The Tire Rotation Ripoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So went down to the local lube shop down the street to get the tires rotated on the wife's Honda Accord. $20 to do the job. Told the guy I would be back in a few minutes with my truck.

Got back with the truck and they were looking at me like a deer in headlights. Guy said he had to speak with his manager to see if they could do it. He comes back and says they can. $50 bucks:jawdrop:

I asked why it was so much more. He said the tires are heavier. I was like, :****:

******* a little and got it done for $40. Won't be going back there...

This was at an Express Oil Change and Service Center chain.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tire rotations are free!

At least at discount.

We didn't put the tires on either of these cars. They're due for newbies soon, will be looking to get the free tire rotations with the deal.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had to be $hifty Lube aka jiffy Lube
sounds like something they say
what a joke, "cuz there heavier..."

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to be $hifty Lube aka jiffy Lube
sounds like something they say
what a joke, "cuz there heavier..."

Yeah, they had a window in the lobby. I got to watch them sweat and strain to walk the tires 12' 4 times. They actually put 3 guys on the job and they carried them instead of rolling them. It was hilarious. I paid for it, figured I would watch the show! :hump:ing ding dongs!!!

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything related to tires or wheels I won't go anywhere other than discount tire. Customer service is top notch and they take care of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Walmart does my 35' 12.50 20 all year long for $2.50 a tire $10 bucks no tax. You sir got ripped off.

Yeah, no doubt! Have been there over the last couple of years for misc maintenance, but that was the last time they will have seen this guy.

As for Walmart, it is the next closest option. My buddy has been working there 20 years, I get to hear all the great stories about the exemplary employee work ethic. Although chances are I would not have an issue, I don't really want anyone there touching my truck. However, if they do screw up your vehicle, they will pay to fix it + sum with no questions asked. I'll just be rotating my own tires from now on. It will give me a chance to do a little cleaning!

jimm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 gas
Anything related to tires or wheels I won't go anywhere other than discount tire. Customer service is top notch and they take care of you

This used to be my feelings about Discount Tire before my last 3 visits there. I used to swear by them, it was a GREAT place. Well things have changed.

The shop in my area(BonneyLake,Wa.) has gone to heck bigtime. Went in for a simple tire rotation and I was AMAZED at the trouble they had with my dually 1ton on which they put the tires on a few years ago. It was unbelievable what I witnessed from the manager on down to the team of 2 young men that attempted a successful proper tire rotation, failing miserably. The Manager was about 30 yrs. old and knew less than his young workers.

I had SIX different issues on ONE tire rotation which took 2 visits and 2 1/2 hours of my time at their shop.

No more free tire rotations for me, I'll do it myself from now on. Serves me right for being lazy I guess.

One good thing about them, everyone employed there was quite friendly and seemed to actually try to do their job correctly.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@MarshRam what state do you live in, if you live on the west coast I would suggest Les schwab tire center, its kinda their thing to know how to properly rotate and inspect tires

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@MarshRam what state do you live in, if you live on the west coast I would suggest Les schwab tire center, its kinda their thing to know how to properly rotate and inspect tires

yup, Les schwab tire center took care of me for years until moving here. Not a one in this state sadly.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never paid for a tire rotation, ever..... if I don't do it myself most tire places or lub/tire places I've been to offer to do it for free... I've also been to Les Schwab with tires I didn't buy from them for a flat repair, which I offered to pay for since I didn't buy tires from them and they fixed it for free and rotated all tires for free.

Same with the Goodyear Tire center near my office I sometimes take my truck to to do oil and tire stuff when I don't have the time.... first time I took it to them they did a full inspection on the truck and charger when I took it to them and rotated tires, checked alignment and all I did was bring them the oil and had them do a oil change.. they also gave me a 15% discount I didn't ask for for being a firefighter.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, they had a window in the lobby. I got to watch them sweat and strain to walk the tires 12' 4 times. They actually put 3 guys on the job and they carried them instead of rolling them. It was hilarious. I paid for it, figured I would watch the show! :hump:ing ding dongs!!!

LOL, pansies. When my fifty-pound 10-plys showed up, I grabbed one in each hand and carried them a hundred feet to my shed to store them until later that week when I could get them mounted.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@YERET try doing that with 16 ply semi truck tires lmao, I used to work for Loves Travel stop and carring, mounting, dismounting, storaging semi tires all from 22.5 tires all the way up to 12R semi tires but I still see tire guys struggle caring a 27560r20 makes me giddy lol

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but I gotta give credit to guys at les schwab for working on farm equipment tires theyre the real MVP's

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Im in FL. Got a shop that will do it for 20 bucks, they were just ******* that day and I had to get it done. Probably going to get myself a new jack and jack stands for Christmas so I can do it myself. My current stands and jacks are for the cars, not going to cut it for the heavy + lifted Ram! Thanks for posting an option though...

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting my BFG KO2's from Costco on a good price. Free tire rotations every 5K. Free air checks and TQ checks, etc. Priced from other local tire dealers and Costco was $130 cheaper.

Last edited:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
@YERET try doing that with 16 ply semi truck tires lmao, I used to work for Loves Travel stop and carring, mounting, dismounting, storaging semi tires all from 22.5 tires all the way up to 12R semi tires but I still see tire guys struggle caring a 27560r20 makes me giddy lol

I'm willing to wager a pair of such tires weighs more than me, so unless I've knocked back a forty of Steel Reserve, I don't think I'd want to try, LOL.

And holy s***, 16-ply? And just when I was feeling pretty badass with my 10-plys. But then, there's quite the difference between an unloaded half ton and a ******* semi which has to yank 80,000+ pounds, LOL. Those are the suckers that literally explode deer across a quarter-mile stretch of highway when they hit.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Down here in SC, we have Frank's. I get pretty good deals on tires, lifetime free rotation and repairs. I usually go to them for oil changes too, so I get it done at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio