the dealer said the cummins wont turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been Keeping my eye out for this cummins for about 3 weeks now. I havent went and looked at it because the dealer said they cant get it to run and it is sold as is. I called them up and they said that they cant get it to roll over. I asked if they new what was wrong and they were not sure but from what people have been saying when they went to look at it was that it may need a new motor...
I am not familiar with diesel's so i didnt want to waste my time to look at it with out knowing what to look for. So what do you guys think it could be? it cant be a fuel pump bc they would have figured that out by now.
If it does need a new engine how much would that cost to fix? The price is very low but I was curious as how much it could potentially cost to fix. its a cummins so they have a lot of value and 155k miles isnt a whole lot for a diesel. So would this be somthing to keep an eye out for to possibly buy and fix up? Again I am not sure what to look for when it comes to diesels
heres the link from auto trader.
Cars for Sale: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck SLT in Suffield, CT 06078: Truck Details - 330775189 - AutoTrader.com

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Crack in the block , no compression

I will stick this over in the CTD section for ya bud

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If they cant get it to roll over could be hydro locked with bent rods. Could have split the verter locking the motor or even just a crapped out starter. For a mechanic might be worth the risk but hard to say.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Call around on the price of a long block. I'd think provided the truck is as clean as it looks, it'd be a good deal.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would pass
You can find them sometimes running with those miles around $13k

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea I wish I knew someone who would know more about it so I could bring them with me to look at it so I can figure out whats wrong with it and i could plan on how much it would cost to fix. I would try to get the price down as well bc a cummins would be really nice to have

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you get it? I clicked the link and it said the listing was no longer active or something??

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with this - that's a great looking truck.

Maybe because I'm simple-minded, I always think of the most simple explanation... is the dealer waiting for the glowplugs to heat up? My apologies for asking a stupid question if I missed something in the non-starting description.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Common Rail - Common failure point. What happen on common rail is the injectors fail causing a constant leak of rail pressure. So during cranking the starter speed isn't fast enough to build enough rail pressure to fire the injectors so you get a crank but no start condition. Then most people will sniff a shot of ether on the air filter to over come this problem. This is bad and shouldn't be done for 2 reasons. One because the grid heater could ignite the ether or two the failed injector continue to wash out the cylinder(s) as it runs. So typically Common Rail owner end up buying a short block. Seen lots of these so far...