Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But this is the SYNTHETIC oil thread!!! :)

Oddly enough, I hadnt even thought about straight PYB. Checking some of the latest VOAs it really does look like good stuff.

The thing is I can get Pennzoil Platinum (5W-20) or Pennzoil Ultra Plat (5W-30) for only a few bucks more than the conventional Pennzoil. Doesnt necessarily mean they are better, though.

I would go with the PUP over the PP.

I am running 4 PUP 5W-20 and 3 PUP 0W-40 (SRT Oil) for a blend that is a 3W-28. Switched over to this mix just under 3000 miles and I am creeping up on 5000 miles. My Hemi is nice and quiet so far.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would run straight 5W20 PUP but apparently its some sort of a unicorn. Amazon has it but even after rebate its not much less than just getting Redline.

I think once the time comes Ill go with PUP 5W-30 since I can find it, or who knows maybe PUP 5W-20 will be readily available by then (not holding my breath!)

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I've ran both PUP 5w20 and 5w30 in my last truck. 20 during the winter and 30 during the summer. Not an issue with either, truck was quiet except for the broken manifold bolts.

dthaggard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used 5W20 per what the manual states - full 7 quarts - no leaks - RP filter

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks man, I am finally breaking out of this funk I'm in. Needed someone to pick on I guess. Wife took the day off work today, moving all of our stuff back in. Redline back to the garage, but not for long, I aint procrastinating anymore.
Git er done BBB. , can't wait to see your UOA !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some weird stuff happened going up my freaking hill the other day, my truck lost gear. I don't know how this can happened with an auto and the th engaged. I have been a little out of it, and I was saying to myself why the hell did I put it in neutral in the middle of the hill, and looked down and everything looked normal on the evic. Gonna change fluids, I guess it is official I will have to drop the pan and just look for metal. Never had anything like this happen.
Might want to check the cable that goes to the transmission and make sure it's not binded up causing it to not fully go into the selected gear. It would still show the correct gear on the dash tho

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Might want to check the cable that goes to the transmission and make sure it's not binded up causing it to not fully go into the selected gear. It would still show the correct gear on the dash tho

when my fluid film gets in I'll get down there, thanks.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Some weird stuff happened going up my freaking hill the other day, my truck lost gear. I don't know how this can happened with an auto and the th engaged. I have been a little out of it, and I was saying to myself why the hell did I put it in neutral in the middle of the hill, and looked down and everything looked normal on the evic. Gonna change fluids, I guess it is official I will have to drop the pan and just look for metal. Never had anything like this happen.

If it only happens on a hill, it could just be low on fluid. If you're on an incline and the fluid level is a low, it could be that the pump can't scavenge enough fluid and loses line pressure. That would cause it to act as if it were in neutral. I've had it happen on a TH400. It may not be your problem, but worth a good look.

Checking transmission fluid properly is more involved than most people care to deal with. This is the procedure as/per Alldata:

FLUID LEVEL CHECK

Low fluid level can cause a variety of conditions because it allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. As in any hydraulic system, air bubbles make the fluid spongy, therefore, pressures will be low and build up slowly.

Improper filling can also raise the fluid level too high. When the transmssion has too much fluid, the geartrain churns up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with a low fluid level.

In either case, air bubbles can cause overheating and fluid oxidation, and varnishing. This can interfere with normal valve, clutch, and accumulator operation. Foaming can also result in fluid escaping from the transmission vent where it may be mistaken for a leak.

The transmission has a dipstick to check oil level. It is located on the right side of the engine. Be sure to wipe all dirt from dipstick handle before removing.

The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. At normal operating temperature (approximately 82°C. or 180°F), the fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the oil level indicator. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 21°C (70°F) fluid temperature.
NOTE:
Engine and Transmission should be at normal operating temperature before performing this procedure. After the fluid has been checked, seat the dipstick fully to seal out water and dirt.

Start engine and apply parking brake.
Shift the transmission into DRIVE for approximately 2 seconds.
Shift the transmission into REVERSE for approximately 2 seconds.
Shift the transmission into PARK.
Read the transmission temperature value.
Compare the fluid temperature value with the chart.
Adjust transmission fluid level shown on the dipstick according to the Transmission Fluid Temperature Chart. NOTE:
After adding any fluid to the transmission, wait a minimum of 2 minutes for the oil to fully drain from the fill tube into the transmission before rechecking the fluid level.

Check transmission for leaks.

Attachments

• Tranny Chk.pdf
    75.1 KB · Views: 67

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like Rampant said, make sure to check the fluid level in neutral, not park. The pump doesn't run while in park, only neutral and the drive gears.

Note this is for the RFE trans, not the 8 speeds.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes Sir , check the fluid while Hot and in N nutral for the 6 speeds

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Like Rampant said, make sure to check the fluid level in neutral, not park. The pump doesn't run while in park, only neutral and the drive gears.

Note this is for the RFE trans, not the 8 speeds.

Yes Sir , check the fluid while Hot and in N nutral for the 6 speeds

From Alldata:

Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate.

From owner's manual:

5. Place the gear selector momentarily into each gear position (allowing time for the transmission to fully engage in each position), ending with the transmission in PARK.
6. Remove the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it until seated.
7. Remove the dipstick again and note the fluid level on both sides. The fluid level reading is only valid if there is a solid coating of oil on both sides of the dipstick.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Anyone here anything else about the recent cam failure on this forum?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There's abother cam failure?

I swear i saw a post on this thread about another one. Havent looked back through the pages yet but it was within the past 3days that the post was made....i think.

Could be mistaken

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I am running 4 PUP 5W-20 and 3 PUP 0W-40 (SRT Oil) for a blend that is a 3W-28. Switched over to this mix just under 3000 miles and I am creeping up on 5000 miles. My Hemi is nice and quiet so far.

My mix is 5/2 with a Fram XG10060. I'll run it until March/April...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi