Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I cant figure why RP oil would look any different on psi, if you do I would try an oil change with a different oil and see if it changes.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, I’m thinking the filter or sending unit is the culprit….I hope. I will change to valvoline only because I’ve used it for 40 years.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Pretty complex topic.
Engines used to come with positive displacement oil pumps only. Now some are coming with variable displacement for minuscule fuel savings.

Anyway, positive displacement means constant oil flow rate up to the pressure that opens the filter's relief valve at a fixed rpm. Then it's variable flow above those pressures.
But the measured oil pressure is downstream somewhere in the engine, and I get confused what this means.
Most engine designers I knew said if oil pressure was 15 psi minimum anywhere in the engine in all environments, the engine is protected.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as i know oil viscosity shouldnt have an impact on oil pressure at highway speeds as the oil pump adjusrs to get 50-53 psi at highway speeds. Hope i got that right if not someone please correct me and call me a dumb a s s

My oil pressure at highway speeds are the same with pennzoil platinum 5w20, schaeffers 5w20, and mobil 1 euro 0w40 which is 50-53 psi. My hot idle oil pressure is where its different. Consistently 40-42 psi at hot idle with the 0w40 mobil 1 where as the 5w20 oils i was at 33-36 psi
Bout the same numbers I have on MY 19. Just had oil changed and gave Dealer a Fram Ultra Guard full synthetic filter (also full synthetic 5W 20 in motor), to use instead of low end Mopar, and those are my numbers, tho at idle I am more near 32-39, 50-53 when driving. 19K on Odometer.

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update…

I got a chance to work on my truck and decided to go back to square one. So, I changed the oil to pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20, a mopar 339 filter, and a new oem mopar oil pressure sending unit.

Oil pressure is 57 psi cold, 47-49 hot at 70 mph and 24-26 at hot idle. It exactly the numbers I had when I bought the truck. It’s not what a lot of folks have, but much better than the hot 39 psi at 75 mph I was getting.

I do believe it was the pressure sensor….the old one was actually green (brass nut) and I think the engine heat causes degradation of the sensor.

In fact, I went to the dealer for a
new sensor and they were out and on back order. The guy said it’s not all that uncommon for the to fail.

So I guess I’ll run the 5w20 until the next change and maybe go back to the royal purple 5w30 since I have lots in the garage.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Update…

I got a chance to work on my truck and decided to go back to square one. So, I changed the oil to pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20, a mopar 339 filter, and a new oem mopar oil pressure sending unit.

Oil pressure is 57 psi cold, 47-49 hot at 70 mph and 24-26 at hot idle. It exactly the numbers I had when I bought the truck. It’s not what a lot of folks have, but much better than the hot 39 psi at 75 mph I was getting.

I do believe it was the pressure sensor….the old one was actually green (brass nut) and I think the engine heat causes degradation of the sensor.

In fact, I went to the dealer for a
new sensor and they were out and on back order. The guy said it’s not all that uncommon for the to fail.

So I guess I’ll run the 5w20 until the next change and maybe go back to the royal purple 5w30 since I have lots in the garage.

If you only would have taken my suggestion and changed one thing at a time, you would have figured out exactly what it was. Now you're guessing again for who knows how long. I just don't get understand why you did that.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you only would have taken my suggestion and changed one thing at a time, you would have figured out exactly what it was. Now you're guessing again for who knows how long. I just don't get understand why you did that.
You know, I thought about your suggestion. But, if I changed the filter, and started the engine and saw no change, then I could change the oil but would have to change the filter a second time. You surely would not want me to put clean oil into a dirty filter. Then I would have to start the engine and see the results.
Then you wanted me to switch the sending unit as a third event, with fresh oil dribbling out of the sensor hole.

I just wanted to “get ‘er done”. I suspected the oil pressure sending unit all along. But, it was time for an oil and filter change anyway so I did it all at once. By changing the sensor with no oil in the engine, no oil dribbled out on to the floor for a big mess.

I can’t believe that Royal Purple oil would be the culprit, as thousands of people use it for years, including me. I seriously doubted that the RP filter was bad either, though it could have been. I did cut open the filter afterwards and found that all was good. Nothing broken and no sludge.

I also felt that if, after changing the oil, filter, and sensor all at one time that if the oil pressure was still low, it was going directly to the dealer….still under the power train warranty.

So, that’s my rationale, faulty though you might think it is.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You know, I thought about your suggestion. But, if I changed the filter, and started the engine and saw no change, then I could change the oil but would have to change the filter a second time. You surely would not want me to put clean oil into a dirty filter. Then I would have to start the engine and see the results.
Then you wanted me to switch the sending unit as a third event, with fresh oil dribbling out of the sensor hole.

I just wanted to “get ‘er done”. I suspected the oil pressure sending unit all along. But, it was time for an oil and filter change anyway so I did it all at once. By changing the sensor with no oil in the engine, no oil dribbled out on to the floor for a big mess.

I can’t believe that Royal Purple oil would be the culprit, as thousands of people use it for years, including me. I seriously doubted that the RP filter was bad either, though it could have been. I did cut open the filter afterwards and found that all was good. Nothing broken and no sludge.

I also felt that if, after changing the oil, filter, and sensor all at one time that if the oil pressure was still low, it was going directly to the dealer….still under the power train warranty.

So, that’s my rationale, faulty though you might think it is.

I do follow your reasoning but I personally still would have put "dirty" oil into a clean filter. A filter is 10 bucks and I wouldn't even blink at that. I had horrible startup rattle a few weeks ago which I tried to get rid of, first step was replacing the RP filter with a Fram even though the Fram is supposed to be less quality. It fixed my rattle and was well worth the cost to figure that out as now I know the next time it happens what to do about it instead of agonizing over the sound and dreaming up possible reasons for it (which I'm pretty good at doing ;) )

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get it. And you’re correct, it could have been the RP filter. I just wanted the problem corrected as I was afraid that real low oil pressure would be affecting my engine internals. So, the “shotgun” approach was to swap everything at once. That’s typically how I do everything.

My last truck had a brake issue and I thought that the master cylinder was going out….I changed it and all of the calipers just to make sure I fixed the issue. That forced me to bleed the entire system and there was never any more issues. I changed everything at the same time. Don’t know exactly which component was the culprit and didn’t care.

BTY, just to be sure, I’ll probably use oem filters or wix xp. Haha

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get it. And you’re correct, it could have been the RP filter. I just wanted the problem corrected as I was afraid that real low oil pressure would be affecting my engine internals. So, the “shotgun” approach was to swap everything at once. That’s typically how I do everything.

My last truck had a brake issue and I thought that the master cylinder was going out….I changed it and all of the calipers just to make sure I fixed the issue. That forced me to bleed the entire system and there was never any more issues. I changed everything at the same time. Don’t know exactly which component was the culprit and didn’t care.

BTY, just to be sure, I’ll probably use oem filters or wix xp. Haha
DO not care for the regular Mopar OEM Filter, friggin paper, not hold up well. I stick with FRAM UG usually as the WIX and RP's are usually not in town or sold out. The dealer does use Mopar 5W20 Full Synthetic, which is just PUP oil bought branded Mopar, works for me. I would have to buy on Amazon/Ebay and such Larger RP Filters as no one in town carries them or even has a order listing. Rural living, LOL. Dealer did not want to put on SRT filter, did not feel like arguing which is why I handed them the FRAM UG Synthetic Filter. I have found that the Mopar OEM drain back once filter gets some miles on it not work real well, and I get dry starts, which is why have FRAM UG in there. Just my experience, and IMHO. Me thinks the TX heat plays havoc with some things, especially when it gets to 110 degrees and does not go below like 88 at night. MAY be why I have (2) AC's on house. One on main, one on porch.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you mean the Fram XG10060 ?

That's what I usually use when Amsoil is out.
DUH, BOIRD BRAIN I is. It is a FRAM Ultra, the part number is as below: AMSOIL/WIX May be as Good. I use WIX on my Motorcycle.

FRAM ULTRA® SPIN-ON OIL FILTER​

XG10060​

fram 1.JPG

COMPETITOT LIST FROM FRAM:
CertifiedCPH10060
Champ XLPH48XL
FRAM PRO SYNTHETICFPS10060
MOBIL 1M1-113
MOBIL 1M1-113A
PENNZOILHPZ-167
PUROLATORL12222
PurolatorBOSSPBL12222
STP Extended LifeS10060XL
STP Max LifeS10060ML
TOUGH GUARDTG10060
WIX57060XP

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Forecast is below zero next week, complete with blasting wind and snow. Trans Siberia is awesome!

By all means - drive on up here!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forecast is below zero next week, complete with blasting wind and snow. Trans Siberia is awesome!

By all means - drive on up here!
TYVM for the invitation, but BOIRD must Respectfully Decline yer friendly invite.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7