Tailgate is to tall to open when hauling my trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With my trailer hooked up, I can't open my tailgate all the way because it hits the crank on the trailer. This wasn't a problem on my dak. I need the ball to be about 3 or 4 inches back to give good clearance. The only reason I care is I carry my dog back there and don't want him to have to wait until I unhook to get out. Will getting a longer hitch cause problems?

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
should note that using an extender will drop your tongue weight capacity by 50%. Curt makes dual length ball mounts such as this in case there's times you'd wanna be shorter

Code106

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a more involved option if you know how to weld and fabricate steel, would be to move the jack on the trailer back a couple inches, but that would require a lot of work. especially if there is a lot of stuff up near the jack.

what kind of trailer is it? is it a flatbed toyhauler, Camper, enclosed trailer? Does it have batteries, propane tanks, or spare tire up front? and how heavy is the trailer?

if its a light trailer they make jacks that mount onto the side of the frame of the trailer that swivel. i did this option to my small pop up camper and it worked great. but if its a bigger camper then probably wouldn't be possible due to the weight.

another option is to get an after market tailgate like the fifth wheel trucks have with a bump out removed in the middle. or get an after market tailgate that is light weight and removable, like the aluminum cage style ones.

Or you could get a lift, and raise the truck up farther than the trailer and get a ladder. :)

hope some of these options help.

OP
OP
J

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its a Nash 19B travel trailer w/tanks and batteries up front. I'm thinking a slightly longer hitch is the best option. I'll go by an RV place today and see what they come up with.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
What about a power tongue jack?

I have the same problem and planning on resolving with a power jack.

OP
OP
J

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its going to be a little mor expensive than the curt hitch. I need the drop ball and sway bars. The hitch I'm using now is 10 years old so its problem time.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
See what he says. I haven't used one yet.. but i figured there can't be too many negatives with them.

RamRodRic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
like code106 said, the 5th wheel tailgate is a good option... but imho, only if you don't plan on or already have a bed cover. power jack is mounted in the same place as a manual type so would still interfere (ask me how i know).
can you kennel the dog and put it in the trailer?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got any pics? That must be a really short tongue to be interfering like that. No room to move the jack back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still on the road. Its a pretty short tongue. Its got two batteries, and two tanks at the front of the trailer. I only need about two more inches of clearance, and since my equalizer hitch is now 9 years old, and showing its age, I think I'll look for something a little beefier. We like being able to lock stuff up in the back, so I'm thinking the 5th wheel gate won't work.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
like code106 said, the 5th wheel tailgate is a good option... but imho, only if you don't plan on or already have a bed cover. power jack is mounted in the same place as a manual type so would still interfere (ask me how i know).
can you kennel the dog and put it in the trailer?

I should have clarified.. The issue, for me, is the crank arm.. not the jack itself.

So if i had a power jack, it would remove the crank arm/handle, and my issue would be resolved. I think i just simply assumed the OP had the same issue.

I already have one little ding near my tailgate handle from the crank handle :(

OP
OP
J

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll have to look at it the next time I hook up, but the gate actually hits the crank arm, but right at the top where it connects to the jack. The electric cranks I have seen are big enough that I think it would still hit. I do have a cap, and do like to lock stuff up in the back, so the 5th Wheel gate won't work. I might be able to rework the way the jack is mounted. I only need about two more inches of clearance. For now, this is just a PITA I'll have to live with.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a power jack on my TT and still can't open the gate on my 2014 2500. It's close but won't go. It's nothing more than a minor annoyance for me. I never thought about the dog aspect which would suck for sure.

OP
OP
J

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My local RV shop can get this longer shank hitch for $176+tax, or I can get it on line for about $140 including shipping. Either way, it's probably worth it not just for the dog, but for being able to get in and out of the back the the truck while hooked up. As far as I can tell having the extra long shank doesn't reduce the hitch weight rating, but I will call Equalizer and verify before buying. My trailer weighs 4600 lbs dry.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
I would verify that, just to make sure. I know extensions and such reduce capabilities, but this is different. Would be curious what they say.. If no impact on towing, i'll buy a longer one also.