Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@xeriminox what symptoms did you have that you need a new cam? CEL? Misfire?
Very interested in these answers .

Sucks to get a cam replaced , no way I wouldn't replace the lifters as well [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

xeriminox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@xeriminox what symptoms did you have that you need a new cam? CEL? Misfire?

I was cruising at about 70 mph and went to pass a slow car that pulled out from a side country road, as i accelerated around the car the truck stuttered and the CEL flashed intermittantly. After i got around the car, the truck seemed to struggle to keep speed and the CEL came on again. Within 5 minutes, the light was on solid and the engine was making a awful knocking / ticking. It was extremely loud. Ill see if i can upload a vid with the noise from when i got back to the house.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you know the code? Did it read misfire? I'd really put new lifters in bud. It sounds like something collapsed to me. I'd want to tear the cam and lifters apart at a minimum.

xeriminox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how on earth they are saying that is the cam by itself, lol.

I guess we will see how it plays out. I wish id pulled the code before i took it in, but i was kinda sick to my stomach at the time. My guess was a spun rod, based on the sound. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dunno, but yeah something collapsed. I guess you are saying bearing? We will see, I hope someone who knows what they are doing takes over.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess we will see how it plays out. I wish id pulled the code before i took it in, but i was kinda sick to my stomach at the time. My guess was a spun rod, based on the sound. Thoughts?

Yeah, new trucks are supposed to last more the 70k miles before they need to be rebuilt. Hopefully it gets fixed tight. From a syn thread point of view, I'm sure the guys would like to know if it is lifters and cam lob.

@xeriminox you were 5w30 the whole time?

xeriminox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, new trucks are supposed to last more the 70k miles before they need to be rebuilt. Hopefully it gets fixed tight. From a syn thread point of view, I'm sure the guys would like to know if it is lifters and cam lob.

@xeriminox you were 5w30 the whole time?

Switched to 5w30 when migrating to redline @ approx 58k miles.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
great info! so it sounds like it would be best to look for a 14 and older (you said '13 but did they change with the body style change for '15?) 6.2. so that would be denali or escalade. my only issue with this would be that i really wanted to go 4wd and not awd. awd was up until 15. just dont like factory awd systems as i like to control the vehicle, not deal with factory fuel cut off when spinning etc BS. this is for the wife however, so maybe awd is best. i would also rather pay a bit more for premium fuel vs cam and lifters if and when they go.

after having heated seats and steering wheel in my ram, i want it in whatever i buy.

The AWD system is amazing. Way better 4WD I had in the Ram. I have always liked AWD better especially on Ice.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
you can do uoa's plus changing your own oil and looking for metal. Other then that there isnt anything any of us can do I think. He had 60k miles mosrly on conventional oil, I dunno if I would be doing that in out hemi's with as finicky as they seam to be. The real bad news is he ran high moly oil throughout. Was there a CEL? How did Cam fail?

i guess thats where his story hits home a bit more than others. im at 73k miles. it has had dealer oil from new until i switched to RL. it did tick prior to redline. so who knows.....hopefully i can get a year or two out of it before having to fix it.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
The AWD system is amazing. Way better 4WD I had in the Ram. I have always liked AWD better especially on Ice.

good to know. i think im now narrowing it down to an 09 escalade or denali with the 6.2. from what i read, those motors started getting afm in 2010.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a link to a vid of my truck and how it sounded.

Sorry to hear this man, but thank you for posting it.
**** me, thats the sound i get intermittently on some warms starts, only lasts a second or 2 for me. Im at about 6800 miles. Im gonna start recording each start till i capture it. Guess i should throw a mopar filter back on before it goes to the dealer.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is a link to a vid of my truck and how it sounded.

Holy chit!!!! I would definitely be getting lifters as well. I’d also have them check the pistons and the heads. It sound like it dropped a valve

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30