that four letter word

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PettyBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you live where it snows then you know what that word is (rust) i take reallly good care of my truck but i have rust on my bed side i washed it yesterday and found its now forming on the other side now i notice that alot of the 3rd gen trucks do this so is this a factory problem and how may of you have had this happen to u?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I think you will find any vehicle will have this problem in the snow areas where they salt the roads

DeputyDipShizz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2006 and have bubbles on the drivers side of the bed on the wheel well lip as well...Going to sand it down eventually and POR15 it and add flares to hide it...A **** move I guess but a body shop quoted me nearly $800 to fix it right

***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

OP
OP
PettyBlue

PettyBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think you will find any vehicle will have this problem in the snow areas where they salt the roads

i had other trucks before the ram and none of them did it its coming from the inside out

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Sorry to here this. If you want it to last a long time you'll have to park it in the winter. It snows here too but i am Luckey its a Dry climate and not Humid like in the "East". No heat ever required to remove any Fasteners on the vehicles and exhaust systems lasts For 10 years plus and no undercoating/Oiling required.

I have seen some 02 models though with this problem and it is a susceptable area.

Will a set of Power Wagon or Bushwackers cover it up? as you could fix it yourself but the only good cure is to cut out the cancer and take it from there. Once repaired some inner coating will help too.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Butch used the S word i tried to Avoid!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i had other trucks before the ram and none of them did it its coming from the inside out

Do you have the rear wheel well liners?

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 02 and the rear of my truck is filled with bubbles and rust. I haven't taken it to the body shop for a quote yet and judging by the price you mentioned I'm not sure I will. I thought about flares but I'm not sure if it will cover it all.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rust sucks. Dodge seems to always have this issue. Not sure why they can't figure it out. But let's not hate on Snow. Ski hill got 7" fresh yesterday, and it's snowing again! This afternoon is going to ROCK!

Brought to you by Carl's Jr

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I had some surface rust on the rockers and aroun the wheel wells from rock chips and it being a work truck. I ground it off primered paint and bedliner the rockers and put flares on to cover the miss matched paint around the wheel wells
One day the bed wil come off and get por15 under neath along with the frame

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
In my 2002, both wheel wells, and the bed, under the doors was rusting bad, a guy i know owns a body shop, i gave him 1000, he repainted the bed. cut out and welded new metal under the doors and wheel wells and other things. That was worth the money, to me atleast.

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I have a 2006 and have bubbles on the drivers side of the bed on the wheel well lip as well...Going to sand it down eventually and POR15 it and add flares to hide it...A **** move I guess but a body shop quoted me nearly $800 to fix it right

***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

^this

POR15 is awsome
just coat the whole problem area on the fender not just where its rusting
ill be doing this in the spring along with lots of rust inhibitor paint for the frame and every thing else under the truck and bed liner on rockers and doors

Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
POR is good stuff if you caugh it soon enough as Deputy mentioned. I was able to stop the rust at the bottom of the tailgate The other thing you have do is get the salt off as soon as possible. Below freezing the metal will oxidize very slowly, but above 32, it just starts eating the metal.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a couple fairly small rust bubbles on the tailgate of my 05 yesterday, nothing on the fenders yet though. Pretty good so far considering it sits out all year and is driven in the winter.

ramminsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RAM 2500
Engine
HEMI
I had the same issue on my'04. Body shop wanted way too much to fix it so I did it myself which didn't come out half bad. I sanded it all down and put rust converter on it, body filler, primer and paint. I had Bushwacker Extend-a Fenders already painted to match my truck and ready to go after I was done with my body work just to hide my imperfections. I also installed the inner wheel well liners at the same time.