The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by nukeman, Dec 21, 2013.

1. 67Guzzler

67Guzzler Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Fantastic! You did well to get the 4.10 rear. I've had mine since 12/28 (a little over a week) after having 6 straight Cummins trucks dating back to 1994. I have to admit I love the 6.4L HEMI more than I expected. It's very fast stoplight to stoplight. Sucks gas like no tomorrow but I think that will get a LITTLE better.

Enjoy!!!

-Guzzler

2. LDBagger17

LDBagger17 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I agree, I had 4 dodge cummins trucks prior to my 6.4 hemi 4.10, I have now. This truck does everything I need it to, just differently. With the additional input, maintenance, and repair cost I chose the Hemi. Also I have a lot of customers and friends with diesels they all think gas sucks but when they compare fuel milage they start to question themselves. Fuel mileage on my Hemi is almost always within 1 1/2 mpg of there diesels under similar conditions.

15BlueStreak and River19 like this.
  3. jbplumbing

jbplumbing Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    just picked up my 6.4 and i love it so far! '14 SLT, crew cab short bed, black, backup cam, uconnect, options ive never had, dont need, but i dig it! bought with 40k miles, 7 year certified, and brand new 18s and tires off a 2017. once i figure out how to post a picture i will. wheres everyone getting these nice deals like the guy a page or so ago? after seeing a few $ amounts i realize new england trucks are expensive!

Bigdaddy and SwollenMonkey16 like this.
  4. 15BlueStreak

15BlueStreak Senior Member

Ram Year:
    N/A
    Engine:
    N/A
    I am seeing a lot more gas heavy duty trucks on the road lately. Dare i say it but almost 1:1. I travel all over the northwest side of Ohio for work. Also at the cleveland rv show a couple weeks ago there was a strong showing of people in their gas towing rigs. I was really thinking of trading for a diesel but in all reality our hemi pulls our camper great and this camper right now is about as big as we will ever go. Next camper will most likely be a smaller unit easier to swing into campgrounds. 37.5ft bumper pull can get long in some places.

5. MN-Ram

MN-Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    It's not quite 1:1 around here, but it's getting close. I see a lot of 6.4's running around the twin cities area.

6. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    I purchased my 17 tradesman 2500 4x4, 6.4 on 12/30/16. So far i love it. I've been breaking it in easy and have about 110 miles on it so far. I can tell she's got a lot of juice to say the least.

I don't miss the 2015 Silverado 4x4 5.3 i traded one bit!

67Guzzler and Hootbro like this.
  7. Hootbro

Hootbro Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    If you do not mind me asking, what made you move on from the Silverado? I had a late 2014 Silverado that made me dump it because of interior rattle and fitment issues.

8. 15BlueStreak

15BlueStreak Senior Member

Ram Year:
    N/A
    Engine:
    N/A
    I may be being optimistic on 1:1 but definitely there has been a resurgence in gas hd trucks. I don't really know what we can attribute this too. Maybe more people being realistic in the needs, pocket book, or the gas engines and transmissions finally upping the game. I came from a 05 ford v10 and have never owned a diesel. My father owns a 6.0 powerstroke which is fun to get in and romp on. But the 6.4 hemi is def. fun to drive and has a really nice sound.

9. 67Guzzler

67Guzzler Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Here's my take...

The resale issue is CHANGING. Conventional wisdom has been that the 6.4L HEMI isn't resell-able. With 3 years under it's belt in the marketplace, it's catching on and they're selling pretty darn well. So this simply isn't true.

The 2017 Cummins ask is $9,200 list, $8,700 list if Laramie trim or higher. They dropped the price on the 6.4L HEMI in 2017 -- it's now FREE for Laramie on up and $500 below Laramie (SLT / BIG HORN / Tradesman, etc...).

So that's a NET of $8,700 list difference.

2016 on back the 6.4L HEMI was $1,395 for all trims and the Cummins was $8,900 so the difference / savings was much smaller, $7,500.

So for 2017 -- The 6.4L HEMI is $1,200 less expensive compared to the Cummins in 2016.

Stoplight to stoplight, the 6.4L HEMI is quite fast.

The 6.4L HEMI is a hell of a package now if you don't need to tow heavy.

-Guzzler

15BlueStreak and Mountaineer83 like this.
  10. SwollenMonkey16

SwollenMonkey16 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I always bagged on HD trucks with V8s. Almost as if they were posers. I needed to upgrade from a 1500 to a 2500 for work so obviously I wanted a Diesel but they scare me. I don't know anything about them and know they are more expensive to maintain than gas. So I went with the 6.4 and man I don't regret it one bit. You can barely tap on the pedal and it goes. I don't need the towing power of the cummins either I only needed the 8' bed to carry an air compressor and tools I also enjoyed saving 11k on a truck that can nearly keep up with the famous cummins. Glad to see more 6.4s out there.

15BlueStreak likes this.