Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't know if it is Mobil 1 or not but I used it in everything I owned. And since I switched to redline my snowmobile runs a lot quieter, there is no more tick in the hemi, my 19400mkle neon doesn't use any oil any more (used to be a quart every 3000 miles with M1 now it hasn't used any at 10000 miles), and my lawn tractor doesn't smoke at start up anymore. I did switch my wife's truck too but it ran good before the switch and runs the same now. Only think I noticed there is that if I put in crap gas the engine light comes on until I put good gas back in.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone is wondering what the inside of the newer Mopar filter looks like compared to the RP 10-48:uploadfromtaptalk1442529198741.jpg I took more pics but for some reason they didn't save.

The Mopar filter is definitely good. Still pliable after 4500 miles and decent construction. The RP is a nicer filter through. The media has less pleating but feels and looks superior as its a synthetic media. The anti drainback valve on the RP is silicone and a little more flexible than the Mopar one. Not having access to a cutoff wheel made getting into the RP filter not fun as the shell is much thicker than the Mopar filter.

After looking at both of these filters, I would say the Mopar filter is a good filter but personally I wouldn't run it more than 5-7000 miles. The RP filter is probably good for much longer. If you're going to run a synthetic for an extended interval, I would definitely recommend the RP filter over the Mopar. If you're going to run dino, can't go wrong with a Mopar filter.

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Pennzoil Platinum I used had the sediment in the bottom of the jug. I contacted Pennzoil about it and got a quick response. I then sent the URL for the you tube video showing it in the bottom of the jug. I explained the one I had was a manufacture date of June 15. Only a month or so old when I changed oil and there was sediment all around the inside bottom of the jug. He said he would not worry about that amount and that was atypical of the current product. My thought is if some of it falls out what is saying more will not fall out and end up in the bottom of the oil pan. I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about that situation. I wonder if PYB has the same thing.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Pennzoil Platinum I used had the sediment in the bottom of the jug. I contacted Pennzoil about it and got a quick response. I then sent the URL for the you tube video showing it in the bottom of the jug. I explained the one I had was a manufacture date of June 15. Only a month or so old when I changed oil and there was sediment all around the inside bottom of the jug. He said he would not worry about that amount and that was atypical of the current product. My thought is if some of it falls out what is saying more will not fall out and end up in the bottom of the oil pan. I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about that situation. I wonder if PYB has the same thing.
I've seen that in a 5 quart jug of PP before too. I have yet to see it in a 5 quart jug of PYB tho

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Mobil 1 is what I usually use mostly for the availability. I've heard great things about royal purple and amsoil but I'm not really sure they're cost effective compared to Mobil 1. I'm alright with changing the more economical oil a little more often versus leaving the pricey stuff in there just to feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it lol I was raised on intervals of 3k on the car, 2k on the farm truck and 100 engine hrs on the equipment, hard to sleep without worrying about it even though I know it's supposed to be better.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Mobil 1 is what I usually use mostly for the availability. I've heard great things about royal purple and amsoil but I'm not really sure they're cost effective compared to Mobil 1. I'm alright with changing the more economical oil a little more often versus leaving the pricey stuff in there just to feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it lol I was raised on intervals of 3k on the car, 2k on the farm truck and 100 engine hrs on the equipment, hard to sleep without worrying about it even though I know it's supposed to be better.

raise you right,imo.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla is Sad, sigh.

It will be much worse syn, the API will soon cert water and we will all be remember the days when we used to use oil.

Last edited:

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Kinda off topic but get this. My mother in law just got a new car and I picked up her old 2004 concord lxi. Long story short I had some redline at home so I checked on the filter number. With luck it's the same as my ram. Now the fun. She has always went to the quick lube and when I crawled under the car the filter that was on it was no bigger than the one on my sled. They were saving at least a quart+ of oil per oil change by using a way smaller filter.

As if we all don't know. Trust no one!

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Burla, my recent oil analysis using pennzoil ultra:

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Burla, my recent oil analysis using pennzoil ultra:
Those wear metals are pretty normal for most UOAs I've seen on Hemi's.

There's quite a bit of Moly in that UOA, I'm assuming you ran Redline at one point and its left over from that?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So a lot of things going on with that UOA, number one great oil there, almost 10k miles and it can easily go another 5k miles. I would push it farther next time, say 13k at least. It appears this oil is showing less wear then your old oil, but because your truck is right where oil wear starts to stabilize a bit, maybe that doesn't tell the whole story. The younger engines have more wear showing, and much of it carries over as you don't change out all of the wear metals, so some numbers are coming from earlier changes. One could go a cheap oil wash out change, I did with walmart oil and just ran it a little while and swapped out. Maybe a waste of 18 bucks, but it will give me more accurate wear numbers in my young engine as well.

One thing is those numbers seam a little high even for a Hemi, if it was me and it is because I didn't like my numbers either, I would be switching to 5w30. I'm doing a 2 year interval right now, in Feb I will be sticking with 5w30. In theory, you will gain film strength from the move and wear can possibly come down. I have been guilty if breathing too much in young UOA's, but I think your truck is leaving the "new" engine zone and entering a time where the wear numbers should be going down assuming all variable are the same, like oil filter choice, oil choice, driving habits, pcv working, etc. So because you are at that level, that wear does concern me.

If that was a Redline switch to PUP, looks like a good change for your truck, and a very valuable UOA for the forum. Thanks for posting. I am committed to Redline for my next change, but this UOA really makes me consider my choice for the change after that. PUP may be in Burla's truck in the future for sure.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had him take it down, it had all of his personal info on it. When you use Blackstone labs you should ask them to not put your info on the sheet, or cut it out when you post.

The bottom line he had 3 UOA's, the last UOA was PUP and was much better in wear numbers then the other 2 uoa even with a 10k interval. The wear was still high, but much better, and the weight was 5w20, I'm sure he'll repost with personal info edited out.

Reactions: SyN

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I posted my UOA I used Adobe to make an image file and then edited my personal info out in MS Paint...

CapeRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just changed my oil with Amsoil OE 5w 20 and a Napa Gold filter and I gotta say it's running pretty quiet. I like it and it's pretty cheap to boot as far as synthetics go.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lucas

Has anyone tried Lucas synthetic motor oil. any reason not to oil guru's who know more then I