the dead horse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I'm new and just bought a new to me 2012 ram hemi 4x2. I know this topic has been around along time and i have searched the internet for three days looking for facts and not opinions on what to do. So apologies to you guys that have answered this before.

I have an res that i think is non uconnect. (no phone buttons on radio or steering wheel) it does have satellite.

I want to upgrade to a nav radio. I will upgrade mirror to one with mic and I will also add back camera and if possible add the phone buttons to the steering wheel. Is it possible to add factory radio controls to a steering wheel? I know there are provisions on the back of wheel for them. I dont want to go aftermarket as I just like the clean look of factory.

So here is where it gets blurry and opinionated. What do I need? What was factory for the 2012 nav\radio ram with all the bells and whistles? I have found res,rbh,reh,rbz, 430. 730n and im pretty sure a few more. I know the ram has a high speed can bus. I understand it might not be plug and play and require a flash. What do I need and is this all possible?

Thanks

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most of what you listed is plug and play for the most part. Any of the steering wheel buttons require the wheel to be removed to add just the controls. There are replacement steering wheels with everything you want but they ain’t cheap. Far as I know, all of the radios from 08 - 16 will work but I’m not sure which if any need a dealer to add a code for them to work? back up camera is doable but a few have had issues doing it themselves. There are several threads already on all of the things your looking at and most have good part numbers and references.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

ram5813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I understood some of the other things I read correctly, uconnect 8.4 wont work on the 2012. Is that right?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
There's a diy about adding buttons somewhere on here. Fyi, if you cross reference those part numbers, you can find them in steering wheels from numerous Chrysler, dodge and fiat cars. I grabbed a town and country wheel cheaper than 2 new buttons from ebay. I pilfered the buttons, got a new back side of the wheel and wiring harness for a little more than half new price for all.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure any radio from "08 to 16" will work. The 09-12 dash was different from the 13+, not sure how you'd install the later radio without redoing the whole stereo area. On the other hand, many aftermarket systems will fit the 09-12 models with minimal issues. I have the 09 RER(?) with Nav, and it's decent, but if I had a standard system and was looking to upgrade, I'd go aftermarket. Have a look at Crutchfield for what fits, then go see where else you can get it from at a better price.

As for adding the steering wheel buttons, yes it can be done, but it's a lot of work. Is it worth it? That's up to you. If mine didn't have it, I wouldn't add it myself.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
save yourself and get an aftermarket. your truck is 6 years old and if you swap the radio that would be 6+ years also. technology has changed a lot since then. an aftermarket will sound better and have more functionality than the factory one. If it was me i would look into a basic double din with car play/android auto and call it a day.

OP
OP
R

ram5813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input so far. I was going to stay with the correct gen radio so 09-12 i didnt think the 13+ would work. wish it would. I agree about technology, I just dont like the look of after market stuff. I prefer a factory look and I have looked at alot of aftermarket head units and none of them look as good factory in my opinion. They look like an after thought, which obviously they are. Which is fine just not what im looking for. I would do the tesla 10.4 if it worked on a 12 but other than that didnt find much I liked.

So what is the correct head unit for a 2012 dodge ram with nav and all bells and whistles? rbh,rer,rbz,.....ect

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also keep in mind if you are looking at the nav unit the maps will be 6 years old. meaning if you want the most recent (if you can still get it for that radio) is about 150-200.

If you do not have the u-connect in the truck currently that is separate modules its not part of the radio. module, mic.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The steering wheel control portion is easy. I bought the parts for 90 bucks and had it done in less than an hour. I could do it faster if I were to do it again. Probably 30 min.

OP
OP
R

ram5813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The steering wheel control portion is easy. I bought the parts for 90 bucks and had it done in less than an hour. I could do it faster if I were to do it again. Probably 30 min.

Is the wiring already there is the wheel and column for the upgrade? So if I just bought the switch assemblies I could just add them to my existing wheel?

OP
OP
R

ram5813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can I add multiple cameras to the RHRS Uconnect 730N? Lockpick?

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you can add multiple cameras with the Lockpick, but not without it.