Tailgate I wish the new Rams had . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know there has been speculation on a new tailgate for the trucks, and I was happy to see the new retractable step option in the rear on the 2019 Rams, I wish it went a little further:
This looks like an awesome tailgate on the new Sierra's. Watch til the end, the half-up position I think would be pretty sweet for 2x4 and plywood hauling.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/01...gate-carbonpro-bed/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder how long the handle bezel will stay on the tailgate? I know everyone has seen a Chevrolet and they don't have that bezel! LOL

Notice he didn't actually walk into the bed - it looks like it's still a chore.

I don't know... it's cool.. I'd like to see/play with it in person. Not a deal breaker.. meaning I'm buying one.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
funny how Chevy had commercials making fun of Ford's "man step" when they first came out with it, but now they are doing a step as well... Personally, I loved the step in my F150 and F250 when I had them. great idea for old men like myself...

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Better video of it. I'm interested.

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
that is about the silliest thing I have ever seen. there IS such a thing as over-engineering something. its a tailgate. its already a work surface, you can slide a cooler across it, and you can prop items on it.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
that is about the silliest thing I have ever seen. there IS such a thing as over-engineering something. its a tailgate. its already a work surface, you can slide a cooler across it, and you can prop items on it.
I kinda agree. It’s overkill. Redirect those engineers to fix the front of the truck. The **** is butt ugly.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And how expensive is that going to be when it gets rear ended haha. So over complicated.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The tailgate is a bit too complicated to me. I'd prefer the barn door that the ram prototype had. Rest of the truck though I really like.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks pretty ugly. Hate the angled fenders. Tailgate I'd take but considering i haul 2x4's like once a year I don't really care

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If multi-function tailgate concept takes off, aftermarket could easily produce and sell these.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here is the thing, no one has ever had issues hauling some 2x4's in their bed before. Not to mention the steeper angle of them sitting on top of a fully closed tailgate will ensure they aren't flying out of the truck. I get that automobile companies need to "invent issues to solve" in order to try and come up with new innovative ideas but let's just leave some things be haha. The composite bed material is certainly an interesting idea, but time will tell how that works... anyone remember Ford's great idea for reducing weight?

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless the carbon fiber bed is absolutely indestructible, don't much see the point in it, especially on a Denali which will most likely never haul a pebble let alone a cement block. 62# weight savings off the front end would be nice, but off the back end, don't know about that.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I could see this tailgate becoming a disaster after a few years for someone who often loads snowmobile's/atv's

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
Gotta say, that's a cool! Most everything else, I prefer the 2019 Ram Sport but I cannot deny I really like that tailgate.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not a fan of the rest of the truck (though I agree the carbon fiber bed is interesting, but needs to be field tested with some concrete blocks)
As a slightly shorter guy (5'7") I like the idea of not reaching over the tailgate to grab stuff. I do think the barn door approach in the sketches would be better / simpler, but I can appreciate the engineering that went into designing a solution that works on a number of levels (step, better bed access, bed extender, etc.) I think the flip up bed extender is actually pretty cool, especially on my shorter 6'4 bed. I'd love to see some aftermarket solutions, but I have never found any good ones and I don't know that this will spur that on really.
And yes I agree this would be ridiculous to replace if you get rear ended!