Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Royal Purple media, the left is the media and the right is the test patch after going through the RP media. Yeah, it doesn't get much better.

301218_30um_small.jpg

Some others fram toughguard.
tg5_30um_small.jpg

Wix
51060_30um.jpg

Motorcraft.
fl12a_30um_small.jpg

Amsoil
eao24_30um_small.jpg

K&N

hp3002_30um_small.jpg

fram extended guard

xg5_30um_small.jpg

Listen up all you Jack Wagons, if after reading that website you aren't getting RP or Amsoil ae filters, you are just plain wrong. Look at every test paper on the right, that is what goes through your engine. Royal Purple filters, aint nothing getting by the original filter. Sometimes we give good advice up here in this modest oil thread even before land breaking tests. These tests were 30ppm, they had to scrap the 5ppm testing, but a couple of filters including rp did get that tested. There is no way to judge filters against filters of they didn't complete that test, but at 30ppm, there is zero better then RP filters.

The biggest thing to take away from this, the synthetic filters actually filter better out of the gate then fresh paper filters, wow?? We know they were better long term, but now we know they kill it from the jump.

Adrian my second favorite person in the world today, close second behind all of the first responders who helped so many in the fires. After this, only a ******* would use paper filters, wth else do you need? Before now you had reason or beliefs that are acceptable, but now look at the writing on the wall.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone know if bypass oil filters can be used on a gas engine? I know they're meant for diesel engines but couldn't a gas engine benefit from one?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't take all the credit... someone posted the link on the jet boat forums, and I instantly thought of this thread.

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Great post thanks again for your contribution.

Reactions: U&A

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see the RP and Amsoil filters are better but
It can you explain it a little.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone know if bypass oil filters can be used on a gas engine? I know they're meant for diesel engines but couldn't a gas engine benefit from one?

People go to the expense on a diesel because you can actually go 100k miles plus on an oil change, I think there have even been some go way over that like 500k, the internet and TDR has those examples backed with uoa's. Because you have to change engine oil at 20k miles best case due to loss of tbn, most people don't deal with the expense because the replacement filters in the bypass kits cost a fortune. But yeah, you certainly can use one.

Trooper, I don't understand the question.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Trooper, the tester took 30ppm size substance and ran it through all of those various filters, then placed a test filter to catch what went through the branded filter, that is what would go through your engine. RP and Amsoil have near zero 30ppm particles go through the engine, all off the other filters, not so much. Still haven't looked through all of them, but you can bet I will.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is the photo of the entire test, um yes that is Royal Purple on top of the heap, even better then the Amsoil at a cheaper price. Look at Framxg killing third place.

comparison.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Note on Fram Extra guard, it is a blend and the blends did pretty good compared to just paper, m1 also did well, but of course the paper does degrade, where as the top two last years on an engine. Doing my 2 year oci with RP soon, can't wait to cut that open.

Royal Purple filters are to filters what Redline oil is to oil. Now, Fram XG looks like a reasonable choice for guys running an oil with a less then 10k interval imo, or maybe running any oil other then redline. I think Fram recommends that for a 5k mile interval. If you are gonna bother to run redline, it looks like that RP is a perfect fit.

They even heated the oil to operating temps and put it under pressure.

For the filtration testing, after each filter was disassembled and all measurements and construction was examined, the filtering media was cut into 70mm circles. These filtering media circles were saturated with heated oil and placed into a 70mm büchner filter funnel vacuum filtering setup. The filter funnel was placed and sealed on top of a thick walled vacuum filtering flask. The vacuum was provided by a vacuum pump which pulled an almost full vacuum (~14psi) which simulates the oil pressure of the engine, although its lower than what is typical for our setup (which typically runs between 20-50psi), but 14psi is still considered in the 'normal' range from GM, so it does provide an accurate comparison. The test oil was heated to between 90-99 degrees Celsius, which is approximately full engine operating temperature, and 100mL amounts were mixed with approx .250g of contaminant and mixed well. This mixture was then filtered through the oil filter media circles, this filtered oil was collected and re-filtered again through a separate 90mm büchner filter funnel using a standardized 90mm fine lab filter paper which filters 98% at 2.5µm. The excess oil was filtered through the testing filter paper and then photographed next to the correlating 70mm filter media circles using a fixed normal lens (35mm f1.8 lens on a 1.5x crop sensor Nikon D90 DSLR).

The contaminant that was used was a standardized spherical aluminum powder of 30µm diameter. This 30µm powder was weighed on a scale accurate to 0.002g. The top 2 performing filters with the 30µm contaminant were then tested again in the same manner using another unused 70mm filtering circle and a 5µm spherical aluminum powder.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id be interested to see that test done on the Fram Ultra. If you hit just the right sale at Advance Auto you can get that filter down to $5.00 each.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I used nothing but fram TG and M1 in my old 4.0 JGC. 5k OCI and over 200k miles on it. Engine was still spotless inside when I dropped the pan and pulled the valve cover. Now, the 42RE transmission was another story.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Funny, the guy grades m1 and xg better then RP because of cost, he gives RP an F on cost. But hey, you friggin get what you pay for. Not only that, this test does nothing about longevity, which we know the spun microglass kills it. I would have liked to see the wix xp and fram ultra tested, but at the same time, I've seen enough. RP can't be better, what I've been saying is true, that thick loose media really filters good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I used nothing but fram TG and M1 in my old 4.0 JGC. 5k OCI and over 200k miles on it. Engine was still spotless inside when I dropped the pan and pulled the valve cover. Now, the 42RE transmission was another story.

Get an inline filter, you can use any brand filter you want that butts to the plate you choose.

13090.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny, the guy grades m1 and xg better then RP because of cost, he gives RP an F on cost. But hey, you friggin get what you pay for. Not only that, this test does nothing about longevity, which we know the spun microglass kills it. I would have liked to see the wix xp and fram ultra tested, but at the same time, I've seen enough. RP can't be better, what I've been saying is true, that thick loose media really filters good.

This is true.

Honestly the way I drive is "severe" (85-90% stop and go), but I put so few miles on my vehicles (about 5K per YEAR) that Ill probably go with PYB 5W-30 and the XG filter. Pretty sure that combo can last 6 months of even "severe" duty of about 3K miles.

And in his defense, he does show the link as a "value based overview". Most of the public associates cost with value more than anything else, so he isn't technically wrong. Some of us just know that actual value takes into account things other than just cost.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
VOA of QSUD 5W-30 (Green Bottle Dexos 1 Gen 2 Formula TBN 9.3) from October 2017. It is not one I did but one that was posted elsewhere that I stumbled upon.

Thoughts?

picture.php

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
VOA of QSUD 5W-30 from October 2017. It is not one I did but one that was posted elsewhere that I stumbled upon.

Thoughts?

picture.php

Nice!

But! There are 2 types floating around, from my understanding.

If you happened to get in on the recent Advance Auto clearance, you'd end up with gold bottle QSUD for $8.45/5 qts (yes, about 1.70 per quart). I have 2 of the 5 quart jugs at my house right now.

The VOA from above, I think, is from the current green bottle. Not sure if anything is different between them, but it should be known that its possibly a different formula in the green vs gold bottle.

It would be ironic and just my luck that the 2 jugs I have are better for a Hemi than the newer green bottles, because they were the last 2 that I could find anywhere near me.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice!

But! There are 2 types floating around, from my understanding.

If you happened to get in on the recent Advance Auto clearance, you'd end up with gold bottle QSUD for $8.45/5 qts (yes, about 1.70 per quart). I have 2 of the 5 quart jugs at my house right now.

The VOA from above, I think, is from the current green bottle. Not sure if anything is different between them, but it should be known that its possibly a different formula in the green vs gold bottle.

It would be ironic and just my luck that the 2 jugs I have are better for a Hemi than the newer green bottles, because they were the last 2 that I could find anywhere near me.

It is from the Green Bottle QSUD according to the original post and I added that info to my original post. Thanks!

Last edited: