Tandem or Single with Brakes for resale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new cargo trailer. I'm deciding between a ProLine 6x10 tandem or a Neo or ATC 6x12. All of them will be full aluminum. This will be my first trailer that i've purchased, ive towed a couple owned by others. Basically i'm looking at a cost difference of $4200 for 6x12 single axle with brakes up to $5600 tandem with 10 never adjust brakes on the ProLine. Build quality seems to favor the ProLine but by how much i'm not sure. i guess i'm wondering if it makes sense to go tandem with brakes thinking that in the future if I need or want to sell this will hold it's value better? I've read that the tandem will tow smoother as well. either way both trailers are more than what I need. I build farm tables on the side for some cash and will be using this to deliver them. At most i'll have maybe 500 -750 lbs inside the trailer. possibly more if I keep my riding mower in there as well.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On a 12' a single axle should be plenty depending on the axle in it and the tires on it. A 10' with tandem actually seems silly to me. That said, I had a 8X14 with tandem and it towed a lot nicer than a 6X10 single I rented to move furniture. If your loads are fairly light and you're not going cross country the extra 2' should come in handy. Pull a 12' single axle equipment trailer with a single 7000 lb axle, good trailer radials and surge brakes once in a while including a 3600km trip across Canada and it was barely noticeable.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you share pictures of the tables you build? I like seeing hand crafted goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like tandem axles myself, just because they tow better especially at speed.

Resale will be a bit higher on the tandem as well.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a 12' a single axle should be plenty depending on the axle in it and the tires on it. A 10' with tandem actually seems silly to me. That said, I had a 8X14 with tandem and it towed a lot nicer than a 6X10 single I rented to move furniture. If your loads are fairly light and you're not going cross country the extra 2' should come in handy. Pull a 12' single axle equipment trailer with a single 7000 lb axle, good trailer radials and surge brakes once in a while including a 3600km trip across Canada and it was barely noticeable.
Thanks for the reply, the ProLine V measures at 3' so in reality the trailer is 13' long plus the tongue so it's nearly 16' long. And I will admit that I'm a little more concerned about a blow out while traveling.. So the extra axle gives me peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wow... those are beautiful! Like you said tandem would be over kill but I much prefer pulling a tandem over single. By the time you figure in the extra maintenance on two axles you really are not going to get that much more money if you decide to sell. Tires wear out much faster on the tandems & that's another axle to be greasing. The better ride & knowing I have a little more trailer than I need has always swayed me. With just about anything I buy, if I can afford it, I go for the item that is just a little above what I need. Having an item below the specs of what you need (especially with trailers) can make for a very disappointing situation.
Again those are really nice tables!

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you very much! I enjoy making those on my time off, a little extra money doesn't hurt either. I agree, i would much prefer to have too much than too little and i'm thinking for less than $1000 between a tandem and single that makes sense over the course of many years. Thanks for the input.

adboyd06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Nice craftsmanship. I would definitely go with the larger, tandem axle with brakes. Tandem axle trailers tow so much better, forward and reverse plus you never know when you may need the extra space.

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L
We bought a 10' single axle box trailer used to move, then sold it. It was a nice trailer, but bounced and slammed around like crazy when empty. If I was buying new to use regularly, I would buy a tandem axle because they tow nicer. My tandem axle 18' flatbed tows much nicer loaded or empty. Also, brakes are nice.