Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the dealership--my Ram with 74K miles will be getting a new Cam Shaft, courtesy of Mopar extended warranty, thankfully. Apparently, the lifters are fine--which does strike me as odd. But, they went so far as to talk me out of paying for lifters out of pocket.

For inquiring minds; I've been running Redline 5w30 consistently for the last three changes or 15K miles. Prior to that I consistently ran Mobil1 or PYB 5w20 with a short infatuation with Amsoil 5w20.
I know they aren't flat tappets, but I'll be damned if I'd run old lifters on a new cam. No effing way.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Just got off the phone with the dealership--my Ram with 74K miles will be getting a new Cam Shaft, courtesy of Mopar extended warranty, thankfully. Apparently, the lifters are fine--which does strike me as odd. But, they went so far as to talk me out of paying for lifters out of pocket.

For inquiring minds; I've been running Redline 5w30 consistently for the last three changes or 15K miles. Prior to that I consistently ran Mobil1 or PYB 5w20 with a short infatuation with Amsoil 5w20.
Very strange that All the lifters are OK; not sure how you can tell if the cam needs to be replaced if you can’t see it. Either way, your getting an new cam on their dime.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

I'd pay out of pocket for new lifters. There is no way the cam is damaged and the rollers on the bottom of the lifters aren't toast. The cams dont just wear unless there is some issue with the lifters in the first place.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UOA on my trip to FL. I pushed the truck pretty hard on the way home it literally ran it from FL to MA towing the camper the entire way only stopping for gas and food. Pretty happy with this report.fd36977ab7cc0dc99da661a93af8b59f.jpg

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
UOA on my trip to FL. I pushed the truck pretty hard on the way home it literally ran it from FL to MA towing the camper the entire way only stopping for gas and food. Pretty happy with this report.fd36977ab7cc0dc99da661a93af8b59f.jpg
Doesn’t get any better than that! Absolutely Perfect.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew

sorry to hear about this. glad the dealer is taking care of you. if you dont mind, could you give us a little more background on your truck? are you original owner? when you switched to redline and the tick went away, did you have any signs of the cam starting to go? did you have any uoa done?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
reading about bad cams and lifters way too much lately. is there anything that can be done to show the state of the cams/lifters? will a uoa show anything? redline took my tick away, but as @xeriminox showed us, it isnt a guarantee to eliminate the possibility.

xeriminox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sorry to hear about this. glad the dealer is taking care of you. if you dont mind, could you give us a little more background on your truck? are you original owner? when you switched to redline and the tick went away, did you have any signs of the cam starting to go? did you have any uoa done?

I am the original owner but unfortunately never did a UOA. I suspect the damage was done prior to the switch to redline and switching simply bought me another “x” amount of time. This truck has never had any issues other than the occasional replaced manifold bolt. Its been a great truck and I plan to keep it going for a few more years and continue using it as it was intended.

My ram isnt a mall princess. It pulls a 7k lbs trailer approximately 7k miles a year through the Rocky Mountains and for an owner who isn’t necessarily easy on the throttle. It enjoys hot Texas summers and cold Montana winters. I use the remote start often and the truck does idle a fair bit on cold mornings. But, she has been very well maintained with oil changes every 3-5k mi, which I’m sure many will feel is overkill. My primary concern is that we are not left stranded some 20-hours from home on one of our trips. Thankfully, when she did let go it was within 20 miles of home.

Naturally, my wife and I discussed plans over the weekend regarding the future of our Ram. While we could easily justify a purchase of any new truck, we both agreed we would repair and continue to drive this Ram. We both love the comfort and performance and, ultimately, are confident in its reliability. It actually was a very short conversation...

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

you can do uoa's plus changing your own oil and looking for metal. Other then that there isnt anything any of us can do I think. He had 60k miles mosrly on conventional oil, I dunno if I would be doing that in out hemi's with as finicky as they seam to be. The real bad news is he ran high moly oil throughout. Was there a CEL? How did Cam fail?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Yet again!!

Another killer Redline UOA from Coey!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yet again!!

Another killer Redline UOA from Coey!!