Tailgate I wish the new Rams had . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I could see this tailgate becoming a disaster after a few years for someone who often loads snowmobile's/atv's

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yup... cool idea until it all becomes loose and leaky after a few years of being beat around by work or bumpy roads... A LOT of failure points there.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a great idea.. Only available on short bed Denali's.. So the top line truck, least likely to ever see "working" conditions, has the tail gate you'd need or want to utilize for work. All it really needs is the Honda Ridgeline barn door/flip down style which I've used and they're awesome. The other thing Honda does well, the in bed lockable trunk with spare tire. Its also full composite, not sure how durable that would be in a full size truck, but its not metal at all. Swinging gate or standard opening gate. Those drop down steps feel like your going to break them off and are very flimsy. Although I rarely have anything in the box of my trucks I don't really care about any features. Lol

163_0604_11z_06toty_%2B2006_honda_ridgeline%2Bbed_cargo_trunk.jpg

honda-ridgeline-2011_i02.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Its a great idea.. Only available on short bed Denali's.. So the top line truck, least likely to ever see "working" conditions, has the tail gate you'd need or want to utilize for work. All it really needs is the Honda Ridgeline barn door/flip down style which I've used and they're awesome. The other thing Honda does well, the in bed lockable trunk with spare tire. Its also full composite, not sure how durable that would be in a full size truck, but its not metal at all. Swinging gate or standard opening gate. Those drop down steps feel like your going to break them off and are very flimsy. Although I rarely have anything in the box of my trucks I don't really care about any features. Lol

163_0604_11z_06toty_%2B2006_honda_ridgeline%2Bbed_cargo_trunk.jpg

honda-ridgeline-2011_i02.jpg

You lost me at Honda Ridgeline.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I kinda agree. It’s overkill. Redirect those engineers to fix the front of the truck. The **** is butt ugly.

Or redirect them to fix their crappy electrical systems or to stop using raw steel for fuel & brake lines.

I had gone the GM route before, a ‘00 Blazer then an ‘05 Tahoe, I will never own another GM vehicle. I know Ma Mopar doesn’t always do the smartest things, but GM engineering is just plain asinine.

idrive

Reaction score
Ram Year
not yet
Engine
soon
It's not a "carbon fiber" material. It's some sort of infused plastic, not carbon fiber.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You lost me at Honda Ridgeline.

I wasn't speaking about the truck overall I was talking directly in terms of bed functionality. For some reason a company that really doesn't build "trucks" has gone far in maximizing the space outback and accessibility. Kinda strange the mainstream "truck builders" couldn't come up with it.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read the posts about how this will break or be expensive to repair from use...i am curious how many people use a Denali for a work site.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I read the posts about how this will break or be expensive to repair from use...i am curious how many people use a Denali for a work site.

Had several Denali s over the years... all work trucks. I personally buy a truck to do things, not to be a pavement/garage princess.. nothing wrong with having something nice for work.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Honestly that in bed storage on the Ridgeline probably wouldn't work on a full size truck. A Ridgeline is a lifestyle vehicle that caters to a niche group of people looking for something that can do very light hauling work, and still get decent gas mileage. To me they're a minivan with a small truck bed on them.

blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The bed storage in the ridgeline would work for me. I work for an electrician and use my own truck.
Carry quit a bit of supplies, that would fit it that space. would save me time of unloading when I need the truck for personal use

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bed storage in the ridgeline would work for me. I work for an electrician and use my own truck.
Carry quit a bit of supplies, that would fit it that space. would save me time of unloading when I need the truck for personal use

And its weather tight and locks with the vehicle doors... Also the spare tire and jack assembly are held in there dry and easy to access. Ever since Honda came out with this, I've always thought.. finally someone designed a better bed/spare/storage in a truck.. Although the Ridgelines are shallower in the box, the new full size trucks F150-Ram-Chevy have all been making deeper boxes/tallers sides past few years. I think they could figure a way to adopt this.. Or a form of it.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Storing the spare tire enclosed like that might not be so good if your truck bed isn't empty. $0.02