Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The Pennzoil Ultra does indicate that it meets that Chrysler spec, however I'm pretty sure the owners manual says something like Chrysler "recommends" the use of a motor oil that meets MS6395, see oil filler cap for appropriate grade.
Recommends is different from required. If the the use of an oil that meets that spec is REQUIRED, per the owners manual, doesn't give you any wiggle room should there be any kind of an oil related issue. If "recommends" is the wording, as long as an API certified motor oil of the appropriate grade is used, I wouldn't worry.

As a side note Mobil 1 did in fact meet all Chrysler specs several years ago, when Mobil products were factory fill on a lot of Chrysler vehicles. Now that Fiat/Chrysler is in bed with Shell Oil rather than XOM, the Mobil 1 products stopped displaying Chrysler certs.

As a side not. A while ago at least a year or so, we were talking about how we think Chrysler has figured out the importance of Moly in oil for the hemi. The ones that are approved by Chrysler generally have higher Moly than other "on the shelf" oils.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Pennzoil Ultra does indicate that it meets that Chrysler spec, however I'm pretty sure the owners manual says something like Chrysler "recommends" the use of a motor oil that meets MS6395, see oil filler cap for appropriate grade.
Recommends is different from required. If the the use of an oil that meets that spec is REQUIRED, per the owners manual, doesn't give you any wiggle room should there be any kind of an oil related issue. If "recommends" is the wording, as long as an API certified motor oil of the appropriate grade is used, I wouldn't worry.

As a side note Mobil 1 did in fact meet all Chrysler specs several years ago, when Mobil products were factory fill on a lot of Chrysler vehicles. Now that Fiat/Chrysler is in bed with Shell Oil rather than XOM, the Mobil 1 products stopped displaying Chrysler certs.
The only Mobil oil that displays and according Mobil meets the ms6395 cert is their super syn and it might be only the 5/20. I would have thought if they were gonna blow off FCA they would have just dropped it period. The few people that I know that use the super syn complain of oil consumption.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Theoretically, by the book PP 5/20 should be the go to oil beings that PUP is not readily available. However PP 5/20 is not ACEA rated. That in itself may not mean much but the ACEA ratings have to do with HTHS capabilities. So are they recommending a crap oil? Or are they saying don't look at this over here, just do what we say? Personally I prefer a 5/30 ACEA rated oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are you trying to one up me ****?

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just trying to add to the comedy :favorites13:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PP does have this ACEA A1/B1-10, A1/B1-12 and ACEA A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12 (SAE 5W-30).

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PP does have this ACEA A1/B1-10, A1/B1-12 and ACEA A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12 (SAE 5W-30).
In the 5/30, not the 5/20

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manufacturer says it is acceptable to use 5w30 in 5.7 hemi.
I know, and I do, but how many take what that book says as gospel and won't run anything except 5/20.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
List of MS-6395 oils.

IMO the MS-6395 cert isn't what you have to worry about as far as warranty is concerned, its the API licensing. RL and Amsoil SS do not have the API donut although SS could easily pass API SN. I've stated this before, the dealer would have a harder time denying warranty work on a top tier oil than on a non API certified $1.29/qt oil you bought on craigslist.

Quite frankly at 4.5 years of ownership of my truck, I only have 6 months left of powertrain warranty anyway. Hell knowing my luck, my Hemi would grenade 1 day after the warranty expires anyway:emotions122:

The elephant in the room is, Amsoil puts their money where their mouth is for your grenaded motor if it was the fault of their oil. Who really has confidence in the factory warranty in that scenario, regardless of oil used? When you have the world's BEST synthetic oil manufacturer guarantee behind you, you're doubling your chances of recoupment, should that engine **** the bed. If you're not going to address the actual Hemi engineering flaw/faulty part(s) to begin with, any betting man would deal with a little tick and be guaranteed vs being "possibly" quiet-"er" with no written guarantee whatsoever.

Attachments

• New SS 5w30.jpg
    New SS 5w30.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 27

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Lets be clear, the " tick" is not a little thing when I can hear it while driving my truck when its coming from another truck on the other side of the parking lot. The tick is an engine killer.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The elephant in the room is, Amsoil puts their money where their mouth is for your grenaded motor if it was the fault of their oil. Who really has confidence in the factory warranty in that scenario, regardless of oil used? When you have the world's BEST synthetic oil manufacturer guarantee behind you, you're doubling your chances of recoupment, should that engine **** the bed. If you're not going to address the actual Hemi engineering flaw/faulty part(s) to begin with, any betting man would deal with a little tick and be guaranteed vs being "possibly" quiet-"er" with no written guarantee whatsoever.
If you read the fine print of Amsoils Warranty, it states that they will cover the cost of repairs if the failure is due to lack of lubrication while using their products. Then you have to prove through documentation that the failure occured directly from lack of lubrication. I can see that not being the easiest thing to prove. However seeing as Amsoil makes a fantastic oil, I doubt they have to cover many repairs due to lack of lubrication, which is why they offer the warranty.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you read the fine print of Amsoils Warranty, it states that they will cover the cost of repairs if the failure is due to lack of lubrication while using their products. Then you have to prove through documentation that the failure occured directly from lack of lubrication. I can see that not being the easiest thing to prove. However seeing as Amsoil makes a fantastic oil, I doubt they have to cover many repairs due to lack of lubrication, which is why they offer the warranty.

Yes, it is true you'd most likely have to jump through some hoops, but why would they be liable for anything other than their oil's performance anyway? It's kind of like saying "I don't pay for 'underinsured motorist' coverage, because I know the other guy's insurance is always going to cover everything." I'd much prefer to have another avenue to go down, rather than rely on the honesty and integrity of a stealership alone.

Another key piece is UOAs. No matter the oil you use. Just taking the time and spending the money to perform them shows you care about the motor and you're going above and beyond the scope of your responsibilities as an owner to ensure it's longevity. Any documented flags thrown and addressed as a result of UOA findings will go a long way in showing this as well. It's really a "floater" insurance policy for your motor.

If nothing else, Amsoil would be there to back their oil's performance, which would diminish that otherwise enormous variable to a moot point. I want the expert in my corner when the **** hits the fan. Regardless of whether they are there for me specifically or not, they will be there to stand behind their brand.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Lets be clear, the " tick" is not a little thing when I can hear it while driving my truck when its coming from another truck on the other side of the parking lot. The tick is an engine killer.

No oil would fix that.