Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by mcclintock89, Feb 7, 2013.

Oil of Choice

1. Castrol Syntec/Edge

127 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Royal Purple

207 vote(s)
    14.2%
  3. AMSOil

221 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Valvoline Synpower

80 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. Mobil 1

542 vote(s)
    37.3%
  6. Other

276 vote(s)
    19.0%
Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. tidefan1967

tidefan1967 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Here’s my grandpas it doesn’t look like anything at all like either one of y’all’s. Anyway thanks for your service and that of all the other vets out there.

BF1B8446-A10B-4F28-AA5C-E1E6DC392611.jpeg

R.L.K., U&A, Rampant and 3 others like this.
  2. Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Wow, I thought my ex pulled some shady shit, she didn't get into me that bad though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hemi395, Rampant and AFMoulton like this.
  3. Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    First delivery this morning was ram dealer. On the 8 speeds they do strictly a flush, no filter change. Parts guy says OEM filter and pan are 1 piece and they can't even get them. I have a hard time believing that, just what he said.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. GottaBeKD

GottaBeKD Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    They are correct. Filter and pan are one. Not everyone does... but I'd change the pan when changing the oil.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

R.L.K., AFMoulton and Burla like this.
  5. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yeah....that doesn't sound right....

R.L.K. and AFMoulton like this.
  6. Burla

Burla Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    The only additive I consider using is bg, so they have quality stuff. As for you specific product that process is what makes it work.

7. grizzstang

grizzstang Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Trans filters don't look like they filter a whole lot to me. I usually only do a pan drop every other service and focus more getting new fluid in there. I avoid a trans flush as that implies they are adding chemicals to clean and use a shop that does a trans fluid exchange. I just want the old out and the new in with no cleaning chemicals.

8. U&A

U&A Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 3500 SRW
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI

Sounds kind of like hassle I went through getting my water pump changed under warranty. One of the things they pulled on me was..

Phone calls were like,
    Still waiting for parts
    Still waiting for parts
    Still waiting for parts.

Over three weeks in I called the dealer in the town that I used to live in, it was only 30 minute drive away and they had the part on their shelf. I asked if they didn't have it how long would it take to get one....”2 days”

I immediately called Chrysler customer care (or whatever its called) and complained.

Within five minutes of finishing that phone call I got a call from my dealer saying the part was in.

Bunch of fucksticks....

I got the runn around frome them in so many ways it was like the twilight zone

R.L.K., Hemi395 and Burla like this.
  9. Rampant

Rampant Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    I never did use them. My parents had a life insurance account on me from birth with State Farm, so I stuck with them. I've checked rates at USAA and other companies over the years and have found a few marginally cheaper. I've had some expensive claims over the years (two Ducatis and a brand new '95 Mustang stolen, my house was hit by a hurricane in FL, and a bunch of other smaller comp stuff) They have never given me any shit or raised my rates after a claim, but I've never had an accident (that was my fault) and only two tickets in my life.

One of the Ducatis was very rare. They couldn't find a comparable one locally, so they found one in Long Beach, CA. They flew me out there (airfare, rental, hotel, food) just to look at it and after I approved, they bought it and had it shipped to my doorstep. You can't put a price on customer service like that.

I have dealt with USAA on the other end of insurance though. I had had my Dakota R/T for a couple months and a lady tapped my rear bumper at low speed. She used USAA. They met me a few days later in a bank parking lot. The appraiser looked at the damage and printed a check from his car on the spot. That was back in '00.

I did open a USAA savings account when I started truck shopping because I found many times you can get discounts on new cars just for being a member. I think I got $500 off my Ram because of it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

tidefan1967 and Fitz87gn like this.
  10. Fitz87gn

Fitz87gn Fitz

Ram Year:
    2003 1500 & 2018 2500
    Engine:
    5.7 & 6.4
    Agree w/AF. Just as a side bar. "soldiers and sailors relief act" Fed law. You have solid rights that protect you from this type of creditor behavior. That said, may be "getting out" makes more sense. USAA. In the past there was a time when they were a cost saving option for Vets. I have had them price compare my insurance policy's twice. They could not compete, save us any money over State farm.

Rampant likes this.