Thinking of buying a 2014 Ram Tradesman - anything to look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Wright

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found a decent 2014 Ram Tradesman 1500 for sale locally and really like it, but wanted to find out if there are any serious issues I should look for before buying. I know that the Gen 3 trucks had some serious rust issues, and by reading through this forum, even some Gen 4 models have the same problem. Is there anything else I should check?

thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a decent 2014 Ram Tradesman 1500 for sale locally and really like it, but wanted to find out if there are any serious issues I should look for before buying. I know that the Gen 3 trucks had some serious rust issues, and by reading through this forum, even some Gen 4 models have the same problem. Is there anything else I should check?

thanks
There are not a tremendous amount of issues with these trucks. It would be good to try to find one with the 8 speed instead of the 6 speed. The 8 speed is definitely a better option. If the truck has the rotory shifter dial it's an 8 speed if the shifter is on the column it's a 6 speed. Also if you can find one with the RA2 5.0 touchscreen Bluetooth Radio setup it's much better than the standard RA1 3.0 non Bluetooth setup. If you're not familiar with the difference just check and see if it has the little overhead console in the headliner if it does it is equipped with RA2. If the truck does not have the RA2 Radio and you want to install later it's an easy conversion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cam and Lifters have a higher fail rate then most engines. resale isn't that great, i hope you are getting a smoking deal. Great trucks though, if you ask me the best of the big 3 are Rams. If you get the 8 speed even better, in fact I would only buy the 8 speed, coil back suspensions are wonderful. Spend some time listen to idle, make sure you don't have hemi tick. if it is ticking, don't buy it.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
100% Agree with these guys. 8Spd, Overhead console. My truck came with neither, and I had to put the Overhead console in myself (PITA), and the 6spd is junk IMHO. I'll never buy another truck with this transmission.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would also look for one with an LSD. A truck with a documented service history is preferable to one that doesn't have one. Check the headliner and footwells for signs of water intrusion. Common problem thru the 3rd brk light. Easy fix, if it has been leaking. 5 mins and 5 bucks.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
100% Agree with these guys. 8Spd, Overhead console. My truck came with neither, and I had to put the Overhead console in myself (PITA), and the 6spd is junk IMHO. I'll never buy another truck with this transmission.
I wouldn’t call the 6 speed junk

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2013 with the hemi 6 speed and I much prefer it over the 8 speed. It did perfect for 140,000+ miles, even towing a couple of heavy trailers.

My 2017 has the 8 speed and it shifts constantly. Drives me nuts on even a slightly road. A headwind will cause it to kick down one or even two gears.

Cruising on level ground, the dumb thing won’t downshift to pass another vehicle until it feels like it or I have to practically jump on the throttle.

Plus I absolutely hate the rotary shifter. I had the floor shift on the console in my2013 and loved it.

I actually thought about selling the 2017 and looking for a low mileage 6 speed. But then I came to my senses....would lose my butt.

Someone will talk about the greater mpg. Nope it’s almost the same. A crummy 17 mpg while my sons silverado gets 22+. Ugh

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2013 6 spd 5.7 Tradesman and love it! Transmission is smooth and shifts when I want/need it to. Mine has the 3.92 gears so that helps too. I do wish mine had the overhead console and better radio though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is it a base tradesman or an Express? a fully loaded Tradesman is an Express but that year the 8speed was an option on top of the express w/ popular equipment package, as is an LSD. grab the vin number and check the build sheet. I vote for the 8 speed, I have had both in a 2014 express and I think the 8 speed responds much better, it shifts up and down sequentially unlike the 6 speed and that was one of my biggest gripes.

What are your plans for the truck? just put gas in it and drive it, or do you plan to mod it too?

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t call the 6 speed junk
I would, What ever gear set I have in my truck, along with the 6spd causes the truck to have no idea what gear to be in. Ontop of the cylinder detonation adding almost like an extra gear into the mix, my truck is always confused.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would, What ever gear set I have in my truck, along with the 6spd causes the truck to have no idea what gear to be in. Ontop of the cylinder detonation adding almost like an extra gear into the mix, my truck is always confused.

THIS! between MDS and no sequential shifting you loose so much power through the trans its not even funny. If you live in an area with hills you will know this first hand. if your traveling at 35-40 mph, start an incline you are stuck in 5th gear, you have to press the petal to the floor to get it to come out of MDS, and downshift gears, at this point you have dropped to about 25mph and slam into second gear at WOT, once it shifts you up your back at the same situation again. Horrible transmission. the 8 speed does none of this, its smooth and fast and predicts load way better than the 6speed. Theres a reason they dont offer the 6 speed on the 1500's anymore

from what I understand the 6 speed on the HD's had sequential shifting and a much better TC, its a totaly different transmission

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2013 6 spd 5.7 Tradesman and love it! Transmission is smooth and shifts when I want/need it to. Mine has the 3.92 gears so that helps too. I do wish mine had the overhead console and better radio though.

I forgot to mention that I “don’t” love my 6 spd trany when the MDS is activated (it’s all over the place). I keep it off as much as possible. I also have a Pedal Commander and that really made a big difference when/how my trany shifts and acts.

TallBoy1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 6spd and it does a lot of searching as well
My model does not have the option to cut the mds off that is the eco garbage right?
It has not come back on since I had motor replaced
Maybe the messed it up like they did everything else
This is my 3rd motor in this truck
Can't keep frontends under it
At 136k miles I can't afford to get rid of it either
Definitely not a work truck

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THIS! between MDS and no sequential shifting you loose so much power through the trans its not even funny. If you live in an area with hills you will know this first hand. if your traveling at 35-40 mph, start an incline you are stuck in 5th gear, you have to press the petal to the floor to get it to come out of MDS, and downshift gears, at this point you have dropped to about 25mph and slam into second gear at WOT, once it shifts you up your back at the same situation again. Horrible transmission. the 8 speed does none of this, its smooth and fast and predicts load way better than the 6speed. Theres a reason they dont offer the 6 speed on the 1500's anymore

from what I understand the 6 speed on the HD's had sequential shifting and a much better TC, its a totaly different transmission
Exactly the situation's I run into. I live in Pennsylvania, where the most you'll ever drive flat for is about 100 yards. Numerous times I've been in a neighborhood trying to accelerate and all of a sudden i'm at 4k rpm waking everyone up with my exhaust because my truck doesn't know how to downshift properly. It became much more bothersome after I installed my exhaust. When I first started to notice it I really thought my truck was slipping gears, until I read that every six speed does this.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would, Ontop of the cylinder detonation adding almost like an extra gear into the mix, my truck is always confused.

I HATE. it when my truck gets confused!!! Lol

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I HATE. it when my truck gets confused!!! Lol
I'm with you bud. I have another year or so with this truck then I'm going to trade it in for a crew cab 8spd. I'm just hoping that in that year my payments catch up with my value lol

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 8spd with 3.92 doesn't constantly search for gears, it always seems to know which one it should be in. It's also very smooth at shifting.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 6 speed and was annoyed enough to buy a tuner. It wasn't so bad until I put on a different exhaust and in combination with the MDS kicking on was pretty irritating and borderline embarrassing when I had passengers.

I shut the MDS off with the tuner and with the benefit of shift point modification it's all good even when driving in hilly areas.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back onto a non-tranny topic, I see the O/P is on the east coast. There are a number of places these trucks rust out ..and it can be bad. You would want to do some rustprooing right away if you bought this 2014 you're looking at. Do a search for a long 'rustproofing' thread, there are pictures of some trucks that seemed like accelerated rusting (also on the east coast) in places you wouldn't think they would rust out (like middle of front fender). It'll give you an idea where to start your rustroofing, so you don't run into the same problems.

Otherwise, I think they're great trucks. Consider what you to with yours. I don't tow hardly at all so for me the 6 spd works fine. I haven't had any problems other than the CD gets stuck in the radio.