The Tire Rotation Ripoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I only paid my Firestone dealer 20 bucks for life time balance and tire rotation because they came on the truck when I bought it brand new. They are Goodyear. They always treat me right. That's why I do my business with them. And I've never have had a problem with their tires or oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This used to be my feelings about Discount Tire before my last 3 visits there. I used to swear by them, it was a GREAT place. Well things have changed.

The shop in my area(BonneyLake,Wa.) has gone to heck bigtime. Went in for a simple tire rotation and I was AMAZED at the trouble they had with my dually 1ton on which they put the tires on a few years ago. It was unbelievable what I witnessed from the manager on down to the team of 2 young men that attempted a successful proper tire rotation, failing miserably. The Manager was about 30 yrs. old and knew less than his young workers.

I had SIX different issues on ONE tire rotation which took 2 visits and 2 1/2 hours of my time at their shop.

No more free tire rotations for me, I'll do it myself from now on. Serves me right for being lazy I guess.

One good thing about them, everyone employed there was quite friendly and seemed to actually try to do their job correctly.
Ok, call me stupid but what's the proper rotation for a dually? Had never really thought about it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few cold wobbley pops,tq wrench,jack stands and you can do it yerself ..That $40 buys beers and a pizza..

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Ok, call me stupid but what's the proper rotation for a dually? Had never really thought about it.

There's only one way to have each wheel in a different position. If the tires aren't directional then you would just switch them left to right, right to left. If they are directional then you would have to pop'em off the rims and turn them around.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's only one way to have each wheel in a different position. If the tires aren't directional then you would just switch them left to right, right to left. If they are directional then you would have to pop'em off the rims and turn them around.
After I ask that question I googled tire rotation and it actually has rotation for duallys on there. I was surprised at all the options even for just 4 tires. When radials first came out they said they had to be kept on same side of vehicle, not that way anymore.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Places like that never get my business. And that's just a bad way to do business anyways. Some people are just too stupid to see the big picture.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After I ask that question I googled tire rotation and it actually has rotation for duallys on there. I was surprised at all the options even for just 4 tires. When radials first came out they said they had to be kept on same side of vehicle, not that way anymore.

Really ??? Never heard that, and I've been driving for almost 40 yrs.

Almost car I have owned had radials, and the recommended rotation was to cross the front as they move to the rear, and and bring the rear straight forward. I never looked at he spare included rotation, as I never did that.

The only ones that said to keep the tires on the same side were the cars/trucks with directional tread patterns on the tires.

And the worst was an 86 IROC-Z....as it had different offset on the front & rear rims, plus directional tires. It sucked as to rotate them you had to dismount and remount/rebalance all 4 tires to get them on the correct rims.

Goodyear got real pissed at me when they sold me a set of gatorback tires for it, and they included in the sales contract, lifetime free rotation & balance. After the 3rd of 4th time, they tried to say they wouldn't do it anymore, and I showed them the contract saying they would. At the 5th or 6th time, they said no more.....I didn't really care as the tires were shot by then anyways.....but I didn't buy the new news from them.

Last edited:

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I started doing my own tire rotations years ago after many bad experiences:

* Scatched up wheels
* Lug nuts not torqued to spec (usually too tight). Not a torque wrench in sight.
* Lug nuts only finger tight (caught "techs" on more than one occasion lowering vehicle without tightening one or more nuts)
* Rotated incorrectly (Marked the tires so I knew where they should be moved)
* Filthy "techs" getting dirt all over the interior moving vehicles in and out of service bays

With my floor jacks, A/C Delco Impact Wrench, and Craftsman Torque Wrench, I can rotate my truck tires in 30 minutes.

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
Yeah, they had a window in the lobby. I got to watch them sweat and strain to walk the tires 12' 4 times. They actually put 3 guys on the job and they carried them instead of rolling them. It was hilarious. I paid for it, figured I would watch the show! :hump:ing ding dongs!!!

Jiffy Lube is a rip off!!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So went down to the local lube shop down the street to get the tires rotated on the wife's Honda Accord. $20 to do the job. Told the guy I would be back in a few minutes with my truck.

Got back with the truck and they were looking at me like a deer in headlights. Guy said he had to speak with his manager to see if they could do it. He comes back and says they can. $50 bucks:jawdrop:

I asked why it was so much more. He said the tires are heavier. I was like, :****:

******* a little and got it done for $40. Won't be going back there...

This was at an Express Oil Change and Service Center chain.

I’d have left and most definitely would not go back

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4

Ramjet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion, lube shops don't always employ ace mechanics anyway. I would run away quick

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, never been back. The shop I purchased my life of tires alignment from rotates them for me for $15!