The 360la Updo Project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Dukes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i have an 83' W150. It has a 76' Chrysler Cordoba 360la in it. I'd like to keep the engine for the time being but i want more power. What are some good modifications worth while for this engine? I dont plan on keeping it forever. May put it in a mopar build down the line. The engine has roughly 80k miles on it and a new summit carb, other than that (as far as i know) its stock. Thanks all.

OP
OP
Dan Dukes

Dan Dukes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a great picture but this is it. Im in the process of building it up some. Got a lot of work ahead of me.

20180423_064859.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you could throw a cam in it but i don't think there is really a ton of bolt on parts that will really effect performance

OP
OP
Dan Dukes

Dan Dukes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would a set of heads and headers do anything you think? If not, what would be a good engine and trans swap for this truck thatd bolt in without any major modification?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a set of later model magnum heads on it - aftermarket.
IMO the small port heads would probably work better than the larger EQ style port heads.
The EQ heads can be bought for the LA intake pattern though where the small port heads would need the intake manifold bolts modified or a magnum style carb intake.
Or even a late model but pre-magnum swirl port head would probably be a boost.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
some new aftermarket head would definitely help but if you are going to swap in a different engine in the future it is almost a waist. you can stick a 360 magnum engine in there. the better design of the magnum heads help the create more power. don't even waist money sticking magnum head on a LA engine. it is cheaper and easy to just get a complete magnum engine plus then it is not a complete Frankenstein of engine which can cause all sorts of issues. you could also stick a hemi in there. hemi's are starting to be a pretty common swap to replace 318's or 360's. as far as transmissions go the 46rh's are a pretty good trans but i think you would need a newer transfer case and driveshafts to work with it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It isn't too bad to do the magnum top end, guys do it all the time on muscle cars.

A complete 5.9 wouldn't be a bad idea, but I think you need different motor mounts and maybe a flex plate to do it. Not sure what else off hand.
But he would gain, lighter pistons, roller cam, serpentine belt - if going this way, I would try to find a complete setup, alternator and all.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
guys don't do it all the time anymore. people only use to do it for the performance upgrade years ago when magnum engines were not as common. it would cost nearly as much to stick magnum head on an la engine as it would to just buy a 360 magnum.

all v8 magnum engines have the same motor mounts brackets as the 360LA. all 360's are externally balanced so if you are replacing a 318 it is usually easy to use one of the newer balanced flex plates.

the serpentine setup is definitely the better route to go since you get access to all the newer parts including larger output alternators that are available for the magnum engines. plus it is generally easier to find parts for then since the magnum engines are still more common these days.

OP
OP
Dan Dukes

Dan Dukes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I dont think a Hemi is in the books for me. From what ive read, it requires a bit of added electronics. The magnum seems like a decent idea but gas mileage would be horrible. Not that it isnt now.. I guess ill just keep the old la thats in it. Im just wanting to make it have a but more oomph. The thing is a slug and idk what to do to make it a little more powerful. Ill take to mind the suggestions thusfar and look forward to more. Thanks.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a 360 magnum might help fuel economy a bit. they got better designed heads than th LA engines which is why thy have quite a bit more power than the old engine. the better designed heads also might help fuel economy since they bumped up the compression ratio of the 360's a bit. the biggest thing to help fuel economy would be getting a 46RH for it. that extra gear makes a huge difference on any highway driving you would do.

ya a hemi swap it definitely more involved and would require more electronics but it would definitely help the fuel mileage

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only drawback to the complete engine is you are almost guaranteed to get cracked heads, granted the cracks most often aren't fatal. Aftermarket heads are $500-600 a pair.

What is so hard for the magnum topend upgrade?
You use Magnum head bolts
You use an aftermarket lifter for a MOPAR (the ones you buy over counter already are oil through)
You use 7.625-7.650 hollow pushrods ($48 at Summit)
You use stock Magnum rockers
You open the pushrod holes a little in the heads
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0308-adding-magnum-to-a-360-short-block/

He could always just go with a mid to late 80's 318 head ( the 302's) too, they are swirl heads. I think they would be a bolt on but not sure if they are worth it. Would need a small port intake though, if his has larger ports.

I didn't realize the 70's LA had the same engine mount brackets as the magnum - more of a big block guy until I had a 5.9 in my 01 dakota.

I wish you could convince my 16 hemi w/8 speed that the hemi was more fuel efficient than the 5.9 - almost identical to my 01 5.9 dakota and there is only a #500 weight difference between them.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
but you would have to buy the same heads even if you were to convert them so cost of heads is really a bit irreverent.

i know people who have done the swap and regretted it. they ended up burning through cams. they kept wiping out cam lobes after the swap.

all the magnum engines have the old la motor mounts ears on them. i am guessing it was mainly because they were sticking them in the 1st gens and vans for the first couple of years before switching to the 2nd gens and it was likely more cost effective to just leave the ears on the motor for la mount.

look how much larger and taller the front end on the new trucks are compared to the old ones. the old trucks may be like a brick on wheels but the new trucks are almost like a cinder block on wheels. as far as fuel mileage goes my 93 gets about 2-4mpg better than my 81. almost anything fuel injected gets better fuel mileage than carb.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree on the carb vs. FI, fuel injection is much more precise.

I wonder if the cam issues are due to the newer oil, non-roller motors just have a hard time breaking in and living with the newer oils in the stores. Changing the lifters is back to cam break in. Most oils just don't have enough ZDDP

Or since most of the replacement newer lifters are made in China, if the quality of those has really gone down hill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963