have never seen it this available with this many sales, I wonder if they are trying to run out of stock because they have the sn+ coming. Total guess on my part, but look at what Pennzoil says they have for sn+.

Does Pennzoil offer any motor oils that meet API SN PLUS?
Yes! The following Pennzoil products are all licensed by the American Petroleum Institute as complying with the specifications of the new API SN PLUS category: On May 1, 2018

So kind of weird their top of the line high detergent oil wouldn't have the sn+ option. I'm trying to think of why. Maybe they were just waiting for some reason?

A side note they recommend a lot of weights of PUP for the hemi spec.

OEM Specifications
Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Locker excluded

I know fo example blackstone labs does not feel synthetic performs better than conventional when looking at wear numbers.

But with gear oil there is the group that believes conventional is better than synthetic and I have never understood. Anybody know why they may think this?

I can see thicker oil‘s climbing better and staying with gears better but that’s also negative effect in the cold climates and we know that thicker oil’s resist heat better but once they’re hot it’s much harder to dispense the heat. Thinner oils heat up much faster but dispense heat much faster.

So why do some think conventional gear oil is better ?

Thoughts?

Old formula compatibility issues that are long since solved.

Synthetics are clearly superior in the extreme zone where temperatures, high loads or flammability are overriding factors. They also perform well in applications where needs are specific and complex. Synthetics are engineered to meet targeted performance benchmarks, and a synthetic formula can be (and probably has been) engineered for almost every combination of properties used in industry.

That was machibelube's take.

Mineral Oils
Many factors differentiate mineral oils from synthetic lubricants including what they can accomplish, their requirements for efficient functionality, and composition.

Naturally occurring crude is a cocktail of hydrocarbons. Even after aggressive solvent-based refining, thousands of hydrocarbon compounds - as well as organic compounds of oxygen, sulfur and nitrogen - remain.

These three compounds in particular are problematic because they enable oxidation and acid development, as well as facilitate the formation of sludge, particularly in high-temperature applications.

The varying molecules of refined lubricants also have differing shapes, resulting in irregular lubricant surfaces at the molecular level. These irregularities generate friction within the fluid itself which increases power requirements and reduces efficiency.

Gear Wear
The issue of gear wear is also a consideration. A study cited in Machinery Lubrication magazine1 implied synthetic lubricants make gears more efficient than mineral oils. A polyglycol showed the highest efficiency (18 percent more than the high-performing mineral oil).

Synthetic hydrocarbon (SHC) gear oil also increased the efficiency of the best gears by eight to nine percent. The performance of synthetic lubricants in food-grade applications in accordance with USDA-H1 food contact is also a benefit. Food-grade synthetics are sometimes believed to be inferior in performance to mineral oil lubes, a belief the study dispels.

Service Life
A popular topic concerning the difference between mineral oils and synthetic lubricants is service life. Synthetic lubricants as a class don't show their age, particularly at high temperatures, and have a longer service life.

Often, the change interval is several times longer for synthetics at identical operating temperatures; however, the exact number depends on operating conditions, the additives and the specific synthetic used.

Synthetic lubricants have a lower friction coefficient in a gearbox, better film strength and a better relationship between viscosity and temperature (viscosity index, VI). This indicates synthetic lubricants can be used at lower viscosity grades and lower temperatures. When this is the case, the gap between the service lives of minerals and synthetics significantly increases.

Related to the oil change interval is the issue of product loss through evaporation and disposal. Both sludge and residue form more readily with mineral oil products. Evaporative losses are lower for synthetics due to the lack of lighter hydrocarbon structures.

Disposal is more costly with some synthetics, but it is nowhere near enough to compensate for change-out intervals that are three to five times more frequent.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They mechanically heat the 8 speed and they call for a PAO based fluid. The new mechanically heated diff calls for regular synthetic gear fluid, if I was a betting man there will be more gear fails with the new rams then older 4 gens minus the recall issue.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Now! Let me guess: Gales company will be producing there own brand of Differential covers that are a far superior design compared to all these others @ 2X the $$$.

Let’s wait & see!

Even if he does, I gotta give the guy credit for making the case. Very few of these other aftermarket cover makers show the engineering or science behind what they sell.