Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is an interesting article. My suggestion don't pre mix a lot of gas for your 2 stroke stuff, and when you have gas stored at the one year mark put it in the truck and go get new gas. As far as our fuel tanks in our trucks, we should be running the tanks real low every once in a while? Have a gallon or 2 on board just in case when doing so.
Has anyone tried tru fuel? Premixed premium, no Ethanol, synthetic 2 Stoke oil.
It's expensive so if you use alot of 2 Stoke mix it wouldn't be fiesable, but I don't use that much. I had to fire the chain saw up this morning, it's been sitting for 5 years, not started, last gas run thru it was regular pump gas with generic 2 stroke oil and a couple ounces of Lucas ethanol treatment. I figured I'd spend half the day getting that thing running but I dumped out the little bit of old gas that was in it and filled it up with tru fuel and 4th or 5th pull she fired right up. It surprised the hell out of me. Had my sawing done in no time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's expensive so if you use alot of 2 Stoke mix it wouldn't be fiesable, but I don't use that much. I had to fire the chain saw up this morning, it's been sitting for 5 years, not started, last gas run thru it was regular pump gas with generic 2 stroke oil and a couple ounces of Lucas ethanol treatment. I figured I'd spend half the day getting that thing running but I dumped out the little bit of old gas that was in it and filled it up with tru fuel and 4th or 5th pull she fired right up. It surprised the hell out of me. Had my sawing done in no time.

I use it all the time. yes, its expensive, but I too use so little pre-mix through the season, it pays just to buy a gallon and be done with it.

Oddly enough, a local Walmart was clearancing their non-pre-mix ethanol free for 5.00/gallon. Bought 4 jugs and use some for running out my 4 strokes and some for the 2 strokes pre-mix (convenient to just add a bottle of oil right to the gallon can)

If I had easy access to ethanol free fuel I would just buy a gallon or two from there, but no such luck. Maybe at a nearby marina, but Im pretty sure they are charging a premium there, probably more expensive than a gallon of TruFuel.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think the link suggests there is no magic bullet when it comes to persevering gas, especially with the addition of ethanol.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I buy my yard tractor gas 15 gallons at a time, just regular pump gas and I always add the opropriate amount of lucas fuel treatment and ethanol treatment to each can. I always have at least 10 gallons on hand over the winter in case I have to break out the generator. I've never had any issues with that gas, however I just don't use enough 2 Stoke to mix up a gallon. The last 2 Stoke I mixed was going dead after 3 years so I just run it out in my lawn tractor and been using the tru fuel ever since.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kinda new to this generator thing, the few times I've used mine I've just put extension cords thru the window and plugged in the fridge, a couple of lights, coffee pot, microwave, and TV. For our limited outages that has surfised so far. My brother in law back feeds his house but I'm not comfortable with that. Been thinking about getting my house wired for the generator but not sure my generator is big enough for all that, it only a 5500 watt. I'd at least like to be able to run my well pump plus the fridge and a few lights.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

I buy these three or four cans at the beginning of spring from tractor supply I will use nothing but this product in my chainsaw weedeater blower!

0C5EA273-FC8E-4D35-9190-1BBE8B07FAF6.jpeg

Years ago I thought I was so cool by mixing my own two-stroke oil but come to find out my chainsaw and weedeater never ran worth a ****.
My neighbor told me about this product & I started using it & to this day they still run like brand new.
This is amazing product just pour and forget about it. I recommend this to anybody.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
All my 2-strokes get shell 93 with amsoil saber tested to 100:1. I do 50:1. When i run out of amsoil they will get redline. I pre-mix at the station and buy in small 1-2 gallon increments. If the pre-mix gas get over 1 month old it gets thinned out in my gas cans for my 4-stroke equipment, push mower, zero turn, generator, power washer, snow blower, tiller, weed eater.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kinda new to this generator thing, the few times I've used mine I've just put extension cords thru the window and plugged in the fridge, a couple of lights, coffee pot, microwave, and TV. For our limited outages that has surfised so far. My brother in law back feeds his house but I'm not comfortable with that. Been thinking about getting my house wired for the generator but not sure my generator is big enough for all that, it only a 5500 watt. I'd at least like to be able to run my well pump plus the fridge and a few lights.

Well pumps are tough, they "require" 30-40A. Current draw is only that high for the brief time it has to start running but you still need to size/plan for it.

I have a large portable gas-powered generator (we didnt have natural gas at the time). I purchased a Reliant generator panel sized for my generator (8000w continuous, 10000w surge). Came with a power inlet box that I mounted outside and the panel which I mounted inside. It basically sits between mains power and the generator inlet. You can switch each circuit from mains to off to genset.

They have different size panels for different size generators, or you could oversize but make sure not to use more than your gen can provide.

Anything larger than 8Kw and Id be thinking about an automatic transfer switch, which will basically feed your panel directly from your generator once the power goes out. They work best with auto-start generators (i.e. whole house, permanently installed).

Another option is a generator breaker and a main panel lockout setup - the breaker is sized for how much power your generator provides, and is then installed in the upper spot of your panel. A lockout bracket prevents the generator breaker from being turned on while the main breaker is on. To use the generator, you would turn off the main breaker, turn on the generator breaker and power the panel.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on a expense Vs reward issue with this. In the last 18 years our power has only been down twice for an extended period of time, once for about 8 hours and once for 3 days. Usually once or twice a year it will go down for an hour or two but those ain't bad to deal with. I'd love to have a generac whole house deal but just can't justify the expense plus id have to get an LP tank, natural gas not available.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My favorite part of the link mt. BBB posted is this\/\/

“One final note: If you want to check the stability of your existing fuel, place a small glass jar of the fuel in a bucket of ice water for one hour. Though minor haze is not grounds for rejection, any free water hints of trouble in the spring.”

Glad i have been using sta-bil. Thanks for the link BBB

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another option is a generator breaker and a main panel lockout setup - the breaker is sized for how much power your generator provides, and is then installed in the upper spot of your panel. A lockout bracket prevents the generator breaker from being turned on while the main breaker is on. To use the generator, you would turn off the main breaker, turn on the generator breaker and power the panel.

This is the setup I have. Powers the whole house and makes it impossible to backfeed the grid

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm on a expense Vs reward issue with this. In the last 18 years our power has only been down twice for an extended period of time, once for about 8 hours and once for 3 days. Usually once or twice a year it will go down for an hour or two but those ain't bad to deal with. I'd love to have a generac whole house deal but just can't justify the expense plus id have to get an LP tank, natural gas not available.

I priced this out and for my house which has a 200amp service it was going to cost $8000+ for a generac 10kw natural gas unit. Can only image how much more it would be for a propane tank and propane.

My generator was $1000 and having my electrician wire it in was another $300. Yes I have to feed it gas every 8 hours or so but $1300 was much better than $8000!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I priced this out and for my house which has a 200amp service it was going to cost $8000+ for a generac 10kw natural gas unit. Can only image how much more it would be for a propane tank and propane.

My generator was $1000 and having my electrician wire it in was another $300. Yes I have to feed it gas every 8 hours or so but $1300 was much better than $8000!

These is what I will be doing to mine this spring.
I have 2 panels in my house and a line out to my shop with its own panel, we are going to feed back through the panel in my shop to the one panel in my house that will run most everything in my house.
Just a easy cheap way to do it for the few times we might loose power.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Talking about 2 strokes, I don't need to repost the DA engine guy right? Didn't think so, carry on. Those pre-mixed fuels are like 30 dollars a gallon, so would you pay 30 dollars for a gallon of gas in your car? Gas is 3 bucks a gallon and add ester based 2 stroke oil at about another 60 cents and you have a great fuel at 1,000% cheaper. Less then a dollar for the same quart you just paid 7 bucks plus for. It isn't that hard to pour 32 ounces into a jug and drop the appropriate oil in. Each container has idiot lines, so only a fool miss the right mix. I only have done that once or twice :)

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Talking about 2 strokes, I don't need to repost the DA engine guy right? Didn't think so, carry on. Those pre-mixed fuels are like 30 dollars a gallon, so would you pay 30 dollars for a gallon of gas in your car? Gas is 3 bucks a gallon and add ester based 2 stroke oil at about another 60 cents and you have a great fuel at 1,000% cheaper. Less then a dollar for the same quart you just paid 7 bucks plus for. It isn't that hard to pour 32 ounces into a jug and drop the appropriate oil in. Each container has idiot lines, so only a fool miss the right mix. I only have done that once or twice :)
Well, you're only partially right, it's only $20 a gallon. I buy it in the qt cans because I only use 1 1/2 to 2 Qts a year. Maybe a little more this year since I filled up the chainsaw.

Reactions: SyN

btbpreston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, RP, Lucas and some brand I had never heard of were the only synthetic and only Castrol dino and nothing else..
kinda sad the choices they had, then the local Napa was closed..
My local O'Reilly's was the same for what they had on the shelf. Their website showed they carried the Mobile 1 gear oil so I asked the guy at the counter. They ended up having cases of M1 in the back, not sure why they weren't putting it out on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I wonder why that is. well it lost them a sale and has me wondering if I will even go back when I can buy on line cheaper and get it in 2 days.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
These is what I will be doing to mine this spring.
I have 2 panels in my house and a line out to my shop with its own panel, we are going to feed back through the panel in my shop to the one panel in my house that will run most everything in my house.
Just a easy cheap way to do it for the few times we might loose power.
Exactly what we did. Back Feed through the box in the garage to power all necessities

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder why that is. well it lost them a sale and has me wondering if I will even go back when I can buy on line cheaper and get it in 2 days.
I can't speak for orielys but at my store we only have 4 Qts of M1 75/90, 4 Qts M1 75/140 on the shelf. Whenever a commercial customer orders gear oil it's usually either 3 or 4 qt's and by company policy we pull it off the shelf instead of getting it out of backstock. I would think it would be more beneficial to pull our commercial orders from backstock first before going to the shelf, but that's just me, what do I know. And only a management type can pull backstock to refill shelf, and you can imagine how frequently that happens.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Syn,

You had said that the diesel world loves ceratec. Have you seen a UOA before and after comparison showing lower wear numbers of iron or aluminum? That additive has always sparked my interest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334